• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Roll Bar Question with pics

Miser

It looks like the previous owner didn't bolt down the roll bar it has just been welded. I'm not sure this thing will save me if I roll my car but it's better than nothing I guess. Do you guys think I should bolt it to the frame while I have all the carpet out or is the weld good enough?

RollBar001.jpg

RollBar002.jpg

RollBar003.jpg

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Looks to me like it's only welded to the body, which will tear easily if you actually need the bar. If you can bolt it to the frame, it would provide more protection in a rollover.

But I'm not convinced it would be enough more to worry about unless you also build a more elaborate roll cage.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
The ideal scenario is to put matching plates on the bottom of the underside. As ideal as it can get for this type of roll bar, that is.

Yes, I have one, so I can say that.

bgbassplyr

Darth Vader
Plate, bolted and welded................belt and suspenders don't you know.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Right....the hard part is the welding and it's done.

racingenglishcars

Darth Vader
Country flag
Those welds look like c**p.
I guess that's a TR6.
That car has a frame close under the back "seat" (bench) but not close enough to bolt to.
FIA racing rules are not eligible here but they normally require plates 120 cm² both over and under the body metal. But the mounting points for that bar are not anywhere near good enough to provide any type of roll over protection worth naming. The bar is basically for looks only.

If you're concerned about rollover protection, the minimum bar should be mounted to the floor/frame between the front seats and rear bench, have rear bracing that goes through the body to the chassis under the gas tank, and have a diagonal bracing.

This one would be good enough being a street bar with a diagonal
https://www.paeco.com/Rollbars%20and%20Cages.htm

Not that a minimum bar would be enough, but if you were unlucky enough that the car rolls over, like for example you accidentally fell off a mountain road, it would definitely save your head.

For other types of accidents it wouldn't be enough. But we don't usually drive that fast, do we?
example: https://autoholics.com/2011/11/07/Hemi--Cuda-Fatal-Accident-in-Delaware--580200

cheseroo

Jedi Trainee
Even if you built a NASCAR spec cage for your TR, it still wouldn't save you in the type of hit that Cuda took.

As to whether or not to strengthen your mounting points, it's certainly a doable task. From a pragmatic standpoint, do you ever drive in a manner that would require rollover protection? If the answer is "Yes" and protection is a worry of yours, then you probably want to pull out what's there and cage it. If the answer is "No" that you drive these cars with the same alacrity that most of us drive our TR's, I'd say you are good to go.

frankenstang57

Jedi Warrior
If you do bolt plates up underneath, be sure to make them bigger than the existing plates. Same size plates will act like a shear and rip through the sheet metal.

TR3TR6

Jedi Warrior
I don't think they were in that car when it ended up like that. I don't see any wet areas on there jeans!

racingenglishcars

Darth Vader
Country flag
As can be seen here, the chassis doesn't come completely to the rear bench. But like you said, plates raised and welded to the crossmember and the bar bolted to them might do the trick.

But please, welding only to heavy metal, not to sheet metal. the HAZ will be brittle and crack immediately under stress if it isn't broken already.

Triumph-TR250-rolling-chassis-before3.jpg