• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Before you complain about TR parts cost

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Had a bit of a scare on the on the "new" 911 yesterday when I thought I might need a new alternator (turns out I just needed to clean the connections).

The new high output alternators list for $729.00. <span style="font-weight: bold">Gasp</span>.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
GM one won't fit, Tom
grin.gif

simpson

tdskip said:
Had a bit of a scare on the on the "new" 911 yesterday when I thought I might need a new alternator (turns out I just needed to clean the connections).

The new high output alternators list for $729.00. <span style="font-weight: bold">Gasp</span>.

Sounds like what us taxpayers get gigged with by our ever efficient and fiscally responsible government expenditures. Sure the 911 alternator was not commissioned by the govt?

lbcs_r_fun

Jedi Hopeful
simpson said:
tdskip said:

Sounds like what us taxpayers get gigged with by our ever efficient and fiscally responsible government expenditures. Sure the 911 alternator was not commissioned by the govt?

What does this have to do with the Govt and why did you find it necessary to ask????

Stay on topic if you want to contribute or visit another site! The boss has rules about these issues!!! :nonono:

G

Barak,is that you using the name lbcs r fun on the forum? Guess things are getting a little testy in "The Cap",these days?

SkinnedKnuckles

Jedi Trainee
Ha! I had to get a new ciggy lighter for the Lexus - $38. But since it will last forever (don't ask what happened to the old one) and all the generics I tried blew fuses it will have to do.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Randy, does that come in <span style="color: #FF0000">RED</span>

D

Deleted member 8987

lbcs_r_fun said:
What does this have to do with the Govt and why did you find it necessary to ask????

Stay on topic if you want to contribute or visit another site! The boss has rules about these issues!!! :nonono:

At a whopping 109 posts, one would think a junior internet policeman would think twice, but I guess anything can happen.

Looks like this is a job for Off-Topic Man!

GBRandy

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Nah.....no one sees it anyway!

Half the fun is finding the OEM supplier for these parts.

My O2 sensors ( I have four) are all $280 a <span style="font-weight: bold">piece</span> from Ricambi (the Roadster Factory of Ferrari world).

A little research reveals they are standard Bosch 13819 & 13820 sensors. I bought mine on Amazon for $70 a piece :smile:

HerronScott

Darth Vader
And here I was complaining about the rebuilt alternator costs for my wife's old Contour at $190! It's obviously been a "few" years since I dealt with alternators but the last time I had to buy one I think they were somegthing like $50-$60.

Scott

D

Deleted member 8987

Many years ago, I saw a book on early T-Bird parts. It listed the T-Bird part and part number, then it gave the part number for the exact same part for regular Fords......like park light lenses, taillight lenses, gauges, shocks, brakes, drivetrain....and the regular bits were half the cost of those for T-Birds. The engineering numbers on the parts were the same (close to a part number, but different) so it was Ford re-boxing with different part numbers of the same part for double the cost!

D

Deleted member 8987

We do our best....just takes a while to get into the freaking costume!

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
ISTR that the fan clutch (viscous coupling) for a mid-1970s Triumph Spitfire was much cheaper than the IDENTICAL part as fitted to Volvos of the period. And I fondly remember to this day stories told me by my favorite Triumph dealer parts department manager and his encounters with various customers. Not surprisingly, many Jaguar parts were identical to those of other British cars, but they often were priced in Jaguar territory (if you get my drift). Meanwhile, parts departments had plenty of latitude on what and how to charge customers regardless. Of course, the "trade" would get substantial discounts, as would steady customers (of which yours truly was one). And the prices, especially with "retail" Jaguar customers, could go down -- or way UP -- depending on the attitude of said customers! All this was above and beyond the reality that a Lucas or Girling (just as an example) part usually cost even the dealer much less when purchased directly through a Lucas/Girling jobber or distributor than it would if it came through the British Leyland or Triumph distributor network.

rlich8

Jedi Trainee
Triumph and English car parts in general, even jag, are pretty cheap compared to parts for most modern cars.

The reason they're such expensive cars is because many of them were badly maintained over the years.

D

Deleted member 8987

I've spent the last three years un-doing thirty years of gas-station maintenence on my LBC.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
That seems to have been my experience for forty years, TOC. Any LBC we would see in the shop had cobbled wiring or mechanicals. The cars got little respect from owners ~or~ the places repiaring them. The lucky ones survived and were rescued by those of us who DO respect 'em. I can truthfully say the personal LBC's have never had the oft-complained-about Lucas electrical problems or been mechanically unreliable. The problems most times have been caused by jack-leg repair methods or ignorance. I drove the Elan as my daily for eleven years, MGB's longer than that.
Heck, even this Alfa Spider has been a reliable daily for that long. :wink: :shocked:

rlich8

Jedi Trainee
When maintained properly, they're really easy to keep going mechanically.

There's never a reason to cut into the wiring harness. People forget that wires almost NEVER go bad. Switches go bad, fuses go bad, relays go bad, and fuse boxes need to sometimes be replaced.