• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Considering an Esprit

ralph_s

Jedi Trainee
Never ventured into Lotus land, but have a strong interest in an Esprit. Any suggestions as to what to look for & avoid would be appreciated e.g. models/years/etc.. Also general thoughts on the car would be welcome.
Thanks

Viper

Freshman Member
Have had 2 Esprits. 1990 4 cylinder single turbo and 1999 V8 twin turbo. Night and day difference. No power steering on early cars - pain in the ass - car is too big and heavy not to have it (have also had 2 Europas - light car - don't need power steering). With 4 cyl. RPM's have to build before turbo comes on. With V8 turbo pulls at 1800 RPM. Much more refined car all around. Ron.

Viper

Freshman Member
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]Viper ,Interesting by line
[/QUOTE]

I find Cuban history fascinating. Would have loved to have met Che Guevara but the saying fits anything in life:
"Ever onward to victory!"

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
My older bro had his poster on our bedroom wall, drove my parents crazy.
A guy I hire occasionally to help me just spent 4 weeks there last winter. Funny stories of the place and the way they practice medicine

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
The craigslist car is now on e-bay, I have no interest/haven't seen it, but it is relatively close to me and looks like a nice car someone interested in acquiring one of these might be interested in. I don't really even have an idea if the price is high, low or whatever.

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
https://www.espritfactfile.com/indexs.html

I have been looking at these, too. You might have seen the item about Esprits in a recent issue of <span style="font-style: italic">Classic Motorsports</span>. They seem to come up regularly on Ebay. I think it would be suicidal to buy one sight unseen, and I'm nowhere near the point I'd trust myself to evaluate one. Maybe I should stick with Spridgets.

OP
R

ralph_s

Jedi Trainee
Lots come up on ebay w/ prices all over the place. I need to do some more research as I've heard both good and bad about the car. But then that's true of most cars. I agree, would not buy one w/o a test drive and a 2nd opinion. I did sit in one at a car show and it was as tight a fit as my TVR, was kinda disappointed.
But with all that said, they are one good lookin' car!!

Viper

Freshman Member
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:] I did sit in one at a car show and it was as tight a fit as my TVR, was kinda disappointed.[/QUOTE]

Not to be rude, but are you large? I am 5'9" 170 lbs and I found both of my Esprits to be too large inside. I like a close fitting sports car like Europas and my Marcos Mantula. One of the reasons I sold my Esprits was the "loose" fit. Also for a great handling car the seats have no lateral support. Attended track days with my V8 TT and slid back and forth pretty good in the stock seats.

Ron.

OP
R

ralph_s

Jedi Trainee
I'm 6'2" and it's more an issue of gas/brake pedal clearance. I'm OK w/ the wrap around feeling, but need to get a clear shot at the brake. My TVR has very close pedals and I suspect the Esprit is similar.
I'm interested in maintenamce/design issues w/ the car but haven't seen much comemnt.