• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

AH vs E Type

memphis

Jedi Hopeful
Hi All!

I am currently an 1965 Austin-Healey 3000 BJ8 Phase 2 owner and have been for 2 years. I have an opportunity to trade my fully restored 1965 AH 3000 for a 1970 E Type Series II with 45k miles and full documentation (original invoice, all records). Originally sold in Nashville, spent most years in CA and then FL. What do you think? Anything I need to look for? I am going to look at the E on Wednesday. It has already had the dual carbs replaced with the OE triple SU carbs and air clearner like the Euro delivery cars. Has been repainted in the original green. Car looks nice in the photos!

Thoughts, comments, suggestions?
Thanks,
Bob

Country flag
Bob,
is the E a roadster, coupe or 2+2? If 2+2 no trade, coupe or roadster maybe. You need to inspect the Jag closely to make sure its not a fixed up rust bucket. The S11 cars are not as valuable as S1 but are nicer driving cars. Final say will be yours. If your A/H is nice as you say, don't think I would trade for S11 car, S1 yes!

My 2 cents

marv

OP
memphis

memphis

Jedi Hopeful
Hi Marv,

Thanks for your reply.

The E is a roadster series II. No rust, but I will be inspecting the car on Wed. to confirm. Will report back...
Thanks,
Bob

Country flag
Series 2 roadster in nice shape, I'm guessing average market price is $35k. A well restored BJ8 A/H 3000 will bring more than that. I have a Gold 67 A/H and a 68 E roadster. I'd value either one at $50k plus.

Marv

OP
memphis

memphis

Jedi Hopeful
Hi Marv,

Thanks for your replies! As I review the 2 cars, it does seem that both the AH and E command prices from one extreme to another.

In your opinion, and/or based on what you have read, heard, etc. which one is more collectible? Better long term investment?

Thanks again,
Bob

Country flag
Todays market shows the S1 XKE to be slightly ahead of the A/H 3000. I'm afraid the A/H has peeked and starting to slow down. The S2 XKE (to me) is a little behind the A/H. Final value of either car comes down to condition of the car. Both are great cars to have.

Marv

HEALEYJAG

Jedi Warrior
I own a AH 100 Le Mans, series II OTS, Series III OTS.
'

My thoughts are what do you enjoy driving. Have owned many BJ8's in the past, the Jags are far more enjoyable to drive. Smoother more confort and luxuries. The Healey is easier maintenance and up keep.

I personally have never bought a car for an "investment". I would PAY for an inspection of the Jag before consumating the deal.

Pete

OP
memphis

memphis

Jedi Hopeful
Hello Pete,

Thanks, I agree, not buying to make any $, rather to enjoy!
But, it is always nice to think that we could at least get our initial investment back out (minus upkeep, maint exps, etc).

If I could own more that 1 classic, I would. Wife keeps me in check, so only 1 toy at a time.

I have loved this AH and it is a great car! Like you said, easy upkeep. The Jag is a smoother ride, and also a very nice looker!

Thanks again,
Bob

HEALEYJAG

Jedi Warrior
Bob:

Tell her the Jag is for her not you! Worked for me!! Do not think you will lose any money on either car. Bought my series II for $17000 in 2003.

Pete

Legal Bill

Jedi Knight
Country flag
What is the Jag owner asking for his Jag? I have the same year BJ-8 and follow their values very closely. A good number 2 car will bring $50 to $55K. IMHO, the series II would have to be in better condition than the BJ8 to warrant a straight up trade.

OP
memphis

memphis

Jedi Hopeful
Hi Guys,

The E is very nice. Car recently repainted and will get a new canvas top and a complete new leather interior. Dual carbs replaced with the Euro setup with triple SU's. Dark green ext and biscuit int. While it may be a close trade, I love the E and have had fun with my AH and got the AH fever out of my system.

I will be more active on this forum when I get the E, most likely in a couple of months.

Thanks all!
Bob

Healeysince59

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
My first sports car was a Healey and I put a lot of miles on it. As a result, the Healey fits me like an old shoe. A few years ago, I got a series 2 E-Type. It never felt right. The only problem I could identify was the accelerator pedal position. Being significantly closer than the brake and clutch, my right leg had a tendency to get uncomfortable.

My recommendation would be to try before you buy. You will probably love the E-Type. It's more civilized than the Healey and the XK engine is way ahead of the Healey lump.

We did 1000 miles this last weekend with 3 E-Types and had no trouble keeping up (and leading). To be fair, there were 2 classic Mini "S"s that had no trouble keeping up.

https://arizonaroadrunner.yolasite.com/2011-arizona-roadrunner.php

IMHO the E-Type was the last "Real" sports car. The Healey is a little more old-school "hair on the chest" sports car. The BJ7 - BJ8 with the sissy roll-up windows lost a little but are still on my OK list.

Bottom line: You need both a Healey and an E-Type.

I'd get another E-Type if I could afford it but I'd never be without a Healey.

Marv J

60 BT7
54 BN1 (2)
53 TD
50 XK120
31 CM6 (figure that one out)

OP
memphis

memphis

Jedi Hopeful
The AH was fun! It reminded me of driving a go-cart when I was younger. On the other hand, my first ride in an E was an E coupe when I was 12. I was picked up by my parents friend to babysit their daughter at their house (baby was already in bed, and all I had to do was house sit and make sure the baby didnt have any issues).

The lady was German, blonde, hot and oh so nice! I was 12 and this was Ms Robinson (only in fantasy). She really drove the E hard and gave me a fast ride! Car was a silver coupe. She told a story of out running a cop and turning off the headlights and coasting down her street and into her drive... out smarting the cop and avoiding a ticket (or worse).

Bob

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Excellent Question, I had the good fortune of being lent a Series II for the weekend a couple years ago. The E is a different cup of tea, life is short, one should own at least one of each at some point.

000_0060.jpg

000_0054.jpg

000_0059.jpg

Country flag
Glemon, you made me do a double take! I thought for a second that was my E type. Looks identical to mine in the front. I do have to comment, the car has a S1.5 bonnet and the S2 tub, so a replacement bonnet?

Marv

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Marv, no idea, I just borrowed the car for the weekend, don't actually even know the owner that well, but there was an event where it was going to be displayed and owner couldn't be there and I was recruited.

About all I know is he bought the car in pretty much the condition it is in now from someone up in Wisconsin or Minnesota. As I recall he was on vacation up in a cabin and was told about a neighbor that wanted to sell his Jaguar sports car.

He told me the asking price was so low he really couldn't say no the the purchase. Still waiting for something similar to happe to me.......

Country flag
Years ago it was not that uncommon to see bonnets swapped around on E types. Rather than fix a damaged one, bodyshops would find an E that the engine was toasted and use that bonnet regardless of S1 or S2. I have a couple of bonnets stored now, hoping I will find another E needing a bonnet.

Marv

HEALEYJAG

Jedi Warrior
As the joke goes you need to own TWO british cars.....one to drive while your fixin the other....

As you can see I follow that philosophy!!

Pete

HEALEYJAG

Jedi Warrior
It is a series 1.5 bonnet with a series 2 bumper. My series 2 also had that configuration although it had series 2 turn signals on the front. I have subsequently switched bonnets. Not a job for the the faint at heart!

Pete

Jim_Newman

Jedi Hopeful
Oh I gotta chime in on this.
I got the Healey 15 years ago because I had HAD a BN2 Healey as a kid and wanted to revisit those times. After a while I realized that the car I really lusted after when I had the first Healey was an xk140, which I finally got 10 years ago. Then one day, an e-type became available and I finally fulfilled all my British car fantasies. They're all different and they're all amazing in their own ways. The Healey is the raucus little muscle car, the 140 the sophisticated feline and the e-type, well she's the best of all.
I do not plan on selling any of them.