• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

NASCAR on Speed vision

trboost

Jedi Trainee
If I have to see any more NASCAR on SpeedVision my head will explode. I have nothing against NASCAR , I just don't want to see it 24/7.
C'mone guy's give us some new material. If I'm not watching 3 year old re-runs of my classic car then their running an exersize infomercial. Somehow I think there's plenty of new , fresh , interesting car related projects or shows out there. It's a big world with millions of car enthousiasts, you would think they would have an abundance of material.
Where's Allan D'cadane when you need him ( I'm sure I spelled his name wrong)

Yellowdog

The Speed channel is just taking part in the great American game of following the money.

75 million fans nationwide, $200,000,000 at the track on any given Sunday and a $5 billion annual advertising budget (not to mention the Busch Series, Craftsmant Trucks or trinket sales) vs. a few of us that want to see something about old english cars??? Not too hard to understand. Jerry somebody and "show me the money".

Ahhh yes, capitalism truly works. . . . On the other hand, old NASCAR beats those european semi truck races (well, in my book at least!)

MichaelF

Agreed on all points. I believe NASCAR owns part of speed channel does it not? Certainly the kind of money they can throw at a network will guarantee exposure and I have to salute NASCAR marketing savvy. They somehow even made it patriotic.

My hope is that once the great crowd of new fans gains in sophistication, they may see good ole boys going in circles as a bit lame. Any road race circuit is much better. Endurance racing and F1 is remarkable and WRC is utterly awesome. Now THAT is real driving!

G

I understand NASCAR is a juggernaut these days, but come on. I'm with TRboost, if I see any more of it I'm gonna scream. There has to be something else they can show besides worn out episodes of Barrett Jackson car search. Even when they're not showing a NASCAR race they're showing race analysis shows, or driver interview shows or something like that. It's pretty much all NASCAR related most of the day.

I'm so sick of NASCAR I'd even take the European semi racing over it.

Webb Sledge

Jedi Warrior
I personally think NASCAR is boring. A bunch of cars that look and sound the same going around the exact same line in an oval for 200 or so laps can drive you nuts, and that's just one race! I'd much rather watch some FIA GT racing or SPEED World Challange. That's where the real racing's at. I also am beginning to hate Formuala 1 more and more. There is less and less passing with each season, and so far the Ferrari juggernaut is dominating everything.

G

It'll be interesting to see if Ferrari's dominance continues after Michael retires. Although I find the last few seasons of F1 to be a little less exciting, I can't knock Ferrari for continuing to field fantastic cars and two top notch drivers. I just wish the other teams were able to compete on a monetary level. If they had the funds available to them that Ferrari does for their F1 budgets I wonder if that would make them more competetive.

Agreed, watching paint dry is more interesting than watching a NASCAR go-round. The only time it gets interesting is when they race at the Glen.

OP
trboost

trboost

Jedi Trainee
The only thing worse than the race is the pre-race jabber & the post race banter. IT JUST ISN'T THAT INTERESTING ! Besides that , they show film clips of cars going in a circle.
I know this is tough. I know it takes skil. I understand there's alot of very high tech stuff on those cars, I just don't enjoy this in exclusion of everything else automotive.
I might go so far as to say, If I had to watch programs about only British cars, how they work, their history, owner restoration & improvement tips I would probably hate that too. OK I lied, I would LOVE that , but that will never happen. Oh well I can dream can't I.

Super 7

Jedi Warrior
Thats a neat TR, Boost. The blower installation looks clean, too. That is a wierd looking autocross though. Is that the parking test part?

Are there some more photos of your car posted? How much power does it have?

mailbox

Jedi Knight
Country flag
OK, OK, I'll grant you that it can be a bit overwhelming with all of the pre and post race shows, but lets be honest, they wouldn't show it if someone wasn't watching it. NASCAR outranks all other forms of motorsports combined in viewership and race attendance in the U.S. As far as boring goes, Ricky Craven- Kurt Busch Rockingham 2003 or the 2003 Daytona truck race. THIRD place was only a fender length behind. Last time I saw any other race they were 1/2 a course length ahead. YAWN!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
OK Guys, I live within 50 miles of most of the NASCAR teams home bases and everybody thinks they are Dale Jr, but I have learned to love the sport. WE all love our cars and Speed has a lot of the old races but repeat so much I can almost do the dialogue but I still enjoy all. They do most of this stuff early in the morning or late at night, so VCR it. The best is watching the TR's win 1,2,3 at the 24 Hours at LeMans in the mid '60's. Wayne

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
I thought the channel was called NascarVision and they had some programs called Speed now and then.

OP
trboost

trboost

Jedi Trainee
Your right Super7. This was taken at a local British car event where there was a driving test of time including a Le mans start & short run with the car in a couple of manuvers. I also did the autocross that day too, which I sucked at & got lost (alot) . I screwed the pics up when uploading them & I'm to lazy to retitle the pic.
I have other pics if you want to see something specific let me know.
I would like a second TR for autoX only because I would destroy my daily driver if I did this seriously. I attend the local SCCA & Porsche autoX as a lurker enjoying the cars & talent.
The last time I autox'd with intent was in my 240Z in 1975 & time trials at Bridgehamton race track in NY 75-1980. I miss it.

bfitz

Country flag
I'll be brief. I like NASCAR, if you haven't felt the field take the green at Daytona you don't know what you're missing. I have a TR3, I like it. I also like 3500lb cars with 750 hp. I don't like snobby elitists.

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
I really don't enjoy Nascar. F1 seems more like a high-speed procession every year, so that has really lost its appeal. Now having said that, I think that rallying is fun to watch, always has been, and any historic racing (especially tapes of actual racing) is worth watching too.

Beavis

[ QUOTE ]
you would think they would have an abundance of material.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, technology for batteries has improved significantly. In the late 1990s, the technology was basically ready to make 200+ mile range electric cars with NiMH batteries(Unfortunately bought out by Chevron-Texaco that refuses to mass produce them for an EV market).

You'd think someone out there could do a show on alternative-fueled cars, centering around racing them, hopping them up into high performance beasts. Discovery Channel aired Sucking Amps, which was about building a 600 horsepower electric postal van, but that's no fun compared to a tiny sportscar being made into a long-range and quick 13-second 1/4 mile EV that will kill anything at an autocross.

I think a show to draw attention to this subject is needed. If people saw Roderick Wilde's electric Mazda RX7 popping wheelies and pulling 11s beating the Dodge Viper next to it at the strip, or John Wayland's electric Datsun 1200 winning a soundoff competition with its 1500 watt stereo system and leaving a 30-foot trail of rubber during a stoplight drag with a Ford F350 superduty, people might start to think about what the auto industry is forcing them to miss out on by refusing to offer it.

Such a thing would be so far out and politically incorrect in this day and age, it may end up drawing a lot of attention. Of course, everything would depend on who owns the Speed Channel. Their windtunnel program is rife with innaccuracies and bogus politics and pundits. You should take a look at Mulholland Raceway's conversations with these people.

Darwin

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
Quite a diverse set of opinions. Personally, I love watching Nascar. The pre and post game show allow me to feel like I know some of the drivers. Yes watching them go around in circles can be boring until you realize the are on the ragged edge of traction every minute. F1 on the other hand is BORING. Cars with enough downforce you could probably drive them on the cealing, so much traction you really have to make a major mistake to spin them out, and only one or two possible passing spots per laps. Now SCCA racing is a thrill a minute as is the ALMS. I like the vintage races but shutter to think of the lose of one of those cars. It makes my heart bleed everytime we lose another of these vintage wonder.

OP
trboost

trboost

Jedi Trainee
My opinion is similar to Darwins. Formula 1 certainly is super high tech, ultra fast racing, but their cars are so heavily electronicaly controled, between the computers controling traction & entry speed into the pits I wonder if they really need a driver. Again, I'm sure it takes enlarged cahones to head into a turn at 200mph but I feel like some much of the drivers skil is muted.
On the other hand there's vintage racing. I have come to appreciate these beatifull cars with not a heck of alot controlling the car except for the driver. The driver truly has to pilot this mechanical marvel around a road course with out the help of all the electronics and driver aids in a modern race car. It gets back to the basics of racing, The skil of the driver & his ability to control & adapt to a changing situation, to find and maintain balance. I loved the racing in the late 60's thru the 80's in sports car E,C & F production racing, it was truly exciting to watch.

AltaKnight

Jedi Knight
I'm not sure what it's called but now and again I've seen some car racing on tv that's from UK or Europe on flat tracks (not ovals) with lots of turns racing small brightly painted street (I'm sure they're souped up) looking cars that only seems to go for a few laps flat out. There's LOTS of paint swapping and door handle/mirrors/bumpers getting torn off. I love it when I see it, it's certainly a driver's race rather than Nascar which is all about trying to get the best draft and biggest HP out of a restrictor engine.
If anyone knows what it's called pls let us know.

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
Guys,
When Speed was purchased by Fox in July 2001, a part of the deal was a contract to run nearly 60 hours of NASCAR programming each week. Many of the non-NASCAR programming was dropped to meet this requirement.

Actually, Speed is finally making an effort to bring back more original programming, which is nice. New My Classic Car and American Muscle Car episodes started. I watched F1 last night and WRC Rally has started again.

They show repeats of Victory By Design -- I wish they'd film more, but in the mean time, I'm happy to watch the repeats.

I also am not much of a NASCAR fan. Circle tracks do nothing for me, first of all. And I try to watch Sears Point and other road courses, but the cars do nothing for me. I like watching cars that are more like "stock cars." I'd rather watch a 911, Corvette -- or vintage street cars, than NASCAR silhouette racers.

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
Everyone has their own favorite types of racing. NASCAR is surprisingly popular. Marketing certainly has a lot to do with racing and NASCAR does a great job. Personally I like WRC and any vintage car races. WRC just seems very real with "real" cars on real roads under real conditions.

I do wish TV coverage of all types of races would get a little more involved in the cars and not so much the drivers and show ALL the cars not just the first few.

Bruce