• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

British Racing Green paint code

shorn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Does anyone know either a PPG or Dupont formula code for dark British Racing Green (GN29) used on the BJ8s? PPG Company has the older GN 25 in their data banks, but not apparently the darker shade.

Mac

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Shorn, Dark green is GN.12 I believe however the PPG code (old ICI code, PPG bought them out in 99) for GN.29 is: 9767. Hope this helps. mac

Ed Daves

Freshman Member
The Green on the Healey's are so nice, mine is British Racing Green a sort of dark green. I also have some Original Wire Wheels and Tires that I will sell real Cheap if you want them. Call me at Edvette62@yahoo.com. or call me at 408-377-4865 , they are original Wire Wheels and the Tires are pretty old too.

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
Shorn, referring to my "Austin Healey guide to Historic color book" by Donald Pikovnik from the "VCR" Vintage Colour Register, the BRG-GN.29, ICI code 9767 aka "BRG-dark" should still be available. When I had my car painted I took the book into the paint shop and the technician did a really good paint match based on that information. You could purchase this book (great for club use) by writing "Coloramic Process, Inc. 2883 Industrial Park Drive, Austinburg, OH 44010, USA. I believe the cost was about $35 US.

OP
S

shorn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
This has been interesting. PPG responded to me that the original PPG number for Healey code GN 29 was 43217, although they say the code is obsolete. However, further research contradicts that. www.minimania.com site shows that Ditzler/PPG number 43217 was for the 1963 BRG (the more yellow color). The MG color guide at www.teglerizer.com/mgcolors site shows dark BRG GN29 has an ICI # 9767 & a Ditz # 46446, DUP 8194. The autocolorlibrary.com site shows a Ditzler # 43217 as the lighter BRG, but they have different # 43342 for the darker shade. I am beginning to think that our friend Mr. LUCAS, when not busy fouling up our electrical systems, must have got into the car painting business. He was probably mixing some BRG paint one day and accidently dumped an extra pint of yellow into the BRG batch, making GN 25. Never able to duplicate that color again, he just left the extra yellow out of BRG starting in 1964. I am planning to use PPG paint, so I hope they can find the right mix for ICI 9767, as that is what I will go with.
Personally I prefer the lighter shade, but want to repaint the car to the correct shade of GN 29. However, if I become even more confused over the color shades than I already am, my Healey may turn out Ferrari red.

John Loftus

Darth Vader
[ QUOTE ]
You could purchase this book (great for club use) by writing "Coloramic Process, Inc. 2883 Industrial Park Drive, Austinburg, OH 44010, USA. I believe the cost was about $35 US.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately it is no longer in print. I spoke to Don Pikovnik about 6 months ago and He didn't know if they would do a reprint. There is some information at their website including an Austin Healey color list and contact info for ICI customer service.
https://www.coloramic.com/britcars.htm

Cheers,
John

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Shorn, just curios if you prefer the lighter BRG color why are you painting your car to GN29????----Keoke /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

OP
S

shorn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Keoke, It is a 64 BJ8 and the correct color is the dark British Racing Green (GN 29). It had been previously repainted to the lighter shade, but I would rather it be original. I believe the lighter shade was only used on 63 BJ7's, although after trying to figure this color thing out, I wouldn't swear to it, just swear at it. While I am thinking about it, I am changing a door mirror (badly pitted) that has attached right at the forward edge of the door for a new mirror(s). Anyone care to recommend either the wing mirrors or the door bullet mirror. I like the look of the wing mirrors, but I imagine they would be in the way when working on the engine and they might always get bumped out of adjustment. Just wondering????

MotorHead67

Jedi Hopeful
FWIW- I've driven cars with both types of mirrors. I like the look of the wing mirrors better but I find the bullet mirror easier to use.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Shorn, I have the conventional wing mirrors on one car while the other one has factory installed Talbot bullet mirrors on its wings.The bullet mirrors are the best.Once you set them they stay put even while putting the car cover on or taking it off.The others are always skewed and will alter their position when at speed. Working on my cars does not seem to be compromised by either type mirror.--FWIW---Keoke

OP
S

shorn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Keoke, approximately where are the bullet mirrors on the wings? directly above the wheels or closer to the windshield. I am leaning toward the bullet mirror, but don't know yet whether I will mount one on the door or two on the wings & where?

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Shorn, I just happened to be fiddeling around the car today, The mirrors are located just about in line with the front of the engine block on the wings. Also there are a set of wing mirrors available that have spring loaded mounts and large positive detents which allow the mirrors to be set in the proper driving position and stowed when not needed.They can also be positioned out of the way to improve engine compartment access if require. These mirrors hold their positions and allow the fitment of different shaped mirror heads.XK's unlimited has them in their parts inventory.They are standard on the Daimler Saloons.--FWIW---Keoke

More accurately, The mirror's mounting holes are located; 18" back from the front edge of the fender and 1" away from the brite work bead.---Keoke