• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Intro new to Forum

TVRM

Freshman Member
<span style="font-weight: bold">Hi all TVR owners</span>: I am a proud second owner of a 1974 TVR 2500 M #3030. My father bought the car in 1984 (abouts) from the original owner who bought the car new in 1974 from our local Toyota dealer who was importing TVR's. We restored the car together and had great times in the late 80's and early 90's. We drove it from Indy to "Out of the Woodwork" in 1990 when TVR club flew out Trevor Wilkins...What a great memory! I'am starting the cars 2nd. restoration currently. Sadly thanks to cancer, my father is not part of this one. We had always talked about a retro factory racer theme. I am looking for a Supercharger, and plan to build the engine to over 200 HP. The car has only about 42K and many upgrades like racing springs, better koni's etc( mostly original interior). I was at the gathering of the Griffiths in 2009 and was shocked my how low the TVR following is these days (compared to 20 yrs ago...good old college days)
I hope to get help to many of my questions here. Any imput is greatly appreciated! Thanks Mike

jessebogan

Jedi Knight
I was at that woodwork too. Welcome to the forums.

TRclassic3

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Welcome Mike. Happy to have another poster. Yes, we are a small but enthuisiastic bunch.

Nigel_TVR

Freshman Member
Welcome to the group. You will most likely find all your questions answered here.

OP
T

TVRM

Freshman Member
Thanks for the welcome...First question what is the max tire sizes front and rear a 2500M can run and be driven hard with out rubbing? Second I am looking from some black light weight wheels for the car any thoughts? Third what is the back spacing I looking for and lug measurements to order wheels that are proper? Thanks for the imput, I hope these questions are not to simple/over asked!

Mike
1974 TVR 2500
1968 327 Camaro (58K)
02 Toyota 4 runner on 33's
1989 Volvo 240DL
2010 Toyota Sequoia
Just sold...sad 1991 NSX &
2010 Camaro SS
Wife is happier and garage has more room...Hello TVR

Nigel_TVR

Freshman Member
Stock tire size was 185/70/14. I have seen posts of people running 225/60/14 but not sure about rubbing issues. Lug pattern is 4 by 4.5 inches(114.3 mm). Back-spacing on stock rims 3.5 inches. I run 185's on three piece rims (magnesium centers with spun aluminum halves)6.5 inches wide with a 3.25 back-spacing. Many options available if you decide to go to larger rims.

OP
T

TVRM

Freshman Member
I plan to at least use 15 inch rims, its hard to even find many 15's let alone 14's these days. I thought I saw a 2500 years back with 225/50/15 all around the owner said only slight rubbing in tight turns. The HP that I have planned for mine I will need max tire at least in the rear. I also like the look the fat tires have on a 2500. My plans are to keep the wolfrace that came on the car for shows, and use the black wheels for track time and most street driving. Motegi makes some nice light weight wheels. I guess I am hoping a fellow 2500 owner with larger tires while say first hand what works. Thanks for the stock info Nigel.

ralph_s

Jedi Trainee
Mike,
Welcome to the BCF. Lots of good info and help here. Great that you have the history of the car. Keep posting and lots of oics.
Ralph

MarshgrassA

Jedi Trainee
Would love to see pictures. I 1st saw a Blue TVR 2500M at the Columbia SC British car show 3 or 4 years ago and put that on my bucket list.
Nigel...was that one of your cars?
Started doing research and found I liked a lot of TVR's.
After trying one on I found I did not fit in them very well since I am short so ended up with a nice TR4A to add to my collection. Still like the older ones and would love to see pictures of your resto as it progresses......
Irene

OP
T

TVRM

Freshman Member
I tried to upload some pic's, but I guess my photos are to many megs. Most pic's I take are about 3 mg photos....Iam a photo bug, so I always shoot the best image possible. I will take some lower quality pics next trip up to the restoration shop where the TVR is at. My car is White with the Black roof top area. The rocker panel area is black also. Its the original color and I am painting it the same to keep it original. It has Alum. Wolfrace wheels that came on it.