• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Tire size for 5.5x15 alloy racing wheels? TR3

karls59tr

Obi Wan
Bronze
Country flag
I have 650x15" tires on stock rims now. Can I put these tires on 5.5 X15" rims or will they rub the inner fender at full lock? Would I be further ahead with 180 or 195 X 15" tires Are they a lower profile? Wonder what would be ideal for the alloys on a "3" ?

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
There is more involved than just wheel width; the offset is important too. But since I can squeak by with 205/55 tires on 5.5" TR6 rims under my stock TR3 body, I don't think you're likely to have a problem with the width of 6.50's. I do question how old they are, though, unless you bought reproductions from Coker or similar.

Practically all modern tires are lower profile than the old bias-ply tires were. The profile is identified by the second number, which is (roughly) the sidewall height expressed as a percentage of the tread width. So, for example, a 185/65 tire will have a side height of 185 * .65 = 120mm.

185/65-15 tires are very slightly shorter than the stock bias ply tires, but the speedo error is only about 4%, or 2.5 mph @ 70 mph. A good choice, IMO, and a perfect fit for 5.5" rims. I actually tried some once, mounted on the original 4.5" rims, and they worked out well for me.

OP
K

karls59tr

Obi Wan
Bronze
Country flag
Thanks Randall. I shoudn't have any probem finding 185/65X 15 tires I dont think but I havent checked yet. Do they fill the wheel well enough so there is not a lot of gap showing?

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
They should, although honestly I didn't pay much attention at the time. I mostly remember what seemed like a big improvement in cornering ability!

My 205/55s are deliberately much shorter than stock, and the look still doesn't bother me, although some probably don't like it:

DSCF0012.jpg

If I recall correctly, this shot was taken with 195/50 on the front and 195/60 on the rear.

P3170007compress.jpg

60TR3A

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I have 195/65/15 tires on 5.5"-width alloys on my '61 TR3A and at full lock they do rub the inside of the wheel well. I've just ordered a set of 5.5" chrome 72-spoke wire wheels from a UK vendor and also ordered 1/4" spacers from Moss Motors which I hope will push the wheels just enough outboard that they won't rub the outer side of the wells and will stop the inside well-rubbing at full lock. If it only rubs at full lock - which is at very slow speeds, anyway - I can live with that.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
61TR3A said:
I have 195/65/15 tires on 5.5"-width alloys on my '61 TR3A and at full lock they do rub the inside of the wheel well.
Are your steering stops adjusted correctly?

60TR3A

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
TR3driver said:
61TR3A said:
I have 195/65/15 tires on 5.5"-width alloys on my '61 TR3A and at full lock they do rub the inside of the wheel well.
Are your steering stops adjusted correctly?

I haven't a clue. I've had the car all of 3 weeks and my mechanic will be getting it all of next week to go over all the systems and correct what needs correcting and install some goodies I bought. I suspect my steering needs some attention as it is very stiff and may need new lube &/or the rack rebuilt. I'll mention the rubbing to him when I drop her off on Monday.

I've learned over the years that I am very handy - at writing checks and signing credit card slips - but not at things mechanical. The list of my foolish mistakes is endless. Even today I screwed up a simple thing as a badge: Had a lovely RAC replica badge I was going to install on the badge bar and overtightened the screw and popped off the little nut that's brazed onto the back of the badge. I'll see if I can buy some "liquid solder" as someone I know suggested; otherwise, it's toast.