• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Celebrity Healeys

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Sometimes stuff just shows up when you're surfing the web, I found out Clint Eastwood owned a Healey:

htfb5j.jpg

Cinematic icon Clint Eastwood, who recently celebrated his 80th birthday, went from Dirty Harry to a Best Director Oscar in the span of an enviable career.

He celebrates his directorial work through the lens of this colorful calling in a cool new book from Cahiers du cinéma entitled Eastwood on Eastwood, a collaboration with critic and filmmaker Michael Henry Wilson.

Interspersed with a series of interviews are over 300 images, ranging from film stills to set photographs, many from Eastwood’s own private photo albums.

From the days of his earliest successes the tough guy actor also began acquiring an impressive collection of sports cars, which, though not featured in the book, we’ve chosen to make the highlight of our own homage to the man of the hour.

Here Eastwood, age 26, sits astride his British-made Austin-Healey convertible in Los Angeles sporting the latest in beachwear.

He had just landed his biggest role to date in The First Traveling Saleslady, not, alas a smash hit but the start of something big nonetheless.

A lesson in summer roadster-ing style if ever we saw one….

OP
HealeyRick

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Thought it might be fun to gather a list of all the other celebrity Healeys. Add your finds here. A link to a source would be nice as well. Here's a few others I know of:

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000">Jay LENO</span></span>https://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/the-tonight-show-racer/190192?auto=true

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000">Harrison FORD</span>:</span>

seruk9.jpg

A former carpenter with a passion for craftsmanship, Harrison Ford has had the opportunity, over the years, to buy the toys of his dreams. In an open field on his Wyoming ranch sits his Bell 206 Jet Ranger Helicopter; from the garage he can choose one of six motorcycles—four BMWs, two Harley-Davidsons—to ride around Jackson Hole. His five airplanes include a state-of-the-art jet and a 1956 de Havilland Beaver, something of an aviation classic. So it was with some trepidation that screenwriter Melissa Mathison, Ford's wife of 17 years, presented her motor-mad, but very particular, husband with a 1966 Austin Healy 3000 for his 58th birthday on July 13.

She needn't have worried. "I went out for something and was going back to the house, and Melissa walked along with me," Ford recalls. "And it was sitting around in the driveway with a bow on it. I was delighted." A bottle of Dom PĂ©rignon from a pal provided the icing on the birthday cake. Says Ford: "It's great getting old."
https://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20131971,00.html

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000">Nicolas CAGE</span></span>: Washington, Jan 24 (ANI): American actor Nicolas Cage recalls a time when he had a very close call on a U.S. highway, after his car spun out of control.

The 44-year-old actor, whose car ended up facing traffic head on after the spin, insists that he is a thrill-seeker who normally doesn’t fear “heights, speed, water or any dangerous situation”, however he admits that the highway experience was so frightening he was left in a state of shock for days afterwards.

“I nearly killed myself in my favourite car. I had an Austin Healey with a Ford V8 engine placed into it like a makeshift AC Cobra. Then I hired a mechanic to put in an automatic gearbox, Contactmusic quoted him as saying.

“I was driving on the 405 (highway) in Hollywood, went to light a cigarette and my hand got stuck in the transmission. I shifted the car from drive into park and the car fish-tailed on the freeway. I went into a 180-degree spin and ended up facing traffic head on, he said.

“All I could see was this huge truck coming towards me; the driver got on the CB loudspeaker and screamed at me to put the car in reverse. I was in total shock and I just did it. I reversed all the way back until I found an exit. It was crazy. I could have died - so for a while I was in a very odd state of mind. It’s probably the most dangerous thing I’ve survived,” he added. (ANI)
https://www.thaindian.com/newsportal/ente...y_10014321.html

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000">Jackie COOPER</span></span>:

6yjk00.jpg

zybjgg.jpg

Why do we stop and recognize this former child star of the “Our Gang” comedies? Because Jackie Cooper, who died this week, evolved from being a child actor to a power as an actor and Emmy-winning executive in Hollywood, plus a decorated Naval Reserve officer. He was also a big-time car enthusiast, having come of age at the zenith of the early West Coast sports car scene. Cooper owned one of the first four Austin-Healey 100S race cars brought into the United States. Just 50 examples of the 100S were built in total; the below photo shows four leaving the factory, with Donald Healey second from right. Cooper pushed his for a mile following an electrical failure at Sebring in 1955 and still finished the race.

OP
HealeyRick

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000">Mel TORME:</span></span>

2n6g9r5.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000">Restauranteur Vincent SARDI</span></span>

23setmb.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000">Walter CRONKITE</span></span>:

sXZHnfI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

OP
HealeyRick

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000">Bruce REYNOLDS</span></span>

rji13p.jpg

THE STEAL of the century it isn't. But a sports car once owned by Great Train Robber Bruce Reynolds has caused a flurry of interest among classic car enthusiasts after being put up for auction at more than '24,000.

Reynolds bought the 1962 Austin Healey 3000 MK11 sports car shortly after he took part in one of the most audacious crimes in British history in 1963.

He and other members of a gang of small-time London crooks stole more than '2.5million - equivalent to '40 million today - by holding up the Glasgow-London Royal Mail travelling post office.

Reynolds, a London antique dealer and prominent thief, is said to have been one of the brains behind the robbery.

He grabbed his '150,000 share of the spoils and made his getaway.

For five years he evaded police in Mexico, Canada and France before being captured in England. Living penniless in Torquay he was arrested in 1968 and sentenced to 25 years in prison

OP
HealeyRick

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Yankee shortstop <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #CC0000">Phil RIZZUTO</span></span>

"One year Phil won an Austin-Healey sports car for being the most popular Yankee. It was real small and Phil drove it down to St.Pete. A couple of veterans grabbed it with their bare hands and wedged it sideways between two paln trees. Phil couldn't get it out." - Mickey Mantle

https://books.google.com/books?id=sdAVWwm...p;q&f=false

OP
HealeyRick

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Route 66 and Adam 12 actor <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000">Martin MILNER</span></span>

In an October 17, 1958, interview with Screen News, Milner reported that he still enjoyed book binding, golf, and attending ballet in his leisure, and could boast of such skills as tap dancing, juggling, and knife throwing. He also enjoyed playing Scrabble, completing crossword puzzles, buying new clothes (especially sports clothes), and driving his car, an Austin-Healey

https://martinmilner.hollywood.com/

OP
HealeyRick

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000">Paul McCARTNEY</span></span>

OK, you're on your own on this one. In 1969, the rumors that Paul McCartney died in a crash of his white 1966 Austin-Healey 3000 were rampant. It was played out on the Sgt Pepper's album cover: "To the far right of the cover there's a doll and on her lap is a white toy car. It is said that this is a model of an Austin Healey - the same car that McCartney was allegedly driving when he had the fatal car crash. The inside of the car is blood-red." https://homepages.tesco.net/harbfamily/opd/albumpeppers.html If he died, some poor s.o.b. is making big alimony payments. Any road, looks like Sir Paul owned a Healey,

OP
HealeyRick

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF6666">Steve McQueen</span></span>
Again, this is an unsubstantiated rumor. McQueen was the King Of Cool, and obviously the King of Cool must have driven a Healey. We know he was a factory Sprite driver at Sebring, but did he actually own one? I've seen references that he owned a '56 100. Supposedly it killed him:

Steve McQueen died on November 7, 1980 in Juarez, Mexico at the age of 50. After being diagnosed with inoperable Mesothelioma in 1979, he went to Mexico to receive an unconventional treatment to cure cancer. He died of a heart attack following surgery. It is unclear where he was exposed to the asbestos that causes Mesothelioma. There are several theories, the first one is he breathed in the asbestos when working on the drum brakes of his Austin-Healey and another was exposure when he was in the Marines. https://www.stevemcqueensite.com/aboutstevemcqueen.htm I dunno.

OP
HealeyRick

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
healey106 said:
Rick - Great photos!!!. Could you get John Sims to add a celebrity Healey photo page to his web-site?
jim :driving:

I'm having a lot of fun with this, but it's back to work tomorrow. It's pretty easy. Do a google search with someone you think was cool enough to own a Healey back in the day and add "Austin-Healey" after their name. Very interesting what you come up with. I'll shoot an email to John.

OP
HealeyRick

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000">Mark KNOPFLER</span></span>- Dire Straits

MK AT LEMANS: Over the weekend 8th - 9th July Mark took part in the Historic LeMans 24 Hour Race. He and his co-driver did really well.

24gspxf.jpg

Mark says, "My 1954 Austin Healey 100S raced originally by Donald Healey himself, ran perfectly and we came ninth out of a grid of 65 with some very fast machinery in it. My co-driver was Max Wakefield who went like a rocket. A top ten finish first time out for the car is an excellent result and I intend to go on developing the Healey and entering it in future events."

OP
HealeyRick

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000">Jean Paul BELMONDO</span></span>

OwKzY60" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

"A famous anecdote on the filming: every morning, Jean-Paul used to arrive at the wheel of his Austin Healey dressed in a cassock. A schism which makes Jean-Pierre Melville crazy!

Those who suspected his talent was only linked to Breathless are contradicted." https://www.periwork.com/peri_db/wr_db/20...%20Belmondo.htm

OP
HealeyRick

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000">Wally SCHIRRA</span></span>

HAMPTON — Walter M. Schirra Jr., one of the first Americans in space, was in trouble.

With fellow astronaut Scott Carpenter at his side, Schirra was cruising home to Denbigh from a training assignment at the Naval Air Station in Oceana. A storm was moving in and the roof of his Austin-Healey sports car was down.

Schirra, the elite test pilot, tried to make it to the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel before the rain came. ``We were drowned in that car,'' said Schirra, who came to Langley in 1959. ``The car shorted out.

``Two jet pilots were sitting there flamed out.''

https://articles.dailypress.com/1992-07-12/news/9207120139_1_betty-grissom-schirra-space-capsule

OP
HealeyRick

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000">Sir James Dyson</span></span> -vacuum cleaner guy:

We ask Sir James Dyson a set of devilishly probing questions – and only accept THE definitive answer

The treasured item you lost and wish you could have again…

My Austin Healey 100/4, which I had in 1968 when I was a student at the Royal College of Art. It was badly engineered and kept breaking down. Repairing it was my first foray into engineering.

Read more: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/articl...l#ixzz1hpOtsoxp

Cottontop

Jedi Warrior
HealeyRick said:
It is unclear where he was exposed to the asbestos that causes Mesothelioma. There are several theories, the first one is he breathed in the asbestos when working on the drum brakes of his Austin-Healey and another was exposure when he was in the Marines.

IF, while working on the brakes of old cars, one breaths or ingests enough asbostes to cause Meso', then I'm a goner.....

From - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_McQueen

"While McQueen felt that asbestos used in movie soundstage insulation and race-drivers' protective suits and helmets could have been involved, he believed his illness was a direct result of massive exposure while removing asbestos lagging from pipes aboard a troop ship during his time in the Marines."

Tim