• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MG Fender removal

GaryBeu

Banned
OK so it's a looong story but...I need to remove the driver's side front fender on our 71 B. Is there a bolt or something holding it where the left windshield post contacts it? That seems to be the only place that is stil "hung up". Thanks.

Gary

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
The windshield post goes THRU it, Gary. Gotta remove the windshield frame. Two bolts each side, two small ones in the center. All are near-impossible to access easily. Patience and a ten-year-old's hand size help.

You'll see the bolts up under the dash on each side.

...and putting them back in is more challenging than removing them.

OP
G

GaryBeu

Banned
And I was hoping to get this repair done today... : (

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Watcha hit? :cryin:

CZ_Dave

Jedi Warrior
Be patient,
walk away when you have too
to gain your composure,
then go back to it
Take your time you'll do it right.
"we have the technology, we can rebuild him"

Been there done that

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
To access the closest bolt to the dash on the left side, pop out the brake warning light. You can get a 3/8ths extension and thin socket through the hole. On the right side, remove the glove box and use a universal between socket and extension. Works for me. PJ

OP
G

GaryBeu

Banned
Thanks ya'll. Paul...there is no glove box in this car. I'll try removing the brake warning light for the left side.

JP...the driver's door wasn't latched when backing out of the garage. Door caught on wall brace and opened a little past full and crinkled the fender. Now it catches and won't close. Also don't know yet if the hinge or something may be bent...this is NOT fun especially when we ~need~ to drive her everyday.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
GaryBeu said:
Thanks ya'll. Paul...there is no glove box in this car. I'll try removing the brake warning light for the left side.

JP...the driver's door wasn't latched when backing out of the garage. Door caught on wall brace and opened a little past full and crinkled the fender. Now it catches and won't close. Also don't know yet if the hinge or something may be bent...this is NOT fun especially when we ~need~ to drive her everyday.

Gary, sorry to hear - it's always the stupid things isn't it. A couple of thoughts - first, you might get more initial success working at the jamb instead of the hinges. You can adjust the latch posts in different directions - including "out" this should hopefully allow you to use the car while you assemble parts for the swap. This might also be worth an hour of a body shops time to straighten the hinge - and then you can do the fender at your leisure.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Gary, I had a 70 with no glove box, but never had to remove the windshield frame. It might be possible to get a ratchet box wrench on it. The bolts closest to the dash are a PITA to get at. If you aren't going to replace the rubber on the bottom of the frame, it should go back in with no problem. Just letting you know that new bottom rubber seals create a situation that most have a problem with compressing it enough to get the bolts back in and have cracked the glass in the process. PJ

OP
G

GaryBeu

Banned
Thanks for that info Paul...I had planned to order new rubber for the bottom but maybe I won't !!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Lots of clear RTV and patience, Gary.

CZ_Dave

Jedi Warrior
PAUL161 said:
Just letting you know that new bottom rubber seals create a situation that most have a problem with compressing it enough to get the bolts back in and have cracked the glass in the process. PJ

We're supposed to crack the windshield glass when we put them back with new rubber?
I must have done something wrong then, they keep going back together in one piece for me.

Just kidding, haven't cracked one yet, but I am sure that I am not imune for that.

Good luck Gary, keep a body file around just in case too. You can file down the edge's until you get your parts supply together.

bobmga62

Jedi Hopeful
without a doubt, this had to be the worse job I ever had to perform on the mgb.. I would rather pull out the engine/transmission, what have...as a matter of fact I'd rather was all the storm windows in the house

To access all the blts under the dash ( I had a 73 B) I landed up removing the tachometer and speedometer and my hand just sneaked in, turning the ratchet only slightly every time..

I think when I reassembled, I left a few ofthe bolts undone.. probably a typical MGB manuever..just could not get access to start the thread..

anyhow, no B now, got an A instead, and at least with windshield replacement, its a breeze

goatroper2

Freshman Member
Country flag

Try a hammer handle between the hinge of the door and the car body and close it hard! Take hammer out and try the fit. Keep at it till it closes proper and the start the bodywork on the wrinkle.

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Try a hammer handle between the hinge of the door and the car body and close it hard! Take hammer out and try the fit. Keep at it till it closes proper and the start the bodywork on the wrinkle.
Just FYI, you are replying to a post that is 12 years old.