• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Elan +2 rear shocks

Hegg

Jedi Hopeful
Welp, it's time to replace the rear shocks on my +2. I've heard that the Elan rear-end is not fun to work on.

Anyone have any suggestions for replacing the shocks that would make life easier for me?

Thanks!

TypeRboy

Jedi Warrior
Never done that with the body on. If you can access the nut on the top of the strut, then you ( maybe ) could undo the lower suspension ( mostly.. you just want everything loose so that it's easy to take apart, and allows the control arm to swing down as far as possible. If you actually undo everything then you will not be able to stabilize the strut to preload it with a jack ) ) and raise the car up ( The chassis needs to be higher than it normally would for the suspension to swing down far enough to unload the spring ) then preload the suspension and use an air gun ( or electric impact gun, mine works just great! ) and release the top nut. then drop the car down onto some sort of block then keep dropping the suspension until the spring is under no load.

Undo the lower control arm the rest of the way and remove the strut. Replace the shock ( a job in it's self if you don't have a vise to hold the strut to undo the shock housing nut..) A gas shock works well for reassembly using this method, as it will always want to extend, allowing you to get it into the hole in the upper strut bushing which is still in the frame, and that can save you a few tries..

The disadvantage of this is the possibility of the car falling during the operation ( maybe on you ) and I'll bet you will not be able to remove the upper bushing and replace it ( which would be a good idea..)

The regular Elans have a hole above each rear shock tower to get at the strut bolt. I would imagine that the Plus 2 does as well.

Unless somebody has another way, body off is the next choice.. then it's duck soup ( you may find it easier to compress the shock on the car rather than using a spring compressor, depending on the access you have, both body on or off..)

Have fun ( Mark cackles and moves away with a Quasimoto limp...)

OP
Hegg

Hegg

Jedi Hopeful
Wow, thanks for the thorough answer. I probably won't start for another month or so, but I appreciate the helpful answers. I may have to consider taking the body off to make life easier.

Super 7

Jedi Warrior
I've never done it.

The top bolts are under your reat window, under those rubber caps. I did remove the rear A arms on my first one and rebush them. It was easy. I remember reading the manual on shock replacement and being glad I didn't need any.

Good luck.

I have a set of good Plus 2 A arms (stock ones)and a roll of headliner material if you are interested.

OP
Hegg

Hegg

Jedi Hopeful
I am interested if you wouldn't mind emailing me (hegg@unabled.com) with some pics/prices!

Thanks for the reply,

Hegg