• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Where do You get your Parts?

kindofblue

Jedi Warrior
Moss Motors
Victoria British
The Roadster Factory
Other?

For my first selection of parts, I went with the Roadster Factory. Moss wasn't showing the negative battery cable I needed for the 250 in stock. So far, I am impressed. The catalog they sent is beautiful, they have tons of things I never even imagined possible. The prices are reasonable. Has anyone had problems with the Roadster Factory. Is anyone a member of the "Club" where you pay $100 and get coupons every month? <font color="blue"> </font> /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Mark_Gibson

Jedi Trainee
The Roadster Factory is an excellent source of parts (my 1st choice), the biggest problem with them is non availability of parts you'd think they would stock. I need 3 things to finish my 1970 TR-6 frame off project, an Everflex black top with reflective stripe, a tonneau, and a sunvisor kit. All 3 have been on back order for 6 weeks with no delivery date in sight. I have been a TRF club member for a year now and it's a good deal as long as they have what you need. My receipts on my resto with TRF are over 7K, they'd be more like 12K if they had a good inventory of parts. They lose alot of orders to Moss and VB due to this.

Mark

Trevor Triumph

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I have success with both Roadster Factory and Victoria British. My son has has good luck with Moss as well. I've noticed that at VB the person may not know cars as well as the computer monitor, meaning that they may not be Brit car entusiasts. The Roadster Factory guys know seem to know the cars. Trouble is, they know about restoration and originaltiy but don't always know how to mix and match (connecting an early transmission to a late engine, for example). I have returned parts as long as a year old with no hassle from the RF. Good places all. T.T.

ObiRichKanobi

Jedi Knight
Country flag
As a wedgehead, I try Wedgeparts first. Brad has always been helpful, prices are competitive, and he only charges actual shipping. My second choice is TRF, but they seem to backorder on me frequently.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
I restoring a TR3 and have bought parts from TRF and Moss. I've had to get all the body panels I need from Moss, as TRF has had NONE of them in stock. TRF has good quality parts, but they do back order a lot. I have yet to order anything from Moss that they didn't have for my project. Being in NY, I get the stuff in two days if it's in their NJ warehouse.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I use all 3 + BPNW + NAPA + the ever-exciting eBay. Big advantage of eBay is access to original manufacturer parts and the opportunity for real bargains for the sniper/bottom-feeder. Space does not permit detailing the disadvantages of eBay.

I have a local Moss distributor whom I am motivated to keep in business so I get Moss parts thru him whenever possible. Incredibly convenient to be able to get most items off the shelf - no waiting, no shipping.

svtmikey

Jedi Trainee
Silver
Country flag
I find Victoria British a bit more expensive at times, but when I order a part, they have it, they ship it, I get get it when I need it! For that I am willing to pay a bit more.
I have had parts on back order from the Roadster Factory since before christmas...
I'm sure this is not always the case, but I did want to relate my experience.

Mikey

bigbadbluetr6

Jedi Trainee
i usually use vic british b/c its only a 15 minute drive from my front door and yes its a painful drive let me tell you....j/k sometimes order from roadster factory. just depends on what i'm looking for and who has it

Hayfever

Jedi Trainee
I order from Doug Braden, https://www.triumphparts.com. He's a dealer for the big 3 (TRF, Moss, VB) as well as some of the British companies (eg Rimmer Bros) and many smaller manufacturers. He has always been able to give me better pricing than ordering directly from TRF/Moss/VB and if there are problems he takes care of me then takes it up with them. IE we purchased a SU conversion kit directly from Moss which had a cracked bowl cover that took 6 months to get corrected through Moss (my father purchased directly from Moss). Meanwhile Doug had the cover we needed on his shelf and we could have had it immediately had we known. The only downside is that he doesn't take credit cards.

jayhawk

Jedi Warrior
I like supporting Moss and use them but like bigbad, I'm about 20 minutes from Victoria British and can pick up parts. As to the knowledge, it seems like it depends who is on the desk at VB, less so at Moss or TRF.

Yellowdog

I would have sworn that I posted into this thread earlier but when you get to be my age you swear at a lot of things.

I had dealt with TRF exclusively until just recently. I feel that Mr. Runyan's interest in these cars and their willingness to re-source parts that are no longer available is worth supporting even if it costs a few bucks more. As for back-orders, anyone remember the 18 month wait for green cooling system hoses about 10 years ago? Okay, I ordered them when first offered knowing full well that production had not yet started, heck, they hadn't even approved the material samples when the hoses were first offered. I just got an outer sill that I ordered last September earlier this week. To be fair, periodic checks with other suppliers revealed that they did not have them in stock either. Other than these two items, delivery has averaged about a 7 - 10 days. I had a few rubber parts sitting on the shelf for many years, went to use them and found that they had deteriorated badly. Emailed TRF, then talked to John on the phone and they replaced the parts, no questions asked. A few parts have been damaged in shipping, all were replaced, no need to return the originals and again, no questions. Overall, I have been very happy with their service and technical assistance.

I recently tried another outlet in the Detroit area, the Little British Car CO. (I will admit to having a bit of the tightwad in me!) They are a Moss outlet and sell at a substantial discount compared to the Moss catalog. Eight days, including ground ship, for a Falcon SS exhaust, and a bunch of misc items. Good service, very nice folks and competitive pricing. Inqueries that I have made to them has been answered very quickly. I only mention these folks because no one else has and my experiences with them have been very good.

Have never dealt with VB or directly with Moss. And since the buying spree that I was on this winter is just about over, I do not see it in the future.

Ahh yes, the buying spree . . . . it's been fun ordering, receiving and opening the boxes, sorta like Christmas a couple of times a week all winter. BUT, it is now time to start re-assembling the '75 and get the wife's car back to her by July.

vettedog72

Jedi Knight
I recenly bought parts to freshen up a TR6 engine from
British Parts NW Inc. mostly because of price and friendly service. They have advertised in Hemmings Motor News for decades and I have found them reliable over the years. Also, BP will give helpful hents over the 800 line. I wanted pistons that he did not stock but looking over the ones he sent for $245 including rings and pins, the machine shop could not find anything wrong with them and the shop is awfully critical. I wanted the devees bearings or at least a brand (tri meatal) that I recognized and even though the old brands are no longer mfg, again the machine shop could find no fault with them. I think they would be a good sponsor of this site if they were approched. The founder raced a (I think) Spitfire in the late 70's.

SkinnedKnuckles

Jedi Trainee
I try TRF first, then if it's a back order go to Moss. I try and stay away from the last of the big 3.

For the smaller parts sellers, I've used Motorhead, and liked them. I called one guy, though, about a starter and he ragged me for tying up his 800 line - the jerk. I will never deal with that LBC guy again!

red_tr250

Country flag
A little hint about buying from Moss. There are many Moss authorized resellers out there on the web. https://www.brgparts.com for instance advertises 17% off final price of orders placed on the web(over $150). Just key in your Moss part numbers & voila...big savings. Pretty sure there are others that do the same thing so shop around!

Todd Bermudez
CD198L
CF25768UO

vettedog72

Jedi Knight
VitSport6:
When are you going back to the UK and how big is your suitcase??

Anything from aloy wish bones to pan cake air filters (for 7.75UK).

What is the exchange rate these days?
Thanks for my new parts inventory source!

Mark_Gibson

Jedi Trainee
Latest update on The Roadster Factory. Sent a TR-6 conv top back since I decided to change colors. They were nice enough to give me a credit on it since it had been in my basement for over 6 months (unwrapped). I ordered another top (black this time) and it is on backorder, has been for the past 6 weeks. I decided to ask them to just credit my MC for the amount, since I need to get on with getting the car finished and can find the top elsewhere in stock. But no, it's a CREDIT, so that cash will sit there now until I find something to buy that they actually have in stock!!! Now that the car is almost finished, I have very little left to buy (for now at least). I even thought about just getting the tonneau from them, but guess what? A run of the mill black tonneau for a TR-6....backordered! Just makes you shake your head sometimes! Guess it serves me right for not making up my mind about the top color sooner!!!!

Mark