• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Internet annoyances

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Lately have been having Interweb issues, grinding to a halt, dropping connection. Called last week and was told to bring in and exchange modem. check. no difference, called again, was told it was as good as it gets but there was an issue with the service that I needed to call another department and get changed - was 11pm so went to bed. Yesterday, was worse than before and dropped service so this am called again.

1. wrong service to what we were paying for - sending bad signals to modem.

2. no one mentioned the new modem has a built in wireless router.

3. needed to be reconfigured

check
check
check

blisteringly fast!

I think my cable company should change their name to Lucas or British Leyland.

V

vagt6

We're pretty lucky to have pretty good high speed internet service here. Near a major university probably helps.

My livlihood (income) depends on using the web, I'm toast without the internet.

Strange, how *some* of us recall that the world worked just fine and dandy without computers, faxes and the internet. Now, I'm literally married to it, for good or ill.

Progress? Regress? Recess? :crazyeyes:

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
OK, latest chapter. Modem has built in router with the range of a fruit fly. you walk in the next room and you loose the signal. Got them to disable the router and reconnected mine. Signal is better but, we have an apartment that uses the signal too. Am getting the tenant to check, but, is there such a thing as a repeater or something? This is cable internet we have and there is cable running into the apartment.

help!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Yup. Make one into an access point. In addendum: a "best practices" scheme is to completely disable DHCP on all the devices inside the LAN and assign each a unique IP address, then change the name of the workgroup to something besides MSHOME/WORKGROUP on the LAN devices. On the wireless devices, turn off the SSID broadcasting after the setup is complete.

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
DrEntropy said:
Yup. Make one into an access point. In addendum: a "best practices" scheme is to completely disable DHCP on all the devices inside the LAN and assign each a unique IP address, then change the name of the workgroup to something besides MSHOME/WORKGROUP on the LAN devices. On the wireless devices, turn off the SSID broadcasting after the setup is complete.
If you could PM me or post that in English? would be greatly appreciated.

sparkydave

Jedi Knight
Country flag
JPSmit said:
OK, latest chapter. Modem has built in router with the range of a fruit fly. you walk in the next room and you loose the signal. Got them to disable the router and reconnected mine. Signal is better but, we have an apartment that uses the signal too. Am getting the tenant to check, but, is there such a thing as a repeater or something? This is cable internet we have and there is cable running into the apartment.

help!

Have you tried changing the channel? It could very well be that it's having to compete with other access points. Strangely, they don't automatically pick a clear channel to use. Note that adjacent channels still interfere with each other, so you'll have to go two channels away if it's a wireless B router, or 7 channels away if it's wireless G or N.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I went back and reread. What "cable" runs to the apartment? Coax or Cat-5/6?

What router? Make/model. Are you expecting it to be automagically detected by the computer(s)? How distant is the apartment from the WiFi router?

Do what Dave suggests and assign the router to use something like channel 11, manually set the MTU to 1500.

This is an example of internet and geography being reason for frustration! If I had fifteen minutes alone with the thing I'd pagger it into submission.

JP said:
If you could PM me or post that in English? would be greatly appreciated.

<span style="font-style: italic">EDIT: Been "away" for a bit, have to leave th' hovel for most of the rest of the week. Will endeavor to get you step-by-each if you let me know what router you have. Or one of the other guys could chime in if I go MIA. Setting up four laptops in a business today, point-of-sale use, WiFi is a Buffalo <snicker> router. "Beefy!"</span>

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
OK, here goes:

Cable internet - coax in.

Modem: Cisco Model DPC3825

Wireless Router: Belkin N Wireless Router Model F5D8236-4V2

anything else?

thanks for this!