• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Those RHD Japanese imports...

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Unbelievable!Why don't come up with a smog - check system?
Sounds like someone wants to control things.

- Doug

D

Deleted member 8987

Japan's emissions laws are stricter than ours....yet, when used Japanese engines started showing up here, our local EPA decided they did not meet US standards and banned the sale and/or use of them...for a while anyway.
A riend who lived in Japan told me why there were so many engines. Something like, buy a new car, emissions are no cost.....second year, compliance test and fees was like $2K, third year, like $10K, so they got scrapped.
Nothing to do with the pollution control devices failing.....rather bureaucratic nonsense and taxation.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I agree - the Zimbabwe story seems more about preserving a monopoly than a legit concern for emissions. Of course the Japanese stringent regs really made the Japanese auto industry possible after the war. Let's face it if everyone has to buy a new car every four years.....

I remember about 20 years ago in New Zealand they were importing used Japanese cars by the shipload because the economy was so precarious they couldn't afford new. No current parallel to that situation :whistle:

BTW the real problem with JDM cars is they add to my wish list
RV8

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
TOC said:
Japan's emissions laws are stricter than ours....yet, when used Japanese engines started showing up here, our local EPA decided they did not meet US standards and banned the sale and/or use of them...for a while anyway.
A riend who lived in Japan told me why there were so many engines. Something like, buy a new car, emissions are no cost.....second year, compliance test and fees was like $2K, third year, like $10K, so they got scrapped.
Nothing to do with the pollution control devices failing.....rather bureaucratic nonsense and taxation.
something similar is happening in California. No smog tests for the first 6 years, and then smog tests every other year after that. Though, the amount paid for the tests isn't as bad. And the tax paid on the vehicle does go down w/ the vehicles age, but it is enough to make most people (who can afford it) jump ship after the first 6 years. Then the.... sorry... slippery slope there... almost went down it...

swift6

Yoda
Ever notice how the length of the exemption parralels the warranty period of the emissions controls? Isn't that handy? When I was working as an emissions tech right out of high school, brand new cars still needed to be tested to insure the emissions controls were all working.

Of course now, OBDII does a pretty good job of that as well.