• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Kit Car or not

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag

Attachments

• 25191.jpg
    25191.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 420
D

Deleted member 8987

The heritage of the donor is obvious, even from this angle.

Country flag
That one's not half bad for what it is......but at the end of the day it'd still Bug me it wasn't real. :smile:

Roger

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
If you're going to build a Bugatti lookalike, for heaven's sake why not on a decent chassis, not a Beetle?

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
As far as I can tell, their are only two "good" Bugatti T35 replicas.

~Pur Sang~, a company is Argentina builds what looks like an exact replica: they build their own inline eight engine, hollow axle, the works.

Tim Dutton also builds a pretty good copy in England.

The Pur Sang is about $250,000

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
One of the best VW based kits I've ever seen. most look like some horrid morphed fiberglass speedboat, or one of those rides in front of K Mart that somebody ripped off the base. For the price, I'd be happy to have that car. old car looks, and the availability of beetle parts.

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Banjo said:
One of the best VW based kits I've ever seen. most look like some horrid morphed fiberglass speedboat, or one of those rides in front of K Mart that somebody ripped off the base. For the price, I'd be happy to have that car. old car looks, and the availability of beetle parts.

Pretty much my point exactly - price is cheaper than you could do yourself and even though I'd dream about dropping it on a spitfire or TR4 frame, I still think it would just be fun as is. Now if you combined it with a super 7....

78Z

Darth Vader
Country flag
I think that distinctive VW engine noise would be a big turn off. Still I bet its a pile of fun to drive.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I bet that would be fun.

I've no problems with replicas/kits, but I'm less of a fan when the engine isn't in the right spot. Something like that car but done up on a Spitfire/Herald chassis would seem to fit better.

TRMark

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
A friend had a VW powered 30's Alfa replica in his shop, nothing seemed to fit right, I particularly did not like the lumps in the glass to simulate rivets, well, that and the small dia. tires made it look somewhat goofy. With the engine hanging our the back and ones behind right in front of axle, I would think it would not turn on a slick road. I am sure the fiberglass could be used as the start of something decent, the VW bit doesn't do anything for me. But then again I am in a bad mood, have a deck half done, it is raining and I have to leave town on business for a week. The only good thing is I am not flying.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
I used to like Beetles; in fact I still do (the original ones, anyway). Beyond that, the occasional Meyers Manx or possibly a Fiberfab Jamaican conversion, I'm not really a fan of any "replica" built on the old Beetle pan. To me, the worst one of all was the MG-TD replica; again, though, I've always been a big fan of the original! :wink:

Simple enough to explain: we had Triumphs in the family from the time I was five years old. In high school, several of my best friends had Beetles, and two other best friends had TDs!

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
actually do love vw products though generally not VW based kit cars - do like the proportions of this one though, better than most.

DART

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Recently gave a daughter our Mustang Mk2 based Gazelle kit car. I "think" the dimensions were the same as the VW frame, but since my now deceased father-in-law had it built I don't know if the Stang donor is an easy option. FWIW

jackq

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Muffle the VW engine till you can't hear it...then record a real engine and blare it through some good speakers....come on guys...it's a toy>>>

billspohn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Most of these kits are truly horrid creations that rattle and crack and fail to handle, or brake, or a combination.

It is very hard to create an inexpensive kit car that results in an end product with any quality at all, and none of the VW based ones I've seen have ever come close.

The best of the lot (and the one I own) is the Fiberfab Jamaican, and the quality is there because of their use of decent weight fiberglass material (no panels flapping in the breeze) and glass and latches etc. from other cars, so that it actually looks like it might be a normal car and the doors close with a thunk.

The sad excuses for real cars continue today with kits like the Lamborghini you can bolt onto your Fiero.....

equiprx

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
billspohn said:
Most of these kits are truly horrid creations that rattle and crack and fail to handle, or brake, or a combination.

The best of the lot (and the one I own) is the Fiberfab Jamaican, and the quality is there because of their use of decent weight fiberglass material (no panels flapping in the breeze) and glass and latches etc. from other cars, so that it actually looks like it might be a normal car and the doors close with a thunk.

Didn't Fiberfab make something called the Aztec GT? I remember seeing one in my neighborhood back in the 60s, and it was close enough to a Ford GT for my young mind back then. All the kids thought it was the coolest car in town and the stories were that it actually had a Porsche engine in it. WOW!! It sure did make a lot of noise, which made it even mo better. Now I have an un-built Jaguar, XK120 sitting in the driveway and not a clue as to how I'm going to build it. Except for the frame being over built, and made to accept a Ford Mustang II engine & drive train, it looks as though it could turn out fairly nice. The layup looks fairly strong.

Tullamore

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
aeronca65t said:
As far as I can tell, their are only two "good" Bugatti T35 replicas.

~Pur Sang~, a company is Argentina builds what looks like an exact replica: they build their own inline eight engine, hollow axle, the works.

Tim Dutton also builds a pretty good copy in England.

The Pur Sang is about $250,000

Great article, I had to stop everything and read the entire thing.

billspohn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
equiprx said:
Didn't Fiberfab make something called the Aztec GT? I remember seeing one in my neighborhood back in the 60s, and it was close enough to a Ford GT for my young mind back then.

It was just another of the nasty VW floor pan based quasi-dune buggy creations, but it didn't look too bad. I always figured that to spend all that time and money and end up with what was nothing more than a car that went and handled like a VW Bug, albeit with snazzier clothes was a bit of a waste.

They went on to do other models in similar form like the Valkyrie.

CZ_Dave

Jedi Warrior
Awww what the heck, lifes a blast with the top down, no matter what you drive!

G

Fiberfab Avenger GT was Mid engine and the Avenger was rear. A guy had both in my hood w/ one being mid engine Olds 455.