• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

1500 Fuel Pump

N233TX

Freshman Member
The engine-driven fuel pump on my '75 Midget seems anemic. Engine runs OK but stumbles when you jab the throttle at lower RPMs. The amount of fuel entering the clear plastic filter upstream of the carb is just a dribble, even at higher RPMs. Shouldn't the pump fill it up at least halfway? Couldn't find a test for the pump in the manual and there is no obvious leakage under it. Looks like it is replace with stock or ???

I have a nice Facet 4.5 PSI pump which I replaced on my plane. Would this be a good in-line, full-time boost? Carb is a Weber with bowl and floats. TIA

Jim
South Texas

dklawson

Yoda
The only way I know to determine pump output is to bring the engine to temperature and make sure the float bowl is full. Stop the engine, disconnect the fuel line at the carb and point it into an empty container. Start the engine and collect the fuel for a measured length of time. Measure the fuel pumped and divide by time to see what your pump is delivering.

With the clear filters it is sometimes hard to see how much is really moving through so I wouldn't get too bothered until you measure the flow.

Facet pumps are certainly OK. I don't know what pressure a Weber likes. The SUs and Strombergs prefer a bit lower (2-3 PSI) and would benefit from a pressure regulator with your Facet. If you decide to install it, remove the mechanical pump and fit a cover plate to the block. Find a way to mount the electric pump low and at the rear. More info on this will be available if you use the search feature for old fuel pump threads by "Big Jones". He did this conversion recently.

bigjones

Jedi Warrior
Bronze
Country flag
Jim,

As Doug mentioned, here is the thread .

I would suggest finding out the pressure required by your Weber and finding a suitable pump. In other words, not installing a regulator - just something else to install/leak/fail.

The only slight problem is you'll have to cut the fuel line as it comes out the tank (to install the pump). I received lots of good advice in the thread and the car is running fine.

Cheers!

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
I have a similar low-pressure facet in my MGB with a Weber DGV (you haven't said if you have a sidedraft or the downdraft DGV). It works fine without a regulator, but the pump is noisy. I'd agree that deleting the mech pump and blanking off is the way to go.

I'm not a fan of the DGV and intend to swap it for proper SU carbs when I get a chance. At which point I'll run a pressure regulator set around 2 to 3 psi.

I'm also running a Facet in my race car (SU carbs) also with a pressure regulator set for 3 psi. If you decide on a regualtor, buy the better Holly unit (they're available at Summit Racing).

By the way, Welcome to British Car Forum!

OP
N

N233TX

Freshman Member
Yessir, it is a downdraft. I plan to fabricate a cover plate for the stock pump and mount the boost pump FWF in an insulated box to hopefully hush it up some. I have a regulator if needed. The fuel flow test seemed inadequate but lacking a benchmark, I'm goin' with the electric pump. Car is light years away from stock.