• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Radio/ipod hookup

rusty55

Jedi Hopeful
I know I'll likely be scolded for this but here it goes...
I'm connecting an iPod to the TR3. There wont be a head unit. Just an amp with an iPod plug in. The only part that will be visible will be a 4 gauge wire running from the battery, thru the firewall, to the amp. So about 12" of wire will be seen in the engine area.
He's my question....

<span style="color: #FF0000">Can I run the power from the starter solenoid where the positive battery cable attaches or do I need to go straight to the battery? </span>

Thanks

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Yeah, you could get power from the solenoid like that, but personally I would want to connect on the other side of the ammeter. You are evidently using a high power amplifier, and with it connected on the battery side of the ammeter, any current supplied from the generator to run the amplifier is going to read as charge on the ammeter. You could actually be running the battery down, with the ammeter reading charge!

4 AWG is really huge ... how big is this power amp? 4 AWG is good for over 100 amps ... have you given thought to where that power is going to come from? The stock generator only puts out 19 amps.

OP
R

rusty55

Jedi Hopeful
Yea, 4 gauge may be overkill.

It's finished and works great. I ended up putting a 5oow amp up behind the glove box. I grounded it to a bolt for the hood. I ran a 4 gauge wire from the amp to the battery with an inline 60 amp fuse. The amp is powered only when the ignition is on and the iPod connection cable, which also charges the iPod, hides under the dash unless it's plugged into the iPod.

There is a separate volume control on the dash where i removed the windshield washer switch that will never be used anyway.
So the only evidence of the install is about 10" of wire under the hood. looks clean and sounds great.

Hopefully I'm not draining the battery but we'll see.
thanks

OP
R

rusty55

Jedi Hopeful
Ipod

Attachments

• 28082.jpg
    28082.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 281
OP
R

rusty55

Jedi Hopeful
front speakers ( i still need to zip tie the speaker wires up a little)

Attachments

• 28083.jpg
    28083.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 277
OP
R

rusty55

Jedi Hopeful
Power from battery to amp

Attachments

• 28085.jpg
    28085.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 275
OP
R

rusty55

Jedi Hopeful
and finally, the volume control

Attachments

• 28086.jpg
    28086.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 275

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
rusty55 said:
Hopefully I'm not draining the battery but we'll see.
500 watts output times 90% efficiency (which assumes a class D amplifier, class B will be much worse) means it will be drawing close to 50 amps at 12v. Likely you won't use that much though, probably more like 10 amps. So you should get by, as long as the headlights aren't on (and you don't have anything else, like an electric radiator fan).

OP
R

rusty55

Jedi Hopeful
WAIT!!!!!
Are you suggesting I wont be able to use my headlights if I'm playing music???

PeterK

Yoda
Depends on the amp and alternator. Stock generator is 28amps. Alternator conversion provides 50+amps depending on model you install.

I have an alternator, head unit with power amp and use an IPOD in my 3A. I'm using JBL component 6.5" separate tweeters both mounted in the rear shelf area. I think the amp is around 40 RMS. And the nature of the car, exhaust, wind, etc. it's nearly impossible to hear words; more like background music. So, just sayin' (as they say), once one the road, not only will you not hear your tunes but driving a TR, you'll want to listen to your car.

justin_mercier

Jedi Warrior
With my TR6 I've got a 55 amp alternator, up from the stock 35 amp, but I'm planning on upgrading to a 95amp alternator when I install seat heaters and a sound system. I'm not sure what the options are for a TR3, but I'd certainly do something to get at least in the 50 to 55 range for output.

OP
R

rusty55

Jedi Hopeful
justin_mercier said:
With my TR6 I've got a 55 amp alternator, up from the stock 35 amp, but I'm planning on upgrading to a 95amp alternator when I install seat heaters and a sound system. I'm not sure what the options are for a TR3, but I'd certainly do something to get at least in the 50 to 55 range for output.

ok.... so I'll search the site, but what are my options an whats involved?

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
PeterK said:
Stock generator is 28amps.

Stock generator on what car? A stock TR3 generator is only 19 amps (though many have upgraded to the later 21 amp version).

You can get 28 amps from a TR3 generator, but not for long. BTDT

PS, I don't know anything about the kit from Triumph Rescue; but I would suggest asking for an advance copy of the installation instructions. I don't believe the pictured alternator will fit a TR3 gracefully, without cutting either the alternator case or permanent parts of the car (eg the bracket for RH steering). If you have to modify the case (or Triumph Rescue has already done it for you), then you will have to go back to them any time it needs service.

Also ask about how hard it is to change the belt, as the larger alternator housing keeps it from moving very far closer to the engine (to loosen the belt).

OP
R

rusty55

Jedi Hopeful
OK so i took the car to an audio place to check the install. He said it was OK.
I took it to my mechanic and he is telling me the generator is only part of the charging system and that the generator and battery together will have no problem running this system with a fan and lights. The car is not running off the generator...

So now I'm confused. How can there be two entirely different opinions on this???
I drove it, turned on everything and it all works as it should. Is it only a matter of time until it just quits?

And why is the mechanic, who works on these daily telling me it's not an issue?

I just wanta be sure the wife isn't stranded somewhere :smile:

Thanks

Darrell_Walker

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
My guess, the audio guy isn't aware of the limited amperage generated by the stock generator, and the mechanic may not understand the potential requirements of the amp.

Sure, the battery plus the generator may run everything for a while, but if you are consistently using more current than the generator can provide, you will eventually drain the battery.

On my TR4A, with the stock generator in good condition, running with lights and demister would slowly drain the battery. It perhaps wasn't that those two accessories used more current than the generator provided, but I think there wasn't enough excess to replace the energy used by the starter.