• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Elan + 2, how much bigger than baby Elan

Jayrz

Jedi Trainee
I've a 69 Elan SE S4. Love the car, but, darn its small. I need a bit more width in the cabin when I don't have my arm over the door, like when the windows are up and top up. Other than that its got decent enough room inside. Is the +2 any wider in the cabin?

Never driven a +2 or even sat in one. Seems like they would drive very similarly though, right?

Jay

coldplugs

Darth Vader
Platinum
Country flag
The +2 is about 10 inches wider on the outside. Hip room is wider by about 1.5 inches per side. Oddly, the baby Elan has a bit more leg room.

I've never driven a +2 but have sat in several. They seem much roomier than the baby (I had a '67 Coupe).

Don't forget that, unless you get a converted one, +2's are Coupes.

(Welcome to the forum!)

Super 7

Jedi Warrior
300lbs bigger for one.

The window really isn't in the right location for resting an arm outside.

I have owned and loved two. I love the way they look, as well. So darn pretty IMHO.

They are worth half to 2/3 of the price of an Elan roadster and every bit as expensive to restore/repair/maintain. I don't see how an 1800 lb car could be any more refined to drive though. Comfortable, supple ride, little wind noise, and good ventilation.

JBsZ06

Jedi Hopeful
Lotus Elan + 2

That truly is yet another stunning car.......

I never, or rarely see them for sale...

Hegg

Jedi Hopeful
I'm not an expert by any means, but my +2 is quite roomy inside given the size of the car. It's a little bit of work getting in and out (cuz it's low), but once you're in, it's roomy. I've had 300lb people sitting in mine and they all mention how suprisingly roomy it is.

But it's still a small car. And yes, gorgeously stunning. I catch myself staring at it all the time.

OP
Jayrz

Jayrz

Jedi Trainee
Thanks for the replies guys. I drove the Elan to work today and beyond going deaf, my commute is 1.5 hrs, I had alot of fun. Oh by the way, flat out in fourth turning about 6400 rpm the top tries to tear itself off, uh yeah.

Hegg I wish you were closer to Denver, I'd like to sit in one or drive one soon.

One thing the car screams for, literally, is a 5 speed. Rivergate makes a great conversion to put a datsun box in an A series motored spridget. Anyone try to make a plate to install this or a similar box to the cortina block?

My goal,
5speed +2 with a warm 140-150hp motor, cv joints,nice paint refurbished supension. Nice stereo...

thats all I want..........can I do that for less than 20k?

Hegg

Jedi Hopeful
Jayrz, Salt Lake City is just South of me (where I work) and they have a yearly British Car Show in downtown. I haven't heard the date yet, but I think the planning meeting for it is next week.

If you have a chance to come down, I'll give you a showing. The hard part, of course, is finding one. I'd love to come up to Denver in it for fun anyway, but I've got to get my rear suspension fixed, as well as work out a few little tweaks before I go on any long trips.

If it helps: https://unabled.com/show/cars/elan/ThePhoto and https://unabled.com/show/cars/elan/TheShow

It's almost exactly the same length as a PT Cruiser, but obviously differs in other dimensions.

PC

Obi Wan
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
...One thing the car screams for, literally, is a 5 speed. Rivergate makes a great conversion to put a datsun box in an A series motored spridget. Anyone try to make a plate to install this or a similar box to the cortina block?...

[/ QUOTE ]Isn't the motor in the Elan a Lotus/Ford (Kent) Twink?

I thought 5-speed Ford boxes were a plentiful, easy conversion?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif

PC.

OP
Jayrz

Jayrz

Jedi Trainee
PC,
reference the ford box I thought there were reasons this wasn't easy and required alot of work and or rare lotus parts to get the shifter into the correct spot.

If anyone out there knows how this is done with attainable parts please chime in. I almost don't like to drive the thing on the highway because of this.

thanks

Jay

Super 7

Jedi Warrior
Type R Boy has the Alfa 5 speed in his. The type 9 (Merkur)gearbox bolts up to the Lotus block, but is wide ratio with a low first. You would need to replace the internals to make it work as well as stock everywhere except the highway. Quaife, of course sells the gear sets. It may be a tight fit in the frame though. In a Cortina or 105E, a new larger tunnel is needed.

The stock 4 speed is Ford based, but Lotus boxes had a taller 1st and closely spaced gears stock. Gear ratios which Fords using the same transmission did not have.

Personally, I would prefer a Lotus (Ford based) 4 speed with the close ratios over a 5 speed with a short first and wide spaced gears, like a standard type 9 or T5.