• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

DIY battery desulfator?

G

Seen some stuff around on the net but nothing I can understand how to build. Anyone know of easy to follow plans or can explain to me what needs to go where? I'm CERTAINLY not electrical guy.

WEll, at least not if you want to live to tell the tale...

..hold ma beer...

OP
D

Deleted member 8987

Usually the trick is to put it on a charger and leave it there until you almost can't touch it. Seems heat helps knock the stuff off the plates. I didn't know of any electronics that were suitable for the process, I don't think....

OP
G

Dad, search around. A few commercially made models. My uncle's friend was researching one a while back for production. Sunk about 200K in it.

Seems dumping the acid out and charging w/ just straight distilled water would break the sulfur crystals back into sulfuric acid.

OP
D

Deleted member 8987

Yeah, should, but I have yet to see one come back effectively from a sulfation problem, nor from dumping and refilling.

OP
G

LOts of folks on youtube saying they did with a pulse charge of ~30-40vdc run through a rectifier and a diode. Take a look around there as see. I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.

OP
D

Deleted member 8987

A rectumfrier IS a diode. A battery charger takes AC input, runs it through a diode to make DC. AC is a pulse...or wave.....nothing I've ever seen is satisfactory in the end. Alchemy 101.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Technically a rectifier is a diode "bridge". Straightens out AC into DC with four diodes.

rkep01

Jedi Trainee
:lol:

OP
D

Deleted member 8987

DrEntropy said:
Technically a rectifier is a diode "bridge". Straightens out AC into DC with four diodes.

Technically, a rectumfrier can also be half-wave, even. One of my old RAC battery chargers uses a half-wave (two diode) rectumfrier and not a full wave (4-diode). Why someone would use any kind of rectumfrier (half or full wave) and then ANOTHER diode is something I'd have to think about.....unless the last diode is a .7v drop.

OP
G

Exactly why I ask you guys. I thought a diode just was a check valve.

Last thing I want to fry is my....well....second-to-last. :eeek:

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
I think a rectumfrier is a condition you need to see a doc about... :jester:

OP
D

Deleted member 8987

One of those terms I picked up chasing 'trons on da boats in the middle of the North Atlantic 40 years ago.
We also (just to cornfuze the zeroes) called capacitor condensors (old term) and frequency megacycles vs megahertz.
You should see the look on folk's faces when I tell them their old radio needs a valve.

OP
G

TOC said:
their old radio needs a valve.

That aint the only thing that'll need a new valve if you're careless with a rectumfrier. :wink: