• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Advice for a new BJ8 owner

SpacerM

After saving up for the last 5 years, I finally was able to take my first leap into classic cars and bought a largely original BJ8 from a private seller. The car has been well maintained (but not rebuilt) and all the mechanicals are in good working order (including the overdrive) per the mechanic who inspected the car for me. The car is 800 miles from my house (across flatlands) and I think it would be a great introduction to classic motoring to drive the car home, but I’m not mechanical and don’t want to get in over my head and be stuck in the middle of nowhere. As a general principle, is it a sound idea to plan an 800 mile nonstop trip or am I inviting a breakdown or two? I can pay for a covered carrier, but that is serious $ and not nearly as much fun. Appreciate you experts letting me know if I’m courting disaster! Thanks, Chris.

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
I'd ask the mechanic who inspected the car that question. If he's knowledgeable about Healey's and he inspected it, did he give you a list of items that need attention?

If you choose to drive the car, being your mechanic gives you his/her ok, I'd address the following items. Others most likely will chime in with there thoughts about what's important. Don't think you have to hook up a trailer or fill the boot with every spare part that entails making a Healey run. A cell phone and credit card is what you really need. Another idea is to find Healey owners in your line of travel, just incase something does happen. I'd bet a fellow Healey owner would drive out to help you.

At the very least, I'd have the engine oil and transmission oil changed. Should be the same oil, Castrol GTX 20-50 is recommended. I'd have the car greased, making sure all grease nipples are in good shape that they all accept grease. Have the front wheel bearing greased too. I'd also have a tune up done. Check the brake pads and all the fluids. Make sure all the gauges work, check the oil pressure, water temperature. Again, you're mechanic should have checked all this, so run it my him/her.

Congrats on owning a Healey, and happy Healeying.
Roger

Country flag
Also have the mechanic inspect and adjust the fuel pump's points (assuming original SU is in the car). Have him put in new points--or at least file and clean the old ones--if there's any doubt. If the mechanic doesn't know how to do this find one who does. Or, order a new fuel pump--I recommend the SU solid state--and have the old one rebuilt for a spare. The fuel pump is by far the most likely thing to let you down; you can make it home if the O/D fails, for instance, albeit slower.

What kind of shape are the tires and wheels in? Have the mechanic inspect the splines on the hubs (wheel and axle). If they're seriously worn you'll at least need to drive very gingerly to avoid serious problems or, better yet, arrange to get them replaced before the trip (you'll have to do it right away anyway). If you replace the rear hubs have him pull the drums and inspect for oil leaks and brake shoe condition (not a bad idea to do this anyway, and not terribly difficult). Have him check the rear wheel bearings (if they're bad they won't turn smoothly).

What about the tires? If they're more than 10 years old--AT MOST--get new ones (again, you'll have to do this right away anyway).

Have the mechanic tighten all shock bolts (35 ft-lbs is good). Have him tighten all fuel line fittings (at the carbs and at the fuel pump). Check the U-joints.

If you do have him repack the front wheel bearings have him inspect the stub axles for cracks.

Change the coolant if it hasn't been done in few years. If a serious amount of crud comes out overheating--depending on ambient temperature--may be an issue.

Make sure all the gauges--fuel, oil pressure, coolant temp, speedo and tach (you can live without it)--work.

How old is the battery? If past its warranty age I'd replace it.

The Austin-Healey Club USA publishes a membership 'Resource Book' which includes names and contact info of Healey owners who are willing to help out fellow Healeyites. You might be able to get one: https://www.healey.org

I take a 3-4K mile road trip every year in my BJ8, and I've never been stranded although we have had some problems (see: fuel pump). Since I know my car's history and condition I don't do all these inspections every year, but they all get done at one time or another. Reputation aside, these can can be very reliable cars, else I wouldn't drive mine 100 miles from nowhere in the Nevada desert.

Country flag
All of the above, I second. Contact the local Healey club and /or the national club. Get thire book of Healey owners along your route. Many have parts to loan and the knowledge to help. Healey people are GOOD folks. Get extended range on your AAA. Get insuranse for classic cars. Hagerty insurance has an option for inexpensive towing (flat bed). If you are not familiar with AH seats, bring a towel to role behind your back. I think 800 miles is a lot for one day. Healeys are remarkably reliable, but.........

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Hey Chris,
If you can get most of things done like Roger and Bob recommended, might be worth the adventure of a 800 mile trip with a new to you BJ8. But, that's a lot of work and money to do by a mechanic that maybe you could do yourself once you have the Healey at your home. Personally I would consider having it shipped on an open trailer versus closed for a good deal less as no difference being out in the elements on a trailer versus you driving it 800 miles. With any Healey I have bought over the years once I get it running again and back in relatively good shape, I start off with my trips being close to home and then progressively increase how many miles away from home I drive until I am comfortable with it and the dependability on trips. As Bob said, once you have everything checked out and brought up to snuff, you'll feel comfortable going on a 800 mile trip. Of course, when you are in your 60s' like me, you're more limited by how long you can drive the Healey and remain able to stand up again then the mileage !!!
Welcome to the Healey world and you will love it,
Mike

Country flag
Mike, get one (and one for the co-pilot) of those cheap (5 to 10 dollars)webbed back rests that are used by computer guys. Won't leave home with out it. Five hundred mile trips and no back aches. They give lumber support and keep your back from sweating.They just slip on with elastic that goes around the back of the seat.

OP
S

SpacerM

Thanks to you all for the insights and suggestions. The mechanic did recommend a few items be addressed, but luckily most are easy and minor. Good to know that the fuel pumps are an item to watch. I will definitely connect with the Austin-Healey Club as having a list of local folks with Healey knowledge would help clam the wife down about the trip! Mike also makes a great point about an open transport not putting any more wear on the exterior than driving it- I hadn’t thought about that and if the cost of transport approaches the price of a one-way ticket, then I’ve got more to think about. Decisions decisions- thanks to all for jumping in, and I no doubt will be on the boards more frequently when I have my hew Healy to tinker with! Best, Chris.

Country flag
I figure about 3-4 hours shop time for all the items mentioned (most of the 'inspect this' and 'tighten that' stuff takes a couple minutes once the car is on the lift and/or the wheels are off). That's $200-400 at typical shop rates--worth it, IMO, and if no show-stoppers are found 800 miles shouldn't be a problem (though I'd give it 2-3 days). If anything serious is found then then best to have it shipped.

I got the impression the original poster wasn't inclined to do the work himself, so he'd be paying a mechanic one way or another. Why not pay the guy that did the inspection--he's already shown he's (probably) not out to gouge an unsuspecting new owner--and, maybe, his shop rates might be lower.

OP
S

SpacerM

Yep- figure I will do the work eventually, but 800 miles from home in a strangers garage won't be where I start. Some shop time before I start the road trip seems to be option #1, or option #2 will be an open carrier ship and adress with my mechanic at home, learning as I go. Thanks for helping me narrow and better understand the options.

OP
S

SpacerM

Well, I started looking into shippers, and it seems they are worse than the moving industry, if that is possible. Does anyone know if there is a "go to" shipper for the classic car set or a quality name? Seems that finding a good shipper may take longer than doing the driving myself.

pkmh

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
For whatever it's worth, when I bought my Healey, it was about 125 miles from me. I had it delivered in a single, enclosed trailer. Cost me a grand but I had to be glad for it was in no way "road worthy" as the seller claimed. I would of broke down or worse yet, had an accident for the brakes failed and then the clutch. Then soon enough, I luckily learned that there was no oil to speak of in the engine. You just don't know the condition of your car until YOU inspect it thoroughly.

I think it is wise to have it trailered to your home and I prefer to have it enclosed to avoid vandalism or whatever else could happen by leaving it exposed on a flatbed.

To do what I did (enclosed trailer) is expensive. You may want to consider sharing the trip with other cars. Probably will take longer but you should save considerably. Also sounds like you car is in better shape than mine was so if the driver has to pull the car out to allow another in (or out) of the trailer, then he does not have to worry much about it braking down enroute to you. But somehow, be sure by asking (or trusting) your mechanic's expertise.

Shop around. There are quite a few shippers with varying prices. Again, I think it is wise to have it trailered home and then enclosed, if possible, before attempting to drive it, especially 800 miles! (I've had mine for over a year and a half and only now feel it is ready to take it on the highway so go figure!).

Good luck and have fun!

Paul

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
:savewave:

I am going to play chicken on this one and tell you to go to one of the best classic car shippers I know "Fed EX" they bought one of the best around Inter City Lines. I have Used them for years.Remember you will have ~$200.0 in gasoline alone Chicken Keoke----- :laugh:

British_Recovery

Jedi Warrior
Bronze
Country flag
Hi, I bought a 100 in Michigan and it wasn't roadworthy. I opted to drive from NJ in my pick-up and rent a U-Haul trailer in Michigan near the car. It was less than $400. for the trailer, which I was able to return locally. With all the gas, tolls, and two night accommodations it added up to about $1,000. Money well spent since any damage I could blame on myself. It does depend on who you speak to at U-Haul, since information on vehicles is not always in their computer, and it takes someone who is interested in your situation to properly fill in the blanks. Good luck, Bob

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Like Keoke said, Intercity is great and have used them twice. But their closed trailer price can be on the expensive side. Plus makes a big difference where your pick up point is as to how many potential drivers will want to pick up there as well as the drop off location.

I have used a broker called "Worry Free Transport" several times and had good luck with them, both open and closed and their pricing was always good. Believe they are out of Springfield,Mo and owner is Diane. Think website is: www.worryfreetransport.com.
Good luck,
Mike

Country flag
I'll go up to 200 miles to pick up a car but after that I get a transporter to do it. I had a MG TF delivered to me right before Christmas from Las Vegas (1800 miles) for a $1000. I couldn't have gone and got it for that. It was open carrier but no problems.

Marv

57_BN4

Chris- which are you more likely to remember in 20 years time, filling in forms to get your car brought home on a truck or driving 800 miles across the country with the top down and feeling like a million dollars. Life has too many certainties, fortunately old cars aren't one of them and that is a big part of the enjoyment.

Andy.

Healey_Z

Jedi Warrior
Pay the mechanic to take it out for an hour drive on the freeway. If he is happy with it, the chances of it driving 12 hours without an issue are reasonably good.

I agree with buying it as part of the experience. I still remember flying down to pickup my cobra replica and driving it 10 hours in Jan, back home.

rjc157

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Maybe you have a death wish 800 miles in a healey is just too far especially a car that probably diddn't do 800 miles in yrs .If you break down even once your over the cost of delivery good luck

nevets

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I would opt for transporting the car. Too many unknowns regarding the roadworthyness of the car. Once you get it home, you will have time to sort all the safety / mechanical details and confidently enjoy that long drive with the top down. OR you can throw caution to the wind, and perhaps have a grand adventure. Do you feel lucky?