• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

How do you answer this?

dougstr6

Whats your answer if asked this question by a british car wannabe:

Which Triumph would you buy thats the best balance of these three things?

-Ease of maintenance

-Investment potential

-Practical for regular use

After 26 years with a TR6 I'm a little biased and need some perspective of others when answering this!

Cheers,

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
Opinions are free:

I like the TR3 because there is nothing else that looks like it. Ugly enough to be cute. And the value has increase. But it does not have the extras a TR6 has. Nor does it have a lot of speed, but you can't sit much lower so it feels like you go real fast. It also has at least 25% fewer parts than a TR6. easier to work on.

Jerry

HerronScott

Darth Vader
Doug,

As much as I love my TR4A's and would personally prefer them, I would agree with you and qualify that to be an early TR6 with the fewest amount of emission controls. Back in my youth, my friend had a restored 1969 TR6 and when compared to my 1966 TR4A, it had enough small refinements that I think would make it more attractive to someone who's never owned British cars before (better soft-top seals around the door window for example).

Scott

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I have doubts that the TR3 has as much investment potential as other models -- they will always be sought after but just don't think they are under-valued now by any means.

I also doubt that TR3s are 'Practical for regular use' though I do use mine regularly. But I live in year-round sunshine and almost never see rain.

Having now run-down my favorite car -- I would suggest a TR4 or solid axle TR4A for the 3 criteria you mention. Has the ease of maintenance of the TR3 (possibly easier) -- still show up as reasonably priced good examples -- can be driven anywhere/anytime so long as you do not need air conditioning.

But then, I too am biased to the 4-cylinder cars -- a strong case can certainly be made for the TR6.

A Spitfire (IMO) can be a real bargain for LBC fun but it seems like they refuse to appreciate like the bigger Triumphs.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Jerry said:
Opinions are free:
And worth everything they cost !

IMO the TR3 excels in every category except the last one, some folks object to the lack of creature comforts. But having driven one to work more often than not for the past 27 years, I'd have to say they are reasonably practical as long as you don't mind getting wet when it rains. (Rarely a problem for me, as "It never rains in southern California".)

Performance-wise, the entire TR2-7 line is too close to really argue about. The 6-cylinder lumps have more displacement, but they are also heavier, put in bigger, heavier cars, laden with smog equipment and very hard to keep together at 6000 rpm. And with a simple drop-in kit, the TR2-4 motor can be taken up to 2.3 liters, closing the gap considerably.

OP
D

dougstr6

Thanks guys,

When you become used to the quirks of a particular car its easy to jump back from different cars at the first word of an issue with that model.

The electrics on a TR8 scare me and they always seem to be just off centre as the next great investment.

TR3's have gobs of character but I have a hard time convincing my wife to keep her window down in my 6, so I'd expect trips in a 3 would be solo for me!

Never been in a TR4 so I've no idea how they ride & when your used to a 6, I'm not sure how well the old 4 banger would compare.

The TR6 seems to dominate the spare parts supply biz, so thats a definate advantage.

I think Spits are too plentiful to have hope as an investment.

Cheers,

dklawson

Yoda
dougstr6 said:
Thanks guys,
I think Spits are too plentiful to have hope as an investment.

You would certainly think Spits are too plentiful. However, their value is increasing (perhaps too fast). They certainly are easy to work on with readily available parts. I would endorse them as a good learning investment before moving on to a bigger and more expensive TR.

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
I agree with Geo. For me it's either a TR4 or 4A.

I like TR3s, and they blazed the trail like none other, and I may one day consider one, but I'd lean toward a TR4 or 4A.

Going a step further, because I'd like to see IRS 4As survive into the next decades, I'd recommend that one too, but be willing to restore that rear diff mount with any of the quality bracing kits from Moss or Revington, or just make your own.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Being an owner of a TR6 and an 8 and being a big fan of the 3 and 4, I would say go with the TR8, but keep it simple with a 4bbl carb.

G

dougstr6 said:
Whats your answer if asked this question by a british car wannabe:

Which Triumph would you buy thats the best balance of these three things?

-Ease of maintenance

-Investment potential

-Practical for regular use

After 26 years with a TR6 I'm a little biased and need some perspective of others when answering this!

Cheers,

Any Hot Wheels model...

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
I can't think of any British car that meets those criteria...I think you need to change the criteria to style, class, and fun!

Country flag
CoughMGBCough.... :laugh:

<crawls back into his hole behind the rock under the bridge down by the river> :jester:

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Silverghost said:
:hammer: :hammer: CoughMGBCough.... :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :laugh:

<crawls back into his hole behind the rock under the bridge down by the river> :jester:

smaceng

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Just 2 years ago having exchanged my tricked out sunburst Miata for an empty Bugeye tub, I undestand how the Miata was what we all WANTED the british cars to be, but they are not. I wanted to take a step backwards, not all the way to the beginning of british cars, like a TC or TD, but partway to the BE. To me it is that raw engine, primitive suspension and outstanding beauty of the BE which is my romance. If we want it practical, buy the Miata, but that is NOT what the LBCs are about.
Pick the car which excites you, that is the one to enjoy!
Cheers,
Scott in CA

Attachments

• 25699.jpg
    25699.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 387
M

Member 10617

I don't think the TR3 meets any of your three categories (except, perhaps, ease of maintenance), but I believe it is the most "classic," best looking, and most enjoyable Triumph to drive.

Don't take my word for this. Drive one for a little while and you will find that you cannot go anywhere without someone coming up to you and saying that it is the "coolest" car they have ever seen.

As for investment potential, perhaps there is something to be said here. Not long ago, you could purchase a really nice TR3 for around $15,000... Now really nice quality TR3s seem to be going for around $34,000. Is there more upside. Don't know, and frankly don't care. Probably not for a decade or so.

jdubois

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
dklawson said:
You would certainly think Spits are too plentiful. However, their value is increasing (perhaps too fast). They certainly are easy to work on with readily available parts. <span style="font-style: italic">I would endorse them as a good learning investment before moving on to a bigger and more expensive TR.</span>

I tried that. Went from Spit to TR3... then ended up buying another Spit again. Hard to get a Spit out of your system
grin.gif