• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

YAY!!!!!

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
OK - Probably a little thing for many of you, but I managed a major breakthrough on the GT conversion.

You may remember that I took over one of Tony Barnhill's projects, and am dropping in a V6, 5-speed, and air conditioning. Tony had already made several modifications in it, including the installation of a steel dash. He had a new wiring harness made up for it as well, though he was keeping the MG powertrain.

Well and good, but because I'm changing out gauges to complement the V6 installation, the harness isn't exactly correct. Add to that the changeover from late model hazard flasher/switch to European (the switch is different for European cars, and the radio console panel is the European example, with smaller rectangular mounting holes for the switches than the American counterparts), the changeover to a foot operated headlight dimmer with flash-to-pass on the turn signal lever, different windshield wiper switch and hookups (still waiting for the proper toggle switch for the wipers), etc., etc. And on top of that, my eyes glaze over and my brain freezes whenever I look at ONE wiring diagram, much more so having to look at several in order to combine....

So, today I got all the lights working, the turn signals are functional, and the hazard lights are flashing (though they aren't very bright yet - still have to sort that out).

So, in addition to that, the engine and tranny are in. Alternator and A/C compressor are mounted, and the serpentine belt is in place and adjusted. Still have to install the radiator (relocated), A/C condenser, and cooling fan, and then it'll be ready for the initial startup. Had to get all the wiring sorted before that, so that teeny light at the end of the tunnel is getting a bit brighter.

Stay tuned!

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Well done! Electrical's really not that bad, just make the lines in the car match the ones on the diagram. Simple.
grin.gif

Progress is always a nice thing. My MGB is still in the storage unit for the winter, so not a bit of progress to report here.

MGTF1250Dave

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Aloha Mickey,

Congratulations! Sometimes those little victories provide the spark of energy to make great leaps forward on your project.

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Thanks, guys. Dave: Exactly what I was thinking today!

And Drew - I know the basics about electricity. It's just that this car has so many changes, and the switches don't seem to match ANY of the schematics.

Anyway, baby steps are good! :thumbsup:

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Great work so far Mickey... I found when things get overwhelming, I just stop and look BACK to see how much I've accomplished, then forge ahead... You will get there!

elrey

Darth Vader
Country flag
Bravo! A daunting task on it's way behind you. You deserve a glass of fruit. [or two.]

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
elrey said:
Bravo! A daunting task on it's way behind you. You deserve a glass of fruit. [or two.]

Funny you should mention that... :smirk:

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
good news!

CZ_Dave

Jedi Warrior
Seeing the light at the end of the tunnel
is always a good thing!

I share in your victory, as I too have had a
breakthrough today! A customer of mine, at my reccommendation
bought a 1975 MGB that I found for her.

The 3 things that infulenced her to buy this car was:
1. Her 1978 would not smog out, and this one will never need to be smogged.
2. The price was right.
3. I told her I could fix it and deliver her a safe car.

The first thing that I had to do was undo all the previous owners repairs
as it was all via shade tree mechanic, bailing wire, duct tape, and a rainbow of wiring. Plus it ran like crap, but had 90#'s in each cylinder.

After much work, today I drove it to Lowes to pickup some things for it.
And I was able to call her and tell her she would take delivery next week.

So I congratulate you on your patience and persistance in your MGBGT Endever!

Country flag
Gliderman8 said:
I found when things get overwhelming, I just stop and look BACK to see how much I've accomplished, then forge ahead... You will get there!

Kind of like jumping off a cliff...you can look back and see how far you've gone from the edge and then forge ahead!!
grin.gif

Congrats on your progress Mickey!!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
WHEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!

:jester:

Country flag
Good Morning Mickey, Tony would be proud you are making progress! I like doing electrical work on the LBCs. Its nice to see thing work when you flip the switch. Bought a early Spitfire a few weeks back that had been stored since 88. Drug it home and put a battery in it to see what I had. Lights, signals, wipers and even horn worked. I was amazed. Don't get many that the horn will work without working on them first. Keep it up, we'll see you at a show soon.

Marv

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Thanks, Marv.

No promises, but I'm looking at MG 2012 in Dillard as a maybe.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Mickey,

Good news!Now when you get it all figured out,
you can fly out here & work on our GT!

- Doug

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
bob67bgt said:
Good to hear you are still making progress. I wanna ride!

Told ya, Bob - you're DRIVIN' it!

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
AngliaGT said:
Mickey,

Good news!Now when you get it all figured out,
you can fly out here & work on our GT!

- Doug

No can do - yours is stock! :jester:

You need to come to British V8 in Palestine, TX, Mickey!

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Yeah, it was in the plans, but I'm not sure I can make it now. Really wanted to, as Shreveport is my home town (sorta, anyway), and I know lots of you are traveling together and hooking up there. But this year is our 40th wedding anniversary, and we want to make a special trip, so I'm afraid any car shows will have to be short hops this year.

Add in some recent and upcoming pricey repairs to the house, yada, yada... :frown:

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Received the wiper switch today. Plugged it in, and...

HOUSTON, WE HAVE WIPERS!!!

Never ceases to amaze me how easily amused I am these days.

Gettin' closer...