• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Octane Booster

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Look for something that contains MMT (if you can find it). The others don't do much, unless you use a whole lot of them. But back when I accidentally shaved too much off a head, I found that the MMT would form deposits that seemed to help, so after 5 or 10 tankfuls, I could back off a bit on the amount I used.

But the brand I was buying then got bought out by someone else, and they took out the MMT.

One thing to keep in mind when reading the advertising claims, a "point" is 0.1 octane number. There are other ways they "fudge" the number to make them look better than they are, but that's the big one.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
arizonamike said:
There is no pinging or knocking now,
In that case, ignore what I said above. Any snake oil should do fine.

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
arizonamike said:
There is no pinging or knocking now, but want to deter any and keep engine clean of any carbon build up.
The best way to prevent excess carbon is to have the ignition in proper time, the carbs mixture set correctly and drive in a spirted manner as much as the law allows.

M

Member 10617

Be sure to watch the Moss video on this topic. It will answer many of your questions and reinforces what Poolboy has said.

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
arizonamike said:
There is no pinging or knocking now, but want to deter any and keep engine clean of any carbon build up.
<span style="font-size: 11pt">
Mike: do you mean you wont be decarbonizing the engine every periodically </span> :lol:

decarbonize.jpg

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Not since you can buy 93 octane at the pump. When 85 octane was all that was available I did for a while to try to avoid rebuilding to a lower compression. In the end, I wound up rebuilding it anyway...as Avgas and octane boost were just to pricey to use continuously.

By the way, the Avgas, mixed with pump no lead, worked the best...but hard to do on a road trip.

John

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
arizonamike said:
Anyone remember Sunoco 260 :smile:

Used it exclusively in my high compression Harley. I'm not sure, but I think it was 100 Octane. PJ

billspohn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
arizonamike said:
So, does anyone use an octane booster?

Octane booster on a stock British sports car is a waste of money as long as you have a premium fuel grade available.

The biggest single source of coking up is leaving the choke on too long, but people are impatient and would rather drive away with the choke on than start it, immediately take the choke off and sit there while it warms up, which is the proper way to do it, and, along with making sure running mixture isn't too rich, of course, pretty much eliminates any need for 'decoking'.

If you have no hot spots in the chambers, most sports cars will run on regular - my MGA (8.3) and MGC (9.0) certainly do, without ping.

I don't even use octane booster on my 10.7 Lambo.