• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

car fax

65sprite

Before I plunk down $30.00 on my credit card for some research on 2 cars...can anyone that has used the service tell me if they provide info regarding:

Original purchase price
Dealership purchased from
Date of purchase
Liens or loans
Original title holder and sales/transfers of title

Model, equipment, options, accessories?

I have the vin # for the cars. The cars belong to an estate in litigation and I need a pretty specific history. Both are 2006 year vehicles.

Is car fax the best/cheapest service for this kind of info?

Thanks.

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
65sprite said:
Original purchase price
Dealership purchased from
Date of purchase
Liens or loans
Original title holder and sales/transfers of title

Model, equipment, options, accessories?

I have the vin # for the cars. The cars belong to an estate in litigation and I need a pretty specific history. Both are 2006 year vehicles.

Is car fax the best/cheapest service for this kind of info?

Thanks.

it will list date of first sale and subsequent sales/number of owners and dates of sale/transfer and odometer readings at each event. It will tell you in what state or region the car was sold, but not purchase price, dealer or equipment. It will tell you of any accident damage, recalls, when SMOG certifications were done, airbag deployment and odometer discrepancies; whether the car was leased or purchased and whether purchased by a dealer or private owner. No personal information is contained about the owners.

A Carfax run by a dealer WILL tell you equipment based on VIN number, but not the consumer version.

1974MGMidget

Just how does carfax get their information? If I have a wreck and go to a body shop, do they automatically send data to carfax? Why would they do this?

mightymidget

Jedi Knight
It is not as reliable as they make out.I had a new XB that got hit really hard in the side. Probaly could have totaled if I pushed it. It never showed up on the car fax a year later at trade in.

Normally they get information from the Insurance companies, you know the ones the city and state traffic police work for. So it depends on whether they report it to car fax.

Surly the insurance company would get some sort of money out of it.

donandmax

I tried car fax on my 79 Midget a few years ago with no results because it said "vin number didnt contain enough digits" Looks like they cant trace older English cars because of rhat reason. Just thought I would save you some money before trying
Don

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
If I remember right, the cutoff date was 1980. At some date, anyway, there was a law change requiring a specific amount of info in the VIN. That's the point at which Carfax begins to work.

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
I doubt that Carfax will be of much use for an older car. Yes, last I looked, the cutoff date was 1980. But even for a car barely within cutoff, they almost certainly won't have much on its history.

Best thing is to inspect it yourself carefully, and if you're not confident in doing this, bring someone who can. Be sure to inspect the title, too; this will tell you if there is a loan out on it. As for other liens, I don't know how to check this, but there has to be some way.

MikeP

Jedi Knight
I'd expect that the further back you go towards 1980, before the creation of Carfax, the less likely it is the data will be there/accurate. Consider, what's the incentive to fill in the back data data from a time before it was tracked??

Scott_Hower

Luke Skywalker
The OP is looking for info on 2006 vehicles.

Save your money, car fax isn't going to give you the detail you are seeking. It will tell you when it was initially titled and subsequent transfers, and perhaps some repairs. That's about it.

Prob need to subpeona state DMV records if you want more.

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
I am not seeing how carfax is going to know of any accidents or damage. If accidents are not bad enough to involve insurance or cops, like a lot of them, I am just not seeing this as accurate. You back into a post, you or your body man fixes it, how is carfax to know?

OP

65sprite

Scott_Hower said:
<span style="color: #FFFF99">The OP is looking for info on 2006 vehicles.
</span>
Save your money, car fax isn't going to give you the detail you are seeking. It will tell you when it was initially titled and subsequent transfers, and perhaps some repairs. That's about it.

Prob need to subpeona state DMV records if you want more.

Thanks for actually reading the post. I have independent administrative powers on the estate, so requesting DMV records may be an excellent suggestion. Any idea how much of the info i need is on the title, or reported to DMV by the dealer when the car is sold as new?
thanks.

D

Deleted member 8987

This discussion sort of reminds me of the cals I used to get to extend my vehicle warranty. Got tired of telling them "no", so one day I said, "sure!".
They wanted the VIN......so I gave them my VIN....started with BORH...."What kind of number is that?"
For my 1950 Ford.

Click.

And haven't had another call in what, three years.

But on accidents with CarFax, the litle ones you don't worry about.
Cut and splice, you do.
Title brands (salvage, flood vehicle, that kind of stuff) you want to know about.
I have heard tell some folks "wash" titles in specific states that don't use title branding, then re-title with the clean one in their state and sell it.