• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Decoking by accident

AltaKnight

Jedi Knight
Just thought I'd share with you my latest experience with my '73 TR6.
I was replacing the bushings on the throttle cross-shaft, thats the one the transfers the gas pedal movement to the throttle linkage, it's a tough job getting those plastic bushings into the holes, anyway I managed that piece.
So after taking a break for a cup of tea and to settle down from the exertions of trying to get the shaft through the bushings again I started the car forgetting that the final throttle hookup had not been connected.
It started up fine, at about 4000 RPM!(the linkage was jammed) scared the heck out of me so I turned the ign switch off and the engine wound down. Unfortunateley my brain was not working well and I turned the ign on again at about 1000 RPM /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif, that's akin to lighting the afterburner on an F14!, the resulting backfire through the exhaust rattled windows, started the neighborhood dogs barking and effectively decoked the whole exhaust system all over my driveway.
Unfortunately it also split the rusty silencer (muffler) seams so that had to get changed! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cryin.gif
Anyway it's fixed and fine now but doesn't sound quite as throaty, no blowthrough now.

Eric

Jedi Warrior
Great story! Maybe you can market this technique on eBay - reduces pollution! Increase mileage! Double your hp! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif