• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Elan S2 numbers

BRSLimited

Jedi Trainee
Ok I have a chance to pick up a fairly decent 64-65 Elan S2 project car but the problem is there are no body tags or title with it. Is there a number anywhere on the chassis or hidden anywhere else on the body that I could get a number from so I can get a title? I'm pretty sure I'm going to get the car and I would much rather be able to title it and put it together than to part it out. Nobody happens to have a spare title/tags do they?

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I never found chassis numbers stamped in the frames or bodies. Some of the panels (doors, lids) have had the four-digit number (after the series, i.e. 45/<span style="font-style: italic">XXXX</span>) scrawled inside with a marker or paint. Have found those NOT to match the actual number on the ID plate, tho.

EricG

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
If you stand at the front bumper and look at the far left side of the firewall near the area where the bonnet would shut there should be a set of numbers that are raised or stamped in the fiberglass. They are about 1/4 inch high and may have been sanded off or painted over. This is the body number. There is a site in England about the early Elans which has cross references for the body/chassis numbers for most of the early Elans. Not sure but the frame may be stamped/engraved with the chassis number on the left side upper frame rail near the generator. That is assuming that is still the original frame and it has not been replaced like mine has been. I have a S2 Elan I am restoring now and would be interested in the car you found if you don't want it or if you part it out.
Thanks, Eric

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
There was a metal ID plate with the numbers hand-scribed on it
when it came from the factory,that was held on by screws,that you're NOT
supposed to remove from the car (ask me how I know).
I would also contact the Lotus clubs to get more information.
On some cars,like English Fords,there was a month/year stamp on the wheels.
That would help narrow it down.

- Doug

OP
B

BRSLimited

Jedi Trainee
Ended up getting the car, it was too good of a deal to pass up. Found the numbers stamped into the firewall, the numbers there are 4949. Going to be pulling the body off the chassis and hopefully find the numbers on that. This is a RHD car imported from England by a serviceman about 30 years ago. I will be looking for some rear suspension parts, a differential, brake parts, hubs (knock-on style) and a boot lid. Probably many other parts along the way. I don't have the engine for the car but will be keeping my eyes open for one of those too if I can find a decent deal on one. If anyone has a car they are parting out or have parts left over send me an PM and I'll get you a list of things I need.

64Elan

The number you found is not the serial number but the unit number. It would be very rare if they were both the same. I suggest you check out the following: LotusElan.net

Type 26 registry

You can also email the Lotus Historian and he may have additional info like the serial number that he figure out from the unit number. His email is: agraham@lotuscars.co.uk
and his name is Andy Graham.

Hope all this helps. How about a few pics to determin if it's an early or late S2

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
My bad! Apologies to BRSLimited.

EricG said:
Not sure but the frame may be stamped/engraved with the chassis number on the left side upper frame rail near the generator.

Yup. Stamped. At least it is on my S-3.

64Elan

Yes thats where the chassis number is, and the engine number is stamped on the boss above the engine mount on the left side as you face the car from the front, Engine number should start with LP. Some engine numbers are also stamped on the back of the head but not all. Using a mirror look for the number to see if it matches the block number.

So without the serial number plate you should be able to get the unit number, chassis number, and engine number which is a good start at figuring out the serial number. Being as it's RHD it's very possible the chassis was replaced because of rust, unless the car was shipped to the states very early on. If thats the case then the chassis number won't match the original.

64Elan

Oops, just read that you don't have an engine. You will have a problem finding a complete engine, but Ford did start reproducing the block just last year. The heads are available new as well but are very very expensive.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I do have a bare Stromberg head, always intended to "convert" it to Weber intake but haven't... the old Round Tuit syndrome. Machining may be less expensive than the alternative "new" ones. I'd say look for a complete engine on the various forums.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I have a few rebuildable 1500 engines around here.

- Doug

OP
B

BRSLimited

Jedi Trainee
I have the block and crank but no head, pistons, rods, ect. I am thinking that the chassis probably is original to the car and does have some minor rust that is repairable and probably does not warrent a replacement chassis. It was brought over by a US serviceman and has been here for about 30 years. AFAIK the car was dissassembled for restoration and put into 2 storage units. When the units were auctioned off for non payment the guy that got this one did not get the other one that had more parts in it. I found a guy local (actually in my car club) that had an S2 elan that caught fire several years ago and he has a lot of parts but I will probably be needing more.