• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

3000M

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Obviously, I have a schizophrenic approach to my Healey. When it's complete, the only external clue to the V8 motor will be the Cobra-style trigger reverse shift lever and the oversize dual chrome exhaust tips ( which will exit the rear on the left rear as original) That hasn't kept me from adding some period "personalizations" (Lin's word) The latest is the 100M bonnet strap:

IMG_0205.jpg

Now, this isn't any old generic bonnet strap, this is a gen-you-wine 100M strap purchased from the 100M Register, which I had to join in order to purchase. And it is a much higher quality one than obtained from the usual suspects.

I just like the look and it brings to mind one of my favorite quotes from Burt Levy's "The Last Open Road" when describing a Cad Allard:

"My God, what a beast that car was! The grille was nothing but a huge chromium sneer and there were scoops and vents and louvers chopped all over the place to let the heat breathe out (or cool air in, I could never figure out which) and you couldn't miss how they had the hood buttoned down with no less than five separate butterfly fasteners and two great wide leather straps, each one hefty enough to harness a prize bull. Whatever monstrous kind of motor was in there, they weren't taking any chances on it breaking out."

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Here's the 1960 Works 3000S Canadian Championship winning car. No hood scope, louvers, or side vents....Doesn't over heat, go fiigure.
Kevin Adair proved the car and drivr can stay cool winning the 2017 Rolex Monterey Historic Reunion 1955-64 GT Class.

Sonoma Healey Pits 2014.jpg

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Isn't it against the rules to modify the body by eliminating the hood (bonnet) scoop?

Not if it was done by the Healey Works as a factory supported racer. This was the car Bill Bolton owned for years, but never saw the track while it his care. It sold for a song after he parted with it to be in the defunked Healey Muesum at VIR. It's in great ownership now being used as it was designed, beating Ferrari's, Corvettes ans the like.....

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/...ealey-3000-mk-i-bn7-vintage-racing-car/189436

Country flag
Not if it was done by the Healey Works as a factory supported racer. This was the car Bill Bolton owned for years, but never saw the track while it his care. It sold for a song after he parted with it to be in the defunked Healey Muesum at VIR. It's in great ownership now being used as it was designed, beating Ferrari's, Corvettes ans the like.....

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/...ealey-3000-mk-i-bn7-vintage-racing-car/189436
Gorgeous (but needs pointy reflectors)!

OP
HealeyRick

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag

I noticed the auction write-up says it has an estimated 280 hp. Is that accurate? I actually think the 3000 looks better without the hood scoop and it's hard to believe the scoop did much for engine room cooling. My car was originally an SCCA racer in 6 cylinder guise and when I got it I noticed the hood was adjusted so the rear edge was lifted to allow hot air to escape out the back.

roscoe

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Another lifetime ago I had an early import model Toyota Corolla. The hood opened as my BN2 does, hinged at the front. In my youth I drove it in some very hot weather and used to pop the hood release to have it act as a giant cowl flap. Worked well. It bit me one day driving my next car which was a Datsun 510 station wagon. Driving in sweltering heat, I reached to pop the "cowl flap" and just as it went click, I realized this was not my Corolla and at about 70 miles an hour on Interstate 80 in Kansas I darn near ripped my hood off the car. Some safety catch. Cracked the windshield but by gum, with some wire and tape I made it to California.

red57

Jedi Knight
Country flag
@HealeyRick

Your louvers came out great and must help a lot in cooling things. Are your fingers recovering yet? How much would you charge to do another one?:smile:

IMO the scoop had nothing to do with cooling, it was a just necessary modification so the radiator could be pushed forward enough to stuff the long six in. I agree that they look better without the scoop (closer to the original concept) so I made a hood without the scoop about 25 years ago and after over 15 years of racing I can say without a doubt that cooling is not affected by the lack scoop. Altho I never raised the rear edge, I know lots of other cars that have done that mod and it seems to really help - getting air in isn't the problem, getting air out is.

BTW, Reid is correct that according to the written regs, you aren't supposed to have a modified car unless you can document history of it being modified "in the day", however in entering 99 events over the years (most cases with a photo submitted along with the entry) no one ever noticed the lack of scoop - go figure.

Dave

OP
HealeyRick

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
@HealeyRick

Your louvers came out great and must help a lot in cooling things. Are your fingers recovering yet? How much would you charge to do another one?:smile:

Dave

Thanks, Dave. It sounds like you've had experience sanding louvers before. Not fun. 64 louvers, sanded multiple times on both sides. I can go out and rob banks now as I have no fingerprints left.

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Nice job Rick. It really looks nice. Glad you got it done. But I thought the leather strap on your car was to keep all the Ford parts from flying out. :highly_amused::highly_amused::highly_amused::highly_amused::highly_amused::joyous:

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Bye the Way Rick, the colour match looks good in the pic. Are you happy with it ?

Dave.

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I noticed the auction write-up says it has an estimated 280 hp. Is that accurate? I actually think the 3000 looks better without the hood scoop and it's hard to believe the scoop did much for engine room cooling. My car was originally an SCCA racer in 6 cylinder guise and when I got it I noticed the hood was adjusted so the rear edge was lifted to allow hot air to escape out the back.

Yes, 280 hp is accurate. The current UK race Healeys are pushing close to 325+.....

OP
HealeyRick

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Nice job Rick. It really looks nice. Glad you got it done. But I thought the leather strap on your car was to keep all the Ford parts from flying out. :highly_amused::highly_amused::highly_amused::highly_amused::highly_amused::joyous:

Can't tell you how long it's been since I've heard a good Ford joke like "Fix or Repair Daily" or "Found on the Road Dead" Tha's a good one! I prefer to think of it like one of my favorite quotes from Burt Levy's "Last Open Road" when describing a Cad Allard:

"My God, what a beast that car was! The grille was nothing but a huge chromium sneer and there were scoops and vents and louvers chopped all over the place to let the heat breathe out (or cool air in, I could never figure out which) and you couldn't miss how they had the hood buttoned down with no less than five separate butterfly fasteners and two great wide leather straps, each one hefty enough to harness a prize bull. Whatever monstrous kind of motor was in there, they weren't taking any chances on it breaking out."

Bye the Way Rick, the colour match looks good in the pic. Are you happy with it ?

Dave.

Finally! Don't know if I told you but the mismatch the first time around was due to the first paint supplier somehow making a mistake in mixing the formula. The second painter mixed it according to the formula (a Mack truck color, btw) and it came out perfectly.

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Ok pd, now you can race that Alpha. I'll bet you a C-gar that you can run circles around Rick's Healey. Although I did see a video once of Rick's Healey on the Gymkana, it looked pretty good.