• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Better than cardboard?

Nelson

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
When I have work to do underneath my car I have been laying on a piece of corrugated cardboard. It keeps me from having direct contact with the concrete floor in my garage but it still isn't all that comfortable. If I had an old rug I would use it but I don't. I'm sure somebody has a better way of laying under the car. Is there something that I haven't thought of?

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Some 1/8" or 1/4" Masonite is a good choice. With the smooth side up, it's easy to slide around and the rough side down will keep it from sliding around on the floor.

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
I get sheets of 1/2" urethane foam from the Boeing scrap yard (old packing material) and cut it into 2' x 4' sections. It provides insulation and a little padding but I don't know where one would get some in the real world, maybe a shipping supply place?
BillM

AN5Sprite

Jedi Knight
I use cardboard too. I like it. It's Easy to wipe clean, keeps dirt off my tools and me, easy to slide around on...Seems to always be arriving and it can be easily disposed of. I've got my inside cardboard, my outside cardboard, my soon to be recycled cardboard, my fresh not yet used cardboard, Man I love me some cardboard! :jester: If I had to choose between fresh cardboard and dirty old rug, I'd go cardboard every time.

I suppose you could double of even triple thickness your cardboard for a more comfortable and luxurious garage floor experience... :smile:

MichiganTed

Nothing like some good cardboard. I painted my garage floor with epoxy paint and still use the cardboard. Generally referred to as a polish creeper in my neck of the woods (no disrespect) and like Steve, I've various grades depending on the task,

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
My wife gave me an old exercise mat made of 2 different densities of foam and it is perfect for your knees and back. Very easy to move around and easy to clean. I didn't think it would last a couple of weeks and it's been over 2 years now. I think she got it a walmart...
Rut

G

Billm said:
I get sheets of 1/2" urethane foam from the Boeing scrap yard (old packing material) and cut it into 2' x 4' sections. It provides insulation and a little padding but I don't know where one would get some in the real world, maybe a shipping supply place?
BillM

Probably cost just as much there as a sheet of pink foam board from HD. Cardboard is hard to beat.

RickB

Yoda
I use the closed cell foam camping mats, like what you would roll out a sleeping bag onto.
Or whatever is handy. Have used packing material foam, 2x4 by 2 feet long is great for the knees.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I have a creeper - though I rarely use it. Right now I am crawling under the Vauxhall to scrape underseal. The creeper wheels will get gummed up so I rolled the car onto a plastic tarp and then laid some sheets and then have a small 1500 watt heater and wear a sweat shirt - and I'm fairly well padded. That combination is not too bad.

BTW the creeper is (I think) HF and folds in half for storage.

rkep01

Jedi Trainee
JPSmit said:
I have a creeper - though I rarely use it.

:iagree: Hates it forever! :madder: In my younger years, I'd get down and get up from the thing many times a day. Now, my old bones won't take that kind of abuse. I can get on it OK, but getting off is another story. Takes two minutes at least to get off and back on my feet - not to mention the back pain. Have to think twice about using one these days. :frown:

G

rkep01 said:
JPSmit said:

:iagree: Hates it forever! :madder: In my younger years, I'd get down and get up from the thing many times a day. Now, my old bones won't take that kind of abuse. I can get on it OK, but getting off is another story. Takes two minutes at least to get off and back on my feet - not to mention the back pain. Have to think twice about using one these days. :frown:

Buy a lift. Yeah, expensive but so is surgery.

G

I hate mine cause it always runs over my shirt and ANYTHING, not matter how small, will find it's way under a wheel.

Country flag
You know, auto lifts are very affordable these days. :devilgrin:

...I'm spoiled.

RickB

Yoda
They have a location in Washington...

"gee hon, I know I said we could go to Maui for our 25th anniversary but..."

Apparently here in my state you can just log onto the state website and pay a fee and you are divorced - guess I don't want to go there.

G

RickB said:
They have a location in Washington...

"gee hon, I know I said we could go to Maui for our 25th anniversary but..."

Apparently here in my state you can just log onto the state website and pay a fee and you are divorced - guess I don't want to go there.

NOOOOO!!! Online divorse?!?!?!

What's next, tweet weddings?!?!?!

HAN8L1965

Jedi Warrior
I got a nice creeper from HF for around $28 it is large and rounded out and has nice rollers on it. I use to have an older style creeper and I agree it was a pain with my shirt, electric cord and whatever else getting tangled in it but this one seems a lot better. No creeper I use cardboard

Mark

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
kellysguy said:
rkep01 said:
JPSmit said:

Buy a lift. Yeah, expensive but so is surgery.

would it help me get off the creeper? :whistle:

bthompson

Jedi Warrior
I use one of those blue furniture blankets. I got it from Harbor Freight cheap. Folded up, it fits in the trunk. I can drape it over a stool to sit on, or over a fender to lean on. Doubled up as thick as you want, it's comfy as all get-out...I could wrap up in it and take a nap. Er...not that I ever have...;)