• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Return of the TR?

G

I just remembered something I read not to long ago in an obscure internet article, that BMW currently owns the rights to the Triumph name? Supposedly they got it in one of the deals for Rover. Anyone know if this is fact or not? The article said that for the last year or so Bimmer had been kicking around the idea of building a new TR model to compete in the same price category as the Mazda Miata. Another iconic British marque in German hands, I wonder how that would be received by the Triumph faithful.

78Z

Darth Vader
Country flag
Personally I don't see it unfortunatly as it would just erode BMW own Z4 roadster.

philman

Jedi Knight
Triumph World had an article on that prospect last year. They didn't that would happen due to the niche that TR's hold. They would directly compete with BMW's market shares.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
I hadn't heard of a new Triumph, but word of a Z8-based big Healey (called the Warwick) has been around for a while:

https://www.myaustinhealey.com/project_warwick.html

warwick_bmw_side.jpg

Bugeye58

Yoda
I too, can't see BMW doing that, as they would be in direct competition with themselves.
But,as muddled as that whole Bimmer situation is, I wouldn't rule anything out.
However, the current BMW's are plagued with electrical problems, they overheat, and, they leak oil. Maybe a segue into a new TR would be a natural progression.
Ka-Ching. $.02
Jeff

OP
G

Really? I don't see a new TR cutting into BMW's niche with the Z4. One of the things I hated about the Z4 when it came out was that it cost so much more than the Z3, so alot of the enthusiasts that could just make it into a Z3 didn't have a prayer of getting into the new car. The proposed new TR would be significantly below the Z4 in price, competing more with the miata in the mid to high 20 thousand dollar range. The 05 Miata starts at $22,600, and the current Z4 at $34,300, so there's quite a bit of room in there to play around. And honestly, if you've got 25 grand in your pocket and you're hot for a new convertible 2 seat sports car, really, what are your choices? The Miata is close to being the only game in town. Sure, there's the Mustang convertible, but it's not a sports car. The Honda S2000 is nice, but it's in the same price class as the BMW, and Toyota is killing off the MR spyder after this year. There's the Mitsu Eclipse spyder, but again, it's not a 2 seater. I think if BMW was smart, they could make it work. Everything else is well into the $30K range. Granted, I don't think they'd be able to build a car as bulletproof as the Miata though, but it would be really cool to see a new TR roaming the streets.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Well whats so wrong with the 350Z??-Keoke

OP
G

[ QUOTE ]
Well whats so wrong with the 350Z??-Keoke

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I couldn't think of every car in that category, I was bound to miss something. Nothing wrong with the 350Z at all, it's a fine car. I've been a big fan of Nissan's Z cars for most of my life, and owned two of them. However, the Z roadster starts at $28.5K, which puts it dangerously close to that $30K threshhold and, IMO, at the very top of the price range of a car like the Miata. However, I'd say that it would still be a competitor to a proposed new TR. Still though, that only gives you two choices for a sub $30K two seat convertible sports car (unless I've forgotten yet another).

OP
V

vagt6

BMW is already well entrenched in the business of successfully resurrecting LBCs in the form of the MINI Cooper. They're selling like hot cakes, and they're great cars. BMW just announced the 500,000th one sold, with long waiting lists for folks who wish to buy a new one.

IF (a very big if, I think!) BMW decided to bring back some kind of retro-look Triumph model, I'd assume they'd use a successful Triumph model for the platform. Maybe the TR-6? How about a nice BMW TR-8 knockoff? Or, a "new" GT6 with glove leather interior, all the trimmings and 200BHP?

The possibilities are endless, and not difficult for a company like BMW. We can only dream, but what a dream it is!

pmenhusen

Jedi Trainee
What about the Spitfire? I think it was Triumph's best looking car, with styling that still looks contemporary today. Build it with the M engine as standard equipment, put on a convertible top that offers good protection against the rain, and price it at $20,000. BMW would sell them as fast as they could make them.

OP
V

vagt6

Agreed. And I'd be one of the first in line at the "BMWumph" dealership!

78Z

Darth Vader
Country flag
I'd love to see something like a new Spitfire. Something without all the frills. I don't need A/C, power windows, etc, etc. Unforuatly all these "extras" are exactly where companies make their money.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
I'd love to see something like a new Spitfire. Something without all the frills. I don't need A/C, power windows, etc, etc. Unforuatly all these "extras" are exactly where companies make their money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately, we're at the mercy of all the marketing "experts" who know better what we want. Forgive my rant, but I recently bought a Toyota Tacoma Double Cab, which I really like, but it's not what I wanted - not exactly. I wanted a manual transmission, but was told that their research told them that if someone is going to spend a certain amount of money, they expect an automatic transmission. I told them that was not my expectation, but no matter. They said that it MIGHT be offered at a later date, but not now. It's in all the other Tacoma models, but not the Double Cab. So, unless there are enough voices out there to make it worth their while, car makers are going to offer what they think they can sell the most.

Mickey

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
Guys,
The insider info (which actually became "outside" info a year or so ago) was that BMW was toying with bringing out an entry-level ragtop called the "Sprite." They, however, decided on sticking to their number system.

BMW has absolutely no plans to ever use the Triumph name again. From a pure marketing standpoint, Triumph evokes too little positive name recognition. The majority of people who remember the name associate it with the TR7, which was widely considered ugly, slow and unreliable -- unfairly associated, but that's what marketing people have to go on.

Don't count on a TR anytime in the next decade.

Of course, us Triumph fans can band together and buy the name from BMW!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Guys,
BMW has absolutely no plans to ever use the Triumph name again. From a pure marketing standpoint, Triumph evokes too little positive name recognition. The majority of people who remember the name associate it with the TR7, which was widely considered ugly, slow and unreliable -- unfairly associated, but that's what marketing people have to go on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Too little positive name recognition?? Again with the marketing people! Makes you wonder whom they're asking in these polls. For my money, when you're talking Triumph, as in British sports cars, you're talking about not only the TR7, but much more the TR3 and 4, and the Spitfire.

Think I'll go take my blood pressure medicine...

Mickey

PC

Obi Wan
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
...Unfortunately, we're at the mercy of all the marketing "experts" who know better what we want. ...

[/ QUOTE ]The marketing "experts" couldn't care less what we want. We being gearhead LBC enthusiasts.

They know they'd have to sell a bunch of them to make it worth bothering and to sell a bunch they would have to appeal to a reasonable percentage of the general public. The fact that MX5's direct competitors in the reasonably priced little two seater convertible market like the Capri and MR2 have come and gone with barely a blip on their makers' balance sheets doesn't bode well for a Triumphant return.

I agree that that the Z4 appeals to different customers than would a new TR. The MINI convertible on the other hand...

PC.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I personally would love to see a new Spitfire made by BMW. Something with clean lines much more Z3esque then Z4ish, and a nice nod or two to the original Spitfire 4. Alas the likelyhood of this ever happening is nil.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
I'm repeating myself from a similar comments made a while back, but since some of you have commented about entry-level sports cars, I'll kick in two that I really like: The Suzuki Cappuccino and the FIAT Barchetta. Sadly, neither is available her in the U.S. Both are a bit cheaper than the MX-5 Miata (I still think that Miatas are the best deal going in entry level sports cars).

The Suzuki Cappuccino
lyndon.jpg

FIAT Barchetta
front2.jpg

Also, an Indian company tried to work out a deal to make a new "MG Midget" based on a TATA Avia. The car was fairly smart looking, but the deal fell through (which may be just as well since engineering was reported to be pretty shabby).

Proposed "New Midget"
https://www.tiscali.co.za/motoring/xaura.image?content=102978&fieldtype=102487&index=0

Speaking of smart looking, the Smart Roadsteer is a keen little entry level sports car (in my view). Since Smarts are coming to the U.S., I guess it's possible that these might make it stateside as well.

Smart Roadster
https://www.e-kolay.net/arabam/fuar/2002/paris/mmc_smart_roadster_xx.jpg

rulle7

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Not sure about the Barchetta, but the Cappuccino and it's competitor Honda Beat have not been made for many years.
The Suzuki Cappuccino and the Honda Beat both came out in the very early 90:s and are still seen often on the roads here in Tokyo. Great little machines! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

OP
G

Why is it all these cool little cars that exist elsewhere in the world never seem to make it to the US? I can't believe it's taken this long to get the Lotus Elise here, what a fantastic car! How many other fantastic cars are out there that we will, sadly, never get to enjoy here in SUV-land?