• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Oh nuts!

Rhodyspit75

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
It seems over the past few years we in the northeast have had an over abundance of acorns. This has led to happy squirrels. Which has led to a lot of squirrels.

Well this is one of those years with no acorns. This means a lot of unhappy hungry squirrels. Everyone who has put out a pumpkin has seen it attacked and eaten. There are even reports of lead flashing being eaten from around chimneys.

I wonder what they will find to eat on a stored British car?

G

Just this morning Kelly saw a squirrel in a tree with my on of my dog's bones. We had ribs last week. I gfive him one every day. I've been wondering where they have been going. Now I know why that dog in the commercial worried so much. i'd put mine in a vault too. I guess revenge is a beyotch. my basset has been chasing these furry bastages for eight years straight with no rest. He's too old to chase them all day. I guess it's payback time.

I guess if you don't let them go nuts, they may have a bone to pick.
grin.gif

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Rhodyspit75 said:
I wonder what they will find to eat on a stored British car?

Two years ago we parked SWMBO's VW Beetle at friends for 7 weeks while we were moving - little buggers ate the wiring! It was not cheap to get that sorted.

G

DART said:
Billy, Billy..."I guess if you don't let them go nuts, they may have a bone to pick" is soooo bad!

love it

yeah I know.

JP, sure it was squirrels? I know rats do it. Supposed to be when they smell another rat. One at the ONLY wire I had touched in the Explorer. I wonder if that means something...
grin.gif

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Parked my Miata for a while last year and this was the result (the photo below shows the inside the air filter housing with the cover and filter removed).

The RWA Midget I just bought had been sitting for quite some time....it was <span style="text-decoration: underline">filled</span> with acorns. Around here the black bear survive largely on acorns. If there's a shortage, they'll probably really start hitting the garbage cans more than normal.

DSC_0842.jpg

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
We had a travel trailer once and the little buggers were eating through the propane hoses. I replaced them twice to no avail. The third set I coated with Louisiana hot sauce. They never ate the hoses again. Did find out something else though in the process, the hot sauce ate the brass ends on the hose! Imagine what it does to your stomach? :devilgrin: PJ

G

Up here in NH,we have red and gray sqats. The red ones while being smaller in size,are real agressive and will gang up on the gray ones sometimes killing them.Street thugs of the squirrel world.They're all very destructive. The old 22 pellet rifle with a scope thins the herd quite well and also helps feed the ravens.Get hollow point pellets,as they pack a good wallop. Pretty tasty in the crock pot with montreal steak seasoning and BBQ sauce,but I digress.Get rid of them.

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
having Black Walnut trees in my back yard, we have our share of tree rats. One has decided my box of fiberglass drop-ceiling tiles in the rafters of my garage is a cozy home. Unfortunately he's going to find that living there causes lead poisoning.
Having worked on cars for a living, I've seen a wide variety of rodent infestation. most common in our area is a mouse nest in the heater fan. also Nial's air box full of nuts is a regular occurrence. as is the air box full of insulation, old rags, leaves, sound deadner from the firewall, or dog food.
Mice are good for chewing wires too. usually in some impossible to reach spot.

G

aeronca65t said:
If there's a shortage, they'll probably really start hitting the garbage cans more than normal.

Better that than go under your hood. :eeek:

Banjo said:
Nial's air box full of nuts is a regular occurrence. .

Better his airbox than his family tree. Last I looked, mine is full of squirrels and nuts. :crazyeyes: