• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A 1966 TR4a , outer tie rod question

Rrbbeerrttoo

Banned
The senior alignment tech in a reputable garage ($ 80 for alignments )tells me my car has not enough tie rods thread adjustement to align/parallel front wheels.
After removing the rack and pinion during the Alternator conversion I installed new Moss outer tie rods. These are 1/8 in. longer than my old ones..or 3 inch from threaded end to pin center line. I followed the manual, including measuring and approximately everything matched the 43.42in given, overall dimension for rack plus tie rods end to end.
Could I have made a mistake with the rack installation, Never did before, and seems simple enough!
Possible Solutions:
1. could blame the longer tie rod and cut off 1/8 in.
2. could buy 2-7/8 inch unit from Roadster Factory again
3. could go to another alignment shop
4. Wait for thoughts from the experienced forum members?

Thanks for any ideas.

By the way, when I took the rods off there were no more than two threads visible

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Or try checking the alignment yourself. Just a tape measure will tell you if it's in the ballpark.

Or what I did was mark a line on the face of the tread and use a simple wooden "caliper" to compare distances at the front & rear centerlines.
https://s258.photobucket.com/albums/hh260...etoe-intool.jpg

OP
R

Rrbbeerrttoo

Banned
I removed the new tie rod and each measures almost 3-1/4 in lenght, contrary to what Moss said was 3 inch. Now I am certain my problem is the tie rod, about 3/8 inch longer than my old ones.
Most surprising is what Moss said: " they have not had any complaints. I still like to hear back from the forum.

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
I have so much room for adjustment on my '66 TR4A, with Moss tie rods, that I just can't imagine the problem is a 1/8 inch length issue in manufacture.

I doubt installation of the rack could be the problem since the rack's length is what it is--assuming that is correct.

How did you get it together and to the shop to align if the adjustment couldn't be made?

I use a Moss alignment bar and I get it pretty darn close.

I'll be interested in your conclusion here, but the first question I have--assuming you got it together well enough to drive--is whether your alignment guy is really correct.

CinneaghTR

Jedi Warrior
Did you put the new tie rods back on in the same general location as the old ones? Also, did you take the tech your shop manual with the specs for the alignment?

You might want to find an LBC-friendly alignment shop just to see what they say since they would have done it before. Or get your local club involved.

Good luck.

OP
R

Rrbbeerrttoo

Banned
Tr3driver, KVH, CinneaghTr, thanks for your comments.

I removed the new tie rods The Moss rod is 3.0 in...just what Moss said. My old one is 2-7/8 bought from Roaster Factory in 1998.

1. I reinstalled everything per the manual and in the same general location as when I removed them..especially the tie rods. Before reinstalling , and on a flat surface, I measured the full rack and pinion , from tie rod pivot point to tie rod..it was approximatelt 43.5-43.75 , maybe a bit off using beat up old ruler.
2. the car drove perfectly to the shop..although leaving the shop the car pulls to the left. Tech claimed he did nothing to cause the pulling left. Of course I saw him adjusting tie rods...he will look Monday for the pulling left.
3.I brought the manual to the shop. The old tech looked at it for a minute and said " nothing unusual, I can do it"
4. I never tore open the rack, but did remove it for my alternator conversion project..belt interference. As someone said, rack it is what it is, dimension wise.
5. No , originally no more than two extra threads were visible by the lock nut on the rack rod, so 1/8 in ( 2.5 threads in a 1/2 by 20 bolt )extra per wheel could be a factor..or could it!
5. Now to build the wooden alignment template .

Will report back as news develop. Thanks again.

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
It makes me wonder if you have a bent tie rod lever, or if you are missing a spacer. I've never seen a rack with only a few threads left at the tie rods. Mine have been more like 1/2 inch, but others here probably have seen a greater variety.

OP
R

Rrbbeerrttoo

Banned
To correct the tie rod alignment problem alledged by a garage tech claim that there was not enough adjustment, I cut off 1/8 off the tie-rods bought from Moss ( instead of buying new ones ); this duplicates my original 2-7/8 in.tie rods dimension ( hope I did not weaken these rods) . Then had wheels realigned at another garage after using the recommended wooden alignment template. The car is running well. It even has the two extra adjustment threads the rack outer tie-rod originally had. Yes, the rack components are all there and in perfect condition. Ummmh, could some Tr4a be slightly different!!
Good news for the wooden template..the new garage tech said I could have driven the car w/o further realignment of the wheels.