Thread: No juice to cooling fan

Discussions of Jaguar Automobiles of all styles

Jedi Hopeful
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No juice to cooling fan

The radiator fan stopped working to my 66 series 1 e type. I've no power to the green wire coming out of the bundle thats supposed to come off the fan relay. My problem is I can't see where the fan relay is located. The fuse is good at the fuse box, and all connections are new and clean. The wireing diagram shows a fan relay, but I don't remember it from when I put in the new wireing harness about 1000 mi ago. It had been working fine up till a few days ago. Anyone Know where the fan relay is supposed to be located? [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Re: No juice to cooling fan

I had a similar problem about a year ago, albeit in my MG. The sender/switch was faulty, replacing that cured the problem. Just a suggestion, may be worth a try.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As Steve says, check the sending unit. It screws into the radiator and detects water temp (the inner part of the unit is immersed in coolant)....typically, the sending unit will have two wires connecting to it. Disconnect wires and "jump" them together, with the ignition turned "on" (be careful that you're away from the fan.....it should turn on when you do this). If fan spins with these wires jumped, it's the sending unit. If not, fan relay is probably bad (sorry, don't know where that is on a Jag).

BTW, if the coolant is low (and the unit is not immersed) you can sometimes get a false reading, preventing the fan from switchin on.

Jedi Hopeful
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the feedback. Turns out the series 1 e types did'nt have a relay, even though the wiring diagram shows one.And turns out I had two problems, a broken,not blown fuse ,and as was pointed out ,a bad otter switch. This is the second replacement switch I've installed this year. At $50 + each I'm going to bypass it and have the fan come on when I turn on the ignition.
    The engine warms up so fast here in SoCal that it's not worth overheating because of a batch of bad switches. Next project, rebuilding the S.U.s. Wish me luck [img]graemlins/hammer.gif[/img]

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    109 Posts

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by 66 fhc:
    Thanks for the feedback. Turns out the series 1 e types did'nt have a relay, even though the wiring diagram shows one.And turns out I had two problems, a broken,not blown fuse ,and as was pointed out ,a bad otter switch. This is the second replacement switch I've installed this year. At $50 + each I'm going to bypass it and have the fan come on when I turn on the ignition.
    The engine warms up so fast here in SoCal that it's not worth overheating because of a batch of bad switches. Next project, rebuilding the S.U.s. Wish me luck [img]graemlins/hammer.gif[/img]
    <hr></blockquote>

On my Series one, I have a manual switch up under the dash. That way, I can keep the fan on for a while after I switch off the motor (but you have to remember to switch it off).

Basil