• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Just purchased an 84 280i from the UK

js43lotus

Freshman Member
Hi:
I just purchased an 84 Tasmin 280i from the UK. It will be shipped to Baltimore within the next 2-weeks. I am new to TVR's and mostly collect Lotus cars.
I don't see much traffic on this forum about Tasmin's. Is there a member in the Baltimore-Washington area with Tasmin experience that I can contact?
Regards, Jerry

ralph_s

Jedi Trainee
Jerry,
Welcome to the fold, I'm a 2500M owner in Elizabethtown PA. Where are you located in PA?
Again, congrats and welcome.
Ralph

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
Not related to the subject but spent some college time at E-town.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Good luck and please post some photos.

I'll be at the PVGP, racing at Shenley Park. Will be at the BeaveRun the week before too. We'll be at the Wyndam hotel for the week, so we will try to make it down to the car show.

ralph_s

Jedi Trainee
No P'burg, I'll be scuba diving in North Carolina that week. Check out the LANCO MG club web site. You might want to join us. Two good shows sponsored by the club, check it out. I always take my TVR to the shows, would enjoy the company. Ed Ott (from the BCF formu)has a beautiful 2500M and we hook up at the Gettysburg show. Hope to see you there.

Bruce,
An E-town college guy. My wife's worked there in the health center for 30 years. Got my sons free education via the tuition exchange program. What a deal!!

jessebogan

Jedi Knight
I am outside of DC, and have plenty of TVR experience, including tasmin/280i stuff. I even have an 84 US spec parts car.

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Silver
Country flag
Not quite sure that I would spend the money to have one imported, when the slugs are plentiful in the states?

Grady

Country flag
I assume it a 'wrong side' drive. Are you going to covert to LHD? And as mentioned above, for the the trouble why not a V-8? They are giving them away in the UK (or so it seems). Grady

OP
J

js43lotus

Freshman Member
Grady:
No, I don't plan to convert to LHD. I have 4 Lotus cars and all are RHD. You get used to it. It is likely an overstatement to say that Tasmin owners in the UK are giving them away. I watched the sites for about 6 months and most 86 or older units were selling for 4-5K pounds. I picked mine up for half that, but had to settle for the V6. If it turns out to be a bad choice, it won't be my first.

OP
J

js43lotus

Freshman Member
Jesse:
I would like to continue a discussion with you about Tasmin's offline. Please let me know how to contact you directly.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Jerry. How'd a Lotusphile sneak in here without me seein' ya?!? :jester:

Welcome aboard. I came from the left side of PA. Steel Cities Region. Had to miss the PGH event but there in spirit.

Again: Welcome! And don't ignore this forum, you may even find it to be one of the best on the 'net.

OP
J

js43lotus

Freshman Member
DrEntropy:

Went to the PVGP (Pittsburgh) this weekend. Lots of British cars. Less Lotus representation than I expected. Disappointed, only one Tasmin 280i FHC and a couple 2500's.

Grady

Country flag
I didn't mean it was a bad choice. The RHD drive is fine; I was just asking. (Although I haven't been following the market closely, it seems prices are pretty low - in pounds anyway.)

You will find I have a slightly jaded attitude since no one here will work on LBCs with a German engine (that I've found anyway), so a good opportunity to be a DIY-er. Maybe better on the East Coast.

And I did get to sit in a burbling 450 and grin like a fool but as was raining, Harris wouldn't let me take it out. (If I had, I probably would have sold the kid and Tony wouldn't have his car.)

Grady