• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Sad Experience - Happy Ending

ralph_s

Jedi Trainee
Well I need to "vent" to the group about a recent e*ay experience. After wrestling w/ the decision to sell my 1977 2500M, I listed it on the aformentioned site. The auction went well and I was content w/ the pice, but was second guessing my decision. It turned out the winning bidder was a scam/fraud artist and she had no intention of buying the car, but takes great sport in spoiling auctions. For the life of me I can't understand why someone would do that. So now I'm stuck w/ filing complaints w/ e*** and voiding the sale. What a PITA!! But the good news is I still have my TVR and take it as a sign to keep the car. If you want to know the buyers name, drop me a PM and I'll gladly forward her name.

TRclassic3

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Ralph

Sorry to hear you got hit with a deadbeat. Sadly it is apparantly not an uncommon problem. I'm sure you left some apprpriate feedback.

But yes, let's look on the happy side. You still have the car. Have you actually decided to keep it or will you relist?

Brinkerhoff

Jedi Knight
Ralph , I've quit counting how many times this has happened to me. Best to just smile and move on. File an nonpaying buyer claim with ebay to get a credit or they will charge you as if a sale happened. The good news is that sometimes they push the price higher than you'll sell it to the next highest bidder for. Kevin

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
I thought that was your car...almost mailed you to say that you are crazy to sell it. There is no other vehicle that can put a bigger smile on your face for the sort of money a TVR costs!

OP
R

ralph_s

Jedi Trainee
Appreciate the feedback. Did all the filing and reported the buyer. Suspect nothing will happen to her. I was wrestling w/ the decision to sell and will keep her. It's a wonderful car w/ great history. Even located the fellow who owned the dealership that originally sold the car. Great history. Need to cut something loose so I think the 70 BGT will go.
Ed, see you in Gettysburg.

EricG

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
PM sent for "buyers" name so I can add it to my blocked bidders list!
Sorry you went through this-seems like the seller has less and less protecting him anymore. Eric

BRSLimited

Jedi Trainee
Sellers can't even leave negative feedback anymore. I've had exactly the same thing happen to me several times. What a PITA it is.

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
EricG said:
PM sent for "buyers" name so I can add it to my blocked bidders list!
Sorry you went through this-seems like the seller has less and less protecting him anymore. Eric

Unfortunately blocking won't help. These people just make a new identity and start again. I knew one person who had over 40.

g1enterprises

Freshman Member
Never ceases to amaze me how many people are out there who seamingly exist just to be a PITA for others. I nearly fell for the opposite scam a few years back: just about purchased a vehicle off of e*ay that ended up being a complete scam, it was VERY convincing up to the point where the money was going to exchange hands. That's not to say online sales can't be trusted because I have dealt with many legit purchases since. Sometimes you just get that gut feeling something's amiss.

OP
R

ralph_s

Jedi Trainee
Now I'm convinced I made the right decision to keep the car. Went to a show in my hometown of Fleetwood, PA on Sunday. Mostly hot rods and muscle cars, but at registration the guy say's "wow a TVR, glad you came to show your car". He rememberd them from the past and was excited to see one up close and personal. Lots of lookers and questions. And to top it off met a great guy with a Metropolitan, we had a grand time.
Grantura......your right I must have been crazy, what was I thinking!!
Thank god my scam artist saved me from myself. Hey maybe she's a mind reader, if so she knows what I'm thinking.......

tvr4me

Country flag
Ralph, I know how you feel. Every now and then I think about selling my 1977 2500M but I don't because I think of all the very interesting, and sometimes famous, car people I have met because of the TVR. It's also a blast to drive.

Cheers, Ian