• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

No juice to cooling fan

66 fhc

Jedi Hopeful
The radiator fan stopped working to my 66 series 1 e type. I've no power to the green wire coming out of the bundle thats supposed to come off the fan relay. My problem is I can't see where the fan relay is located. The fuse is good at the fuse box, and all connections are new and clean. The wireing diagram shows a fan relay, but I don't remember it from when I put in the new wireing harness about 1000 mi ago. It had been working fine up till a few days ago. Anyone Know where the fan relay is supposed to be located?
confused.gif

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
As Steve says, check the sending unit. It screws into the radiator and detects water temp (the inner part of the unit is immersed in coolant)....typically, the sending unit will have two wires connecting to it. Disconnect wires and "jump" them together, with the ignition turned "on" (be careful that you're away from the fan.....it should turn on when you do this). If fan spins with these wires jumped, it's the sending unit. If not, fan relay is probably bad (sorry, don't know where that is on a Jag).

BTW, if the coolant is low (and the unit is not immersed) you can sometimes get a false reading, preventing the fan from switchin on.

OP

66 fhc

Jedi Hopeful
Thanks for the feedback. Turns out the series 1 e types did'nt have a relay, even though the wiring diagram shows one.And turns out I had two problems, a broken,not blown fuse ,and as was pointed out ,a bad otter switch. This is the second replacement switch I've installed this year. At $50 + each I'm going to bypass it and have the fan come on when I turn on the ignition.
The engine warms up so fast here in SoCal that it's not worth overheating because of a batch of bad switches. Next project, rebuilding the S.U.s. Wish me luck
hammer.gif

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by 66 fhc:
Thanks for the feedback. Turns out the series 1 e types did'nt have a relay, even though the wiring diagram shows one.And turns out I had two problems, a broken,not blown fuse ,and as was pointed out ,a bad otter switch. This is the second replacement switch I've installed this year. At $50 + each I'm going to bypass it and have the fan come on when I turn on the ignition.
The engine warms up so fast here in SoCal that it's not worth overheating because of a batch of bad switches. Next project, rebuilding the S.U.s. Wish me luck
hammer.gif
<hr></blockquote>

On my Series one, I have a manual switch up under the dash. That way, I can keep the fan on for a while after I switch off the motor (but you have to remember to switch it off).

Basil