• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

It followed me home! I swear!

JodyFKerr

Jedi Knight
IMG_20120331_120639.jpg

I stumbled across this a while back while looking for my daughter's first car ('70 MGB). I offered the guy a fair price, which he wasn't terribly interested in accepting. Told him it was a standing offer.

Fast forward a month or so and I get a call accepting my original offer after having had, so I was told, a different offer of a higher value flake on him and never show. Borrowed a pair of decent TR8 rims/wheels to offset the lack of wheels at the rear of the vehicle. Dragged it home and dropped it off in the cleaning area.

Things I know before diving in: rear wheels were stolen at some point (likely for the brand new tires that were on them), battery and radio was stolen at the same time. There appears to be decent clutch/brake pressure (which I was surprised at), engine compartment looks tidy, interior is in great shape from being garaged. There is some damage to the dash and wiring from the radio theft.

Also, the fellow didn't have the trunk/glovebox key. Both are locked, so I'm going to have to figure out how to get them open.

Dale

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Looks Like a pretty good score, Jody. What is it? 7 or 8? Rear wheels say 8.

John_Mc

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I don't know what you paid for it, but it was worth it! Looks like a great starting point. Post some post wash/wax pics when you get a chance. I'm assuming this is a 7 and not an 8, correct?

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
When things followed us home,...my dad would take it out behind the woodshed and shoot it.

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Your Wife must have been very worried Don....

Cheers,
Tush

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
:lol:
Well,... never thought of it that way.
Must have been a good day for her

OP
JodyFKerr

JodyFKerr

Jedi Knight
Dale,

It's a 7. It only had one wheel that fit properly, and one wheel that fit improperly. I borrowed the TR8 rims to throw on the back so that I could get it home.

Jody

OP
JodyFKerr

JodyFKerr

Jedi Knight
tdskip said:
Body solid?

From what I could see, yes. It has been an AZ car for a long time. But, it was sitting on four flat tired in the garage I pulled it out of, so it was really hard to see underneath the car.

1980_TR8

Freshman Member
It might be a Spider. The seat covers aren't original, but it looks to have the grey carpet used in the Spider. I believe the Spider VINs for a fuel injected car would be in the TPZDJ8AA400xxx-401xxx range. On the door plate it should have a paint code of PCF (Black Marashino) and a trim code of RAF.

If it is a Spider and you want to bring it back to spec, on occasion Spider wheels (TR8 wheels painted silver with an 'S' stamped after the part number) and the red reflective Spider decals/striping come up on eBay or CL. Unfortunately, the original upholstery itself is next to impossible to get. It didn't hold up very well and no one makes reproductions.

Brent

justin_mercier

Jedi Warrior
I just sold a set of TR7 spyder wheels along with my TR7 last fall. The wheels were not in use, as I had a new set of TR8 alloys on the TR7 at the time, but if you are looking for TR7 wheels I can put you in contact with a fellow who has original ones with the S part number.

OP
JodyFKerr

JodyFKerr

Jedi Knight
Oh, is it the only real difference between the TR8 rims and the Spider rims is teh "s" on the part number and a larger center hole to fit over the TR7 hub?

Darrell_Walker

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I don't think the hubs between the 7 and 8 are any different, are they?

I think the Spider wheels were painted a slightly different color (brighter silver rather than the 8 wheels that have a bit of a greenish tinge).

OP
JodyFKerr

JodyFKerr

Jedi Knight
Interesting. I had a lot of trouble fitting the TR8 wheel on the TR7. I'll have to try again.

IMG_20120406_174829.jpg

Some of the under dash wiring got damaged when the radio was stolen. Now I'm trying to clean up/identify this segment of the wiring harness. It appears that most of the RW and Black wires related to illumination lights. The purple I *think* is the cigarette lighter (at least one of them). No clue what the OB or BO wire goes to.

If anyone can provide corrections/comments I'd greatly appreciate it. I failed at finding a couple items in the wiring diagram.