• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

S-Type R? Not!

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Today I was reading the July issue of Popular Science and on about page 17 or 18 they had a little article about the 2003 Jaguar S-Type R. The only problem was, the picture they showed was NOT an S-Type it was an X-Type! Big difference between the two.

Basil

78Z

Darth Vader
Country flag
That is a fairly stupid mistake. For someone reporting on cars you'd think they would know the difference.

On the note of the S-Type R I saw one in person a while back and really didn't like the grill treatment. It just wreaks the lines of the car. I quite like the normal S-Type though.

Claymore

Freshman Member
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by 78Z:
That is a fairly stupid mistake. For someone reporting on cars you'd think they would know the difference.

On the note of the S-Type R I saw one in person a while back and really didn't like the grill treatment. It just wreaks the lines of the car. I quite like the normal S-Type though.
<hr></blockquote>

We have an ad of the S-Type R here in SA, seen from the front, in black, and it looks powerful and brutal, a bit like a massive panther. Rather intimidating...

sharky

Freshman Member
Yeps I caught that in the issue too. I've been following developments closely and I know what the car looks like (seen it live). I can't wait until they bring that 4.2 litre into the XKR and XJR next year...

JBsC5

Jedi Trainee
The new Jaguar S type R is a nice machine but I fear the competition is already moving upward.

The new MB E55 is rumored to put out 470hp and the new M5 V10 planned for next year hits 500hp..

I know it gets a bit ridiculous but the 387 Jaguars is putting out which is an amazing power output starts to look a bit jaded before the first years payments.

Cadillac is even rumored to put the new smaller reardrive STS out next year or so with a supercharged Northstar with 425hp...

Of course..a Jaguar is always a special car..no matter how much hp it puts out..

Just thought I'd mention its basic competitors the M5 V10 and the MB E55 have top speeds without electronic speed limiters of 202 mph..

This sure is a crazy time in the sports sedan category..

STYPERDRIVER

Freshman Member
I just got back from a 110 mile trip in my R. The car is better than anything else I have ever owned, including a 1994 E500. I am sure BMW and MB will push the envelope with the new M5 and E55AMG. They will be faster than the Jag I suppose, but will never match the cat for looks.
At $65k with Nav system, the Jag is a relative bargain.

JBsC5

Jedi Trainee
At some point..the powerlevels get ridiculous..I am amazed that the MB and BMW are moving to the 470 and 500hp levels..(202mph top speeds)

I would say the Type R you own is not only fast enough but beautiful in a way that only Jaguar can accomplish..

The S type really is one of the most impressive sports sedans on the market today... A true style leader..that exudes sensuality..

BMW is so scared..they tried to create style on the new seven series..and its bombing..I"m hearing rumors of 8 thousand dollar rebates of some sorts to the dealerships.

The reason all these ugly new shapes exist on the Banger BMW's is because the true threat that Jaguar poses now that it has the finacial backing of You know who...has them running harder...

Got to give them credit for trying and mechanically ..the M5 should be a winner ...hope it doesn't look like the seven..

Enjoy that Jaguar..stunning car!

William

Darth Vader
Funny-I don't much like the standard S-Type. But the R? Yes, please. Frankly, I could care less that BMW and Merc are bringing out ever more powerful sedans about the same size as the S-Type. Why? Most new BMWs and Mercs make me want to take a nap, even M and AMG versions. Dunno why, but they always have.
-Wm.
Oh, and on a picture screwup note, a local paper runs a syndicated automotive section, and did an article on the new Merc SL. The photo was a file photo from the last generation SL, from about five years ago, at that.

JBsC5

Jedi Trainee
I just read the S type will in the next couple of years get a revamp to alter the side panels and raise the trunk..

I think the S type is now the symbol of Jaguar..much more so than the X...

Although the new XJ all aluminum version thats on the show circuit is pretty sweet too..

Rumor is all Jags will follow the production path set forth by the newest and largest of all the Cats..

The R type might be bested by the M5 and E55 but they don't have the style and grace thats really part of the genre..(IMHO)

Dejoux

Freshman Member
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by stutzdriver:
As William Lyons said:
Pace, Grace...
<hr></blockquote>

As William Lyons quoted from MG whithout giving any reference

mad.gif

Not going into what other icons theyve stolen from MG, but I can think of at least 2 more