• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Locost

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Just my 2p but I'd be looking for a Caterham, maybe a half-finished one.

OP
L

Legal Bill

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Don,

As I understand it, the Locost is the subject of a book by Ron Champion and the frame design in his book is refferred to as the "book" frame. there is a whole message board called Locost that discusses this. Here is a link to the topic that discusses some of this background:

https://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=6561

Some of the people build pretty nice looking cars. Here is an example:

https://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=12606

Obviously, I could ask questions in the Locost forum, but I have to figure they are all fans of the concept and I was wondering what all of you think, assuming you have any experience with the design. Assuming it is made well, how does it feel and handle?

Dr. E,

Thanks. Sadly, there are not many half finished Chaterhams in this neck of the woods.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Don't know if I've ever seen one.
More of a Caterham fan, myself

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Bob Claffie said:
https://www.ffcars.com/forums/43-off-topi...ighlight=locost

If this works it will bring you to a scratch built Locost by a Cobra replica owner. If you fish around on that thread there are hundreds of entries and pictures from start to finish. Bob

That's a great thread, Bob. I've been watching Eric's build since he first posted and he did a lot for a small outlay of cash. Plus, it looks like a blast.

Bill, If you want to street register it in MA, I think it's just about impossible. I had thought about this as a possible retirement project. I couldn't find any regs on it, but did find a thread (unfindable now) where someone asked the RMV and was told the only way to register a homemade chassis is by having the welding done by a certified welder and the frame inspected by a certified engineer, All of a sudden, the LoCost became a HiCost.

OP
L

Legal Bill

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Bob Claffie said:

If this works it will bring you to a scratch built Locost by a Cobra replica owner. If you fish around on that thread there are hundreds of entries and pictures from start to finish. Bob

Yeah, that is the same car I linked to in my post above.

Just wondering if anyone ever drove a Locost and what you thought of it. Seems like none of you have.

OP
L

Legal Bill

Jedi Knight
Country flag
HealeyRick said:
Bob Claffie said:

That's a great thread, Bob. I've been watching Eric's build since he first posted and he did a lot for a small outlay of cash. Plus, it looks like a blast.

Bill, If you want to street register it in MA, I think it's just about impossible. I had thought about this as a possible retirement project. I couldn't find any regs on it, but did find a thread (unfindable now) where someone asked the RMV and was told the only way to register a homemade chassis is by having the welding done by a certified welder and the frame inspected by a certified engineer, All of a sudden, the LoCost became a HiCost.

Interesting Rick. They must have changed the regulations somewhere along the way.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Have driven a home-brew copy of the Seven, built from tubing and sheet by a mechanical engineer. Originally had a Fiat 1300, I built a 1600 T/C Lotus engine for it. It was strictly a track car, built to Seven spec's and dimentions. Impossible to get it "titled" for the street tho.
It handled and drove like a Seven, I've driven plenty of those. :wink:

BlueMax

Jedi Warrior
I Drive a SV every chance I can, but where it’s really in its domain is on the track. It’s hard to find an automobile more exuberating with more than 200hp that weights in at 1150lbs and has six gears to select from and a LSD pulling you through the corners.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Hey, L.P.!! Wazzat you in Schenley Park with a #6 meatball on the doors?

LotusPosition

LOL, only in some type of Mitty fantasy.

Clark Lance out of Michigan runs his dark blue S1 w/hardtop at this event pretty much every year.

BTW, Bob Leitzinger and his 26r clone waxed all the Porkers and won his race.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Only had a couple seconds of hand-held shaky vid to view. Musta been Lance.
I heard about Leitzinger givin' the Porkchops a gnawin'. :thumbsup:

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
My brother has been exploring the idea of a locost for a couple years now, plans on starting after he gets his bugeye done.

There are lots of ways to do it, since you are probably going to go with a front engine rear drive driveline the engine/transmission choices are a little more limited. Small trucks, early Miatas, old BMW 3 series, Mazda rotaries are some of the likely donors, a local guy built one with an Alfa twin cam, pretty cool. A rusted out Jensen Healey might be a pretty good donor as well, and you could even have an Lotus engine then.

You can buy chassis but that takes a lot of the "lo" out of locost. However I know I don't feel I weld well enough to to build up a safe solid frame, but you might take to it much better than I.

Westfield_XI

Jedi Warrior
If you want a cheap Lotus 7 buy a Caterham, if you want a cheap Caterham buy a Westfield, if you want a cheap Westfield build a Locost.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
That'd be the "pecking order", IMO, too.

nomad

Yoda
Legal Bill said:
HealeyRick said:
Bob Claffie said:

Interesting Rick. They must have changed the regulations somewhere along the way.

The world is full of hot rods and kit cars. Theres got to be a way around that. Build it then have someone from a sane state title it.

Kurt.

Westfield_XI

Jedi Warrior
I think most kit cars come with a factory welded chassis, in fact, I cannot think of one that does not. My kit also included a Manufacturers Certificate of Origin which probably covered the states concerns about the chassis. Still, I had to title and register it under a special program for new constructed non factory vehicles.