• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Vaden Plas

MattP

Jedi Knight
I have been seeing what looks like a late '80's Vaden Plas up for sale here in Ft. Smith for a while. I haven't gotten many details on it yet, I was just wondering how it compares to "regular?" Jaguars both in construction and price. It has me curious.

Matt

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
The Vanden Plas was a little more luxurious than the regular XJ6, with different uphostery and fancier wood. It also had picnic tables set into the rear of the front seats. The trim level was a little higher, and depending on the series, it could have had the "fluted" grille and boot plinth. Mechanically it was the same as the regular XJ6. They cost rather more when new, but prices now should be about the same, maybe a little more for cars in similar condition, but not more than a couple of hundred I should think.

[ 08-18-2002: Message edited by: Steve ]</p>

StevenA

Jedi Trainee
Like the other response said...they are the same mechanically; The difference isin the "add-ons". Such as burled wood trim, tray tables in the back, reading lights in the back, hood ornaments are sometimes different, nicer wheels, etc.
We are stopped or asked about ours every time we drive it. It is a head turner. We recently went on Vacation in it and were stopped by people in Santa Fe, Lubbock, Clovis, and Pecos who just wanted to see it or just say "very nice car". I was stopped by a local police officer in Texico ( border of Texas and New Mexico) who "thought our rear brake light wasn't working"...yet as we stopped he said he realized that in fact it was and he was sorry for the trouble... and "Oh, by the way that is the nicest Jag I have ever seen". Good luck with the Vanden Plas. StevenA

XJRpilot

Jedi Hopeful
the picnic tables on the rear seats were not offered until 1994. van den plas goes like this:
series 3 built up till 1987(xk engine)
the new engine(aj6) from 1988 on, till 1996.
1996 on, it had the aj8 engine.
with the exception of the engines the vdp is a little more classier than the plain xj6 or aj6.
it boils down to trim, and a few bells and whistles. van den plas has wool rugs
the xj or aj doesnt. higher quality burlwood. rear reading lamps. the fluted grill did not appear until 1995. simply,
add a few more things and charge 8-10 thousand more. they will come and buy. i have a sovereign,
which is the european van den plas. otherwise known as a daimler. i like the extras. its a vanity thing.