• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3 Transmission Installation Hints / Tips Please!

Russ Austin

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
After changing my gear oil in my transmission I found bits and pieces of metal as well as a lot of bronze in the old gear oil. Called a friend (BCF member Donnie Oxindine) hey you got an extra transmission sure he said come on up. Well to make a long story a little shorter, I'm now trying to install the transmission replacement. I have a jack under the rear of the engine and another under the transmission, and I'm stuck about an inch from being in place any hints, tips or antidotes.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Sounds like the clutch plate was not adequately lined up with the pilot bearing. I found the plastic tool from one of the "Big 3" to be worse than useless, I could do a better job feeling down the hole with my finger.

Try grabbing the output flange and wiggling it back and forth as far as you can in every direction.

OP
Russ Austin

Russ Austin

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I have a clutch alinement tool, didn't remove or mess with the clutch it should have remained in place.

donbmw

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Don't have any hints, just know it's a pain. I remember pulling the trans with the body off and it did not slip off easly then. Removing the trans with the body in place it is hard to grab and even with help on removing and installed. I will be putting my trans back in this weekend not looking forward to it.

OP
Russ Austin

Russ Austin

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I'm going to remove the propeller shaft from the rear to give me more room to manuver the transmission out and just check the alinement on the clutch just to make sure.

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Make sure the throw-out bearing is not binding on the shaft because the tabs on the release fork came out of the bronze sleeve. If you let the bearing move forward during installation the tabs will come out of the sleeve and then you can't push the trans on all the way. You can put a wire on the fork to keep it back. Just remember to pull it out before you button it up

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Sounds like you are not lined up parallel or might have moved the clutch when you pulled the old one out. Sometimes you have to unhook the exhaust to get the engine to tip back enough to be on the same plane. If fought the new installation much, you probably moved the clutch.

donbmw

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
I just put my transmission back in with out any help. I eyeballed where I though the engine needed to be and had the jack under the transmission about the right height. Transmission shaft slide right on but the last inch or so. Jacked the engine alittle each time and final had the right place for it to line up and it slide right on. Went back in easier than it came out.

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
I remove the short dowels at the top of the engine, and replace with about 2" bolts with the heads cut off - usefull to get the alighnment right with the gearbox - then with the gearbox in gear move the output flange a little to engage the clutch. A little wiggling and it should push home for you.

OP
Russ Austin

Russ Austin

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Got back at this evening, removed the propeller shaft and pulled the transmission back out. Got the alignment tool out and it didn't go in very far, loosened the clutch and was able to insert the alignment tool all the way. So I thought that might be the problem, got the transmission back in place and it's still an inch and half out. Going to call it a night, I learned a long time ago if you start to get frustrated walk away and come back to it later. After my grandson ball game I'll get back at it, I don't miss any of his games.

oxendine

Jedi Hopeful
Russ, I told you to let me know when you planned on the install and I"d come down to help. Mine was a bear by myself. That's why I have girls with husbands!

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
It sounds like you may have experience with this. But, gotta ask...are you putting it in 4th gear and turning the yoke to line up the input shaft splines with the clutch disc splines? If that is not the prob, then the angle may be off...like maybe the engine is jacked just a bit to high to line up the tranny.

John

OP
Russ Austin

Russ Austin

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Victorious, Triumphant after struggling for 3 or 4 days, with the help and hints for the BBCF (Best British Car Forum)in the world. I found a couple of long bolts with the same thread and cut the heads off and used them as longer dowel pins also on the advice from Donnie O. I greased the shaft and it all came together, so tomorrow I will put a seat in before I button everything up and take for a short test trip.

OP
Russ Austin

Russ Austin

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Got the slave cylinder in place bolted in one seat and took it for a test drive. Sweet, all gears shift smoothly. Now it's clean time and getting it prepared for new carpet installation, the fun just doesn’t stop!