• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Parts???

nomad

Yoda
Besides Dave Bean where should I look for Elan parts. (Cheap and good of course!!)

Kurt.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Kurt, a LOT of the bits are Triumph. Don't overlook the possibility for saving some cash with a bit of parts matching! :wink:

OP
N

nomad

Yoda
Thanks Doc, saving is good for a charter member of the 'we cheeeep' club. Don't know why I'm fooling with Loti!

Kurt.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
You WILL when you get in and DRIVE one, sir. :laugh:

OP
N

nomad

Yoda
Well I've become a small quick car affictionato with spridgets and always wanted a Lotus so have bit the bullet on an S1. The drive is what I'm looking forward to!!!
Can you tell me which parts in general were Triumph, Doc? Assume from the Europa post front hubs, steering.

Kurt.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Much/most of the front suspension, steering column/switches. And of course the electrics are Lucas, so most of that is "generic" (in a British sort o' way).

The S-1 is really Spartan as well, so there's not much beyond the coachwork, interior trim and the rear suspension that's proprietary.

Engine is a cast iron Kent block, EnFo. The head is about the only "Unobtanium" bit. Internals of the gearbox and diffy are proprietary cuts but the box is Ford, the diff housing is proprietary.

...you <span style="font-style: italic">know</span> your project is gonna liven up this end of the swamp, right? :wink:

There are a few here who've done 'em from contact patch, up. Some of us more than a few times. Ask away! We need to drag Lotus Position and Roger into this.

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!!! And don't neglect photos! :laugh:

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
What's the serial number?
I once owned #3892.

- Doug

OP
N

nomad

Yoda
Thanks folks, I'm sure to be asking a lot of question's. I havn't picked up the car yet so officially not a done deal yet. Told the serial but did not keep track of it but know its not the very early one which, I believe, would give me a few problems in restoration.
Was hoping the diff was 100% Triumph. Gear box is a close ratio.
Do know the Kent block was tough. Had a friend that loved 70's Fiestas and the things done with them.

Kurt.

OP
N

nomad

Yoda
Just as a curiosity I wonder how far from the Fiesta motor the block Chapman used is? If the head was bad a guy could............

Kurt.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
BLASPHEMY!!! Go to your room! :jester:

We can likely find ya a head if the original is somehow FUBAR... but I doubt it'd be beyond repair.

Roger

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
The Fiesta motor is based on the crossflow block, which is slightly taller than the pre-crossflow block used for the Lotus TC motor. Nevertheless, people have put TC heads on the newer block with a spacer for the front cover, or you can get specially cast front covers for them. As also mentioned, you can get newly cast blocks and heads, and in truth I don't think they are really pricey, at least not when compared with other makes. I believe that in England you can buy a brand-new Big Valve head, complete and assembled with valve seats, guides, valves, springs, cam followers, camshafts etc. for about 4,000 pounds (say $6,500 USD). A lot, maybe, but not exorbitant, particularly when you look how the prices of Elans are escalating.

The diff is 100% Ford in a Lotus casting.
Front Suspension is based on Triumph Herald / Spitfire; brakes are model-dependent and may be Triumph or Ford Cortina; engine and transmission (apart from the head and diff casing) are Ford Cortina and its kin, rear suspension is Lotus, as is body and chassis frame, electrics by Sir Joseph, trim from a scavenge of other makers' parts bins!

Much though I enjoy this forum, excellent support for Elan affairs can also be found at LotusElan.net which has a good cross-section of Elan owners from the UK, US, and other far-flung places and is, like this, a pleasurable forum to visit.

I have no connection, by the way, and hope Basil doesn't mind me plugging them.

OP
N

nomad

Yoda
DrEntropy said:
BLASPHEMY!!! Go to your room! :jester:

We can likely find ya a head if the original is somehow FUBAR... but I doubt it'd be beyond repair.

Ha!! Figured that would get a rise!!

Thanks also ,Roger,for those tidbits. I figured plenty of knowledge with this group!

Kurt.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I put a Fiesta & Cortina 1600 block next to each other,
& made notes about the differences between them.
The Fiesta block has a lot of differences,due to the fact
that it's turned sideways.Engine mounts are cast in a different
place,& the water pumps different,plus a lot more things that I
can't think of right now.The Elan used a 1500 block.

- Doug

OP
N

nomad

Yoda
Just day dreaming, Doug. Looks like I will be using Mr Chapmans handy work!

Pick the car up later today and find out what I've gotten my self into!
Been spending quite a bit of time on Rogers suggested site reading. Haven't jumped into the fray as of yet.

Kurt

Roger

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Well done Kurt! When you have got it right, it's not really like any other, apart from cars like Sevens and single-seaters.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
:iagree:

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-size: 17pt">LET'S GET THIS PARTY STARTED!!!</span></span></span>

:laugh: