• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Elan owner seeks pity, support, and a hug!

64Elan

I love my Elan and it will always be number 1, but recently I've lusted outside of my oil stained garage floor. I've been smitten and have Triumph envy! A TR4 or TR4A to be exact, and although I've only lusted by staring at a calendar, or searching the classifieds on the internet this feels like real love to me. My favorite place is Google images, where I find myself going methodically from image to image.

Do I need intervention? Will my Elan understand? More important, will my wife understand? I need pity because my bank account can't afford it, I need support because I want it, and I need a hug because, well just because everyone needs a hug now and then.

Sleepless in Tahoe!

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Not only will the Elan understand, but will enjoy the help lubricating your garage floor!

Good luck with the hunt!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
mehheh. I'll have to be the cold-hearted snake here. My Elans have had to deal with not only the other English cars, but thirty-eight years of Alfas and now a Benz. I do think they were somewhat peeved when I sold the tin Lotus but they're over it now.

Wife? I have no reasonable input on the matter.

Bank account... wazzat?!?

Support? Yeah, just <span style="font-weight: bold">GO FOR IT!!!</span> You may find a TRactor to your liking (tho I have my doubts). :smirk:

:grouphug:

Lotuswins

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
64Elan,

I can sympathize, I've always wanted a TR4. I don't have room, and can't add another car (have 3 toys now), but who knows in the future. I'm in the middle of restoring a Healey and if I like that, I may never get a TR4. But if it doesn't live up to my expectations, I expect I'll sell it and get the TR.

Have you driven one? I fear it won't perform even close to the Elan? but then it is not strung near as tight so would be easier to drive around shopping and doing errands than the lotus.

I saw a nice TR4 for sale ($8k), at the last ABFM in Sept. in Portland. Boy was I tempted.

Good luck with your dilemma!

BTW, the Elan won't get mad, it will just get even......

Jerry Rude
BJ8 Healey
Lotus Europa TCS 'Gwenhwyvar'
Lotus Europa S1 future vintage racer

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I'll swap you my TR6 for awhile,& I'm sure that you'll
go back to the Lotus.
I drove an S1 Elan - nothing out there like it!

Jerry,

Can I look you up next time I'm in Roseburg?

- Doug

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Awright, Sleepless - what's the story?

Country flag
I have had a bunch of British cars but never a Lotus. There's been couple of chances to buy one but I do like my TRactors. A good 4 is hard to beat, so simple!

Marv

Lotuswins

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Doug,

That would be great! Give me a call when you know you'll be in town..

541 672 1320

jerry

OP
64Elan

64Elan

Well heres the story. My wife said I can buy a TR4 anytime I want as long as I finish the Elan. I guess it will be a while because the Elan is a ways from being done. Done doesn't mean driveable in her world. Done means, 95% finished and I'd put it at 70% right now. So if you'll excuse me I need to get out in the garage and up that percentage, because I know there is a TR4 with my name on it close by.

OP
64Elan

64Elan

Steve said:
Support and a hug you got, but pity? With an Elan in the garage and a TR4 in your future I'm afraid pity is waaaaaay behind envy right now. Go for it!

Okay Cheese Head,I mean Steve. I'll go for it when the time is right. I can call you Cheese Head because I'm originally from WI, and I'm still a die hard Packer fan. Seriously though, I do plan on getting a TR4, but I feel like another year of Elan parts gathering and work is required before jumping into another diversion. I learned years ago that one project at a time gives better results, unless of course you're Jay Leno.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
:lol:

...and I s'pose by now you and th' fellas over at Dave Bean's place are on a first name basis... :laugh: