• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR5/TR250 Lowering TR4A/250/6 in the front

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
My TR250 sits a little higher than I would like in the front (also a little higher than it sits in the back).

I have kicked around various ideas for lowering the car, and the path of least resistance, and least $$, seems to be to lower the spring pans, I did this on my Austin Healey and it worked fine.

I only want to space the pan down about 1/2" inch, I guestimate this will lower the front end 3/4" to an 1".

Anybody done this? any reason why not?

D

DougF

I lowered mine by using shorter springs. I ran into negative camber issues which were finally solved last fall by throwing more money at it.
Can't tell by the photo how high your car sits. If you have stock springs and lower the car, you could also run into clearance issues.

JerryVV

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
That's certainly a way to lower the front. Another way that some have done is to just turn the a-arms upside down, which in effect does the same thing as lowering the spring pan.

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Just don't turn the A-arms upside down and use a lower springs - been there. Had to add spacers.

Richard Good at Goodparts has very nice springs that you might want to consider.

D

DougF

I am using Goodparts springs. They are firm, but the ride is good...if you don't mind a firm ride. Add sway bars, and the handling is totally transformed. Add some potholes or rough roads into the equation and you need that handling.

OP
glemon

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
It actually rides pretty high at both ends, I have done it, less mutiplier effect than I thought, I only lowered it about half an inch, but thats ok for now.

I wanted to lower it without going to a firmer spring, couldn't find a lowered spring that wasn't also firmer, which probably makes sense so it doesn't bottom out.

JerryVV

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
tdskip said:
Just don't turn the A-arms upside down and use a lower springs - been there. Had to add spacers.

Richard Good at Goodparts has very nice springs that you might want to consider.

Doing both can get it too low, I think a friend did that too and had issues.

JerryVV

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I'd like to get my 4A a bit lower and the spacers or turning the A-Arms in the front is a good way to go using the original softer springs. There does not seem to be a way to use OE springs in the rear but get it lower. Any ideas how do do that?

OP
glemon

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I think you can lower it very slightly by monkeying with the mounting brackets for the trailing arms. There is a chart somewhere that shows all the possible combinations, but I can't remember if I have it in a book or online, quick check of my bookmarks nothing looked too promising.

swift6

Yoda
The bracket combinations won't lower it but will adjust camber, this is for the rear of the car though, not the front.

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
swift6 said:
The bracket combinations won't lower it but will adjust camber, this is for the rear of the car though, not the front.

+1

The rear adjustable brackets form Goodparts are nice to have, but you'll not pick up much height adjustment once you get the alignment right.