• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Installed my new Moto-Lita today

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Finally got the new hub for my Moto-Lita steering wheel today. This was the 3rd one I tried -- one of the downfalls of having a RHD car in a LHD world is that while most parts interchange, some don't. Wound up going direct to Moto-Lita to get it, and it took a little while.

I loved the email I got from them letting me know that their entire staff were on holiday and my order might be delayed. Neat.

I like it. It's 15" and not dished. The old Mountney wheel was 14" and dished towards the driver. Steering feels a bit lighter and the gauges are much more visible. My arms can stretch a bit more as well which is nice, and I can reach the OD switch without taking my hands off the wheel. My left knee hits it just a smidge when clutching, but not badly.

I'm a big fan of the Derrington equally spaced spoke design. It's a keeper.

mgb_wheel.jpg

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I'm really happy with it. I never liked the dished leather wheel that came with the car, so I'm happy to have it swapped. Adds just a bit of color to the interior, and feels good under the fingers.

CZ_Dave

Jedi Warrior
Nice, I like it!

chad

i've got this set up, how does the horn push hook up? does it use the brush? i can't see how the push activates a horn brush , or is the hook up different? thanks,

Country flag
Very nice wheel! The one thing that's a negative in my book is the silver "dots" around the rim. Reminds me of the Grant wood rim steering wheels. I prefer a plain wood rim.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
chad said:
i've got this set up, how does the horn push hook up? does it use the brush? i can't see how the push activates a horn brush , or is the hook up different? thanks,
For my MGB there is a ring on the back of the hub that contacts a little fixed wiper that is attached to the steering column. The Moto-Lita hub horn push has a wire that runs from the horn button to that ring. Do keep in mind that different years used very different setups, and my MGB is UK home market car which adds another possible layer of difference. The folks at Moto-Lita were very helpful, so you can always ask them directly.

Silverghost said:
Very nice wheel! The one thing that's a negative in my book is the silver "dots" around the rim. Reminds me of the Grant wood rim steering wheels. I prefer a plain wood rim.
Funny, I really like the rivets and don't like wheels without them. Great example of how personal a choice a steering wheel is. :smile:

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Silverghost said:

Funny, I love the rivets - my only regret with my own (no name) wheel is that they don't have 'em - once again different strokes. :cheers:

Wheel looks great Drew!

CZ_Dave

Jedi Warrior
Rivet, Rivet, buuuuurrrrrp

My bull frog immitation

Like the wheel!

Country flag
CZ_Dave said:
Rivet, Rivet, buuuuurrrrrp

My bull frog immitation

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: