• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Another Ebay trouble child?

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
It would be a problem here in California, too, as I understand things. It seems that he switched the body ID tag to the Bugeye. That's no-no, but I understand that it is done frequently. It's one thing to switch tags between two similar cars, where it's hard to tell that was done, but from a 70 Midget to a 60 Bugeye is a different story altogether. Let's hope that the guy at the DMV doesn't know the difference.

Whitephrog

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Eight different bidders must not see an issue. I would make certain that I'd done my homework before bidding. Hope they did.

Spriteman65

I would never buy that vehicle. Switching the VIN tag from one car to another I believe is a federal crime. It's up to 17 bids now, amazing so many people are not worried about this.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I don't think the average DMV employee will ever know what's up. Besides, if the title is otherwise currently "clean," it should transfer OK.

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I've yet to hear a success story using the Judson on a 1275, especially with the Holley carb. I personally dislike cars with black engine bays... unless the car is black. Spells "shortcut" big time to me.

"reportedly rebuilt"... I guess that covers it too. I hear a lot of empty promises... and who in their right mind would use the VIN from a 70 Midget, especially when it's often possible to figure out the original!

It is not a bugeye- it is a 70 midget modified to look like a bugeye. It is all in how you look at it.

m

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Gerard said:
I personally dislike cars with black engine bays... unless the car is black. Spells "shortcut" big time to me.

"reportedly rebuilt"... I guess that covers it too.

Boy, I agree. I always figure that if the engine-bay (even the underside of the car) is painted black, there is a reason. Yes, I know that many just like it that way, but I suppose I prefer the cleaner look of the full car body color in all those places (and it's original-looking that way).

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
SilentUnicorn said:
It is not a bugeye- it is a 70 midget modified to look like a bugeye. It is all in how you look at it.

m

Not with those 1/4 elliptical springs it's not ... It's a 70 Midget chassis plate with a bugeye slipped under it. This VIN swapping might escape undetected as the seller says, "Not to worry!" OTOH, I'd worry a lot, but I'm paranoid about this kind of stuff. I'm too pretty to go to jail.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
HealeyRick said:
SilentUnicorn said:

m

Not with those 1/4 elliptical springs it's not ... It's a 70 Midget chassis plate with a bugeye slipped under it. This VIN swapping might escape undetected as the seller says, "Not to worry!" OTOH, I'd worry a lot, but I'm paranoid about this kind of stuff. I'm too pretty to go to jail.

That's what I thought. LOT'S of Midget stuff on it, but more a Mark 1 than anything. Frankly, I don't think that's all that unusual... but to register the car as a 1970 is very odd.

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
I wasn't aware that switching VIN plates is a federal offense. Yikes! It's worse than I thought!

The black engine bay is off-putting to me too. Funny how things like this can bother you. Wheels painted the wrong color have the same effect on me. Like an otherwise nice TR4 on eBay right now, here . The fact that it has the wrong carbs and dashboard doesn't bother me as much as the wheel color. Just a personal thing, I know, but there it is.

bug_sixty

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Need to get some legal advise for sure..but would image a paper trail of parts purchases including the body and disclosure of such to the DMV would go a long ways with the arm of the law....Now, if the body numbers trace some how comes reveals a long ago stolen car.. YOU are SOL baby..-- Read stories about such cases all the time.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Given that it has risen to $9200 with days to go, this could spike up several thousand more in the last few days. It'll be fun to watch.

Morris

Yoda
In Texas... if you show up with a piece of paper they will register your car. No one has ever asked to inspect any car I have registered. Back in the day, unless you bought a car from a dealer, it was your word as a gentleman as to how much you paid as well. No you have to feel out a little piece of paper. I guess some people feel worse about lying on paper than they do in speech. If you get pulled over, the police only want to see if you have a registration sticker in the window. I have never been asked to show proof of registration.... and I have been pulled over plenty.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Morris said:
In Texas... if you show up with a piece of paper they will register your car. No one has ever asked to inspect any car I have registered. Back in the day, unless you bought a car from a dealer, it was your word as a gentleman as to how much you paid as well. No you have to feel out a little piece of paper. I guess some people feel worse about lying on paper than they do in speech. If you get pulled over, the police only want to see if you have a registration sticker in the window. I have never been asked to show proof of registration.... and I have been pulled over plenty.

Good point. Depending where the buyer lives, there could be no problems or big problems with such a purchase,