• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

need advice -- what car to get?

sbieg

Freshman Member
Hello all,

This is my first post -- greetings from Cape Cod, MA!!!

I've decided to buy myself a toy next year, in the spring. I want a british sports car. In the past, long ago, I owned a mint 1969 GT6+ (my first car) and later a 1972 MGB (a wreck I rebuilt and sold).

The cars I'm seriously considering are:
1966 - 1968 Spitfire
1967 - 1969 GT+
pre 1974 TR6
any TR4A with a solid body

I don't want to spend much more than $3500 for the base car, and I'm more than willing to put work into my new toy. I'm moderately handicapped, but can handle most jobs, just a little slower than most. I also have what may be the best bodyshop on Earth available, with the manager as my good friend. They recently rebuilt a Sunbeam Alpine in classic British Green -- this gave me the bug to get my own ---- again. I currently own a mint 1998 Jaguar Vandan Plas LWB as my daily ride. My kids claim I treat the Jaguar better than I do them!!!!!

From this list, what should I get? Thank you.

Scott Bieg

35thbdaytr6

I hunted for almost a year before I found my early 74 TR6. A good, solid TR4, 250 or 6 will be hard to come by for $3500, the Spitfire and GT6 should be attainable. I know of a very solid late 74 TR6 needing restoration for $5k. Good luck, and this Forum is a great place for advice.

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
Scott,
Welcome to the forum! I'm sure there's nothing better than cruising the Cape in a little British car. (When I lived in Boston, I was dependent on the T.)

Here's the thing, for the cars you mentioned, it will always cost less to buy someone else's restoration than to do it yourself. You can buy a good, solid TR6 in great running and good looking condition for $5,500. OR you can buy a disaster for $2750 and easily spend $5000 getting it to the level of the $5,500 car.

As for Spits and GT6s, it's even more painful, because pretty much anything you do to the car gets you behind in resale value.

So the age-old statement "buy the best car you can afford" is particularly true for the cars you mentioned.

I would look for cars that need lots of tinkering (like they've been off the road for years, but ran when their owners lost interest.) Going through brakes and carbs are cheap...body, interior and engine work is expensive.

It sounds also like you're a "pre-safety legislation" guy. Keep in mind that the only people who can tell the difference between a '69 and a '76 TR6 are British car freaks like us. Pretty much all the LBCs were made before any college kids were alive -- so in most minds, all TR6s, TR4s, MGBs are "old."

I saw a gorgeous red '80 MGB today for sale for $3995- and you could take this sucker to a show as it sits. While the "enthusiasts" frown on the rubber-bumper cars, they're still very fun, and great bang for the buck! Something to consider.

frankenstang57

Jedi Warrior
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gifI'd go with the Spitfire. They're easiest to find and there are tons of parts available for 'em. My 2 cents... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jayhawk

Jedi Warrior
Welcome-- The advice above sounds good for the money you want to invest-- you can get a good B or a Spitfire for that amount or you can get one even cheaper that needs some TLC and tailor it to your wishes.

G

[ QUOTE ]
OR you can buy a disaster for $2750 and easily spend $5000 getting it to the level of the $5,500 car.

[/ QUOTE ]

Take Sammy's advise to heart, this was pretty much what I did and, although I love my car, I could have bought one in better shape for far less than what I've spent on mine to date. It's just that it looked so sad and lonesome sitting there, and I couldn't walk away... I'd say if you have to compromise on something, make it mechanicals. Personally I hate bodywork, and I'm no good at it, so I have to take my cars somewhere for most of the panel work, which costs big bucks. For this reason I always look for cars with sound bodies, and if the mechanicals are a mess I can deal with that myself. However, you're saying you have access to a bodyshop and I'm assuming since it's a friends you'll get a good discount, so that solves one major problem area. Beautiful triumphs are still dirt cheap though, these cars have not seen the kind of price increases (yet) that cars like AH's and Jags have. I know a guy who just spent $15K on an absolute basket case early series I E-type. I mean this car was a complete mess, and needed everything, extensive bodywork, engine, trans, all mechanicals, interior, you name it. $15K would buy you a better than showroom new TR6. Granted a TR6 is no E-type (or some would argue /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif), but you get the idea, buy as much car as you can.

I'm partial to the GT6's, love em to death. I'd love to get one as my second Triumph. There are some fantastic looking GT6's on Ebay all the time for very little money. Just gotta be careful with cars on Ebay, and try contacting someone on this board who might live near the car. Maybe they could help you out and check the car over for you. Always a good idea to have a pair of unbiased eyes on it for you. I think there was a thread for this kind of thing just recently, people volunteering in their areas.

V

vagt6

Scott, good choices. And best of luck to you no matter what car you choose!

In my experience, the Spitfire is hard to beat. It's relatively inexpensive, has classic styling, is easy to repair and/or modify to your liking, and parts are readily available.

The key item here is price. You should be able to find a rust-free Spit for around $3,500 or so.

And as you know, rust is really all that matters in these cars. Please be sure to inspect every nook and cranny for rust. Severe rust is particularly difficult, and expensive, to repair.

Good luck, let us know what you decide, and post here often!

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Good luck in your search -- this is a project where patience can be difficult but is often rewarded. I see you specify TR4A with no mention of TR4. I presume you're looking for an IRS car -- but you might want to consider a solid axle TR. Less $ to repair, probably more durable and a ride with a distinctive character. Good TR4s are $5K and up but (IMO) they and the 6s have appreciation potential that may make buying a nice one a reasonable alternative.

urchin

Jedi Trainee
I've owned two Spitfires, a '63 and a '78. Those early Spitfires are small and crude in comparison to the later ones. If you're mildly handicapped, then the early Spitfire might be uncomfortable. There are many later Spitfires out there and you can get a solid one for the prices you mention; it will be very difficult to find an early one for that money. The Spitfire is easily repaired and the body on frame construction means that it's easy to complete body work for it. Parts for the later Spitfires are ridiculously easy to find.

I loved the 3 years of daily driving I undertook in my '78 MGB. The rubber bumpers sure were ugly from the outside but when you're in the car, you can't see them and you will enjoy driving them. Prices are right in your ballpark and parts, of course, are absurdly available. MGB structural rust takes greater skill to repair.

But I must put a pitch in for my current love, my '80 TR-7. It's a fine car with a wide, comfortable cockpit and it handles and drives quite strongly. The 5-speed is a gem [it's a Land Rover transmission] and the 2-liter motor is strong on the later models. If an earlier FHC is still running, then you can have confience that it's received appropriate work. The TR-7 FHC is a much better proposition for your funding than a GT-6 or GT-6+. I love those cars but not many are out there for $3,500.

Good luck!!

Jeff

G

Scott,
All the above advice is sound and well intentioned. I have always been prone to believe that a car that has lived in a dry climate is best to look for. Don't they salt the roads up there in winter? Of course, who drives LBC's up there in winter. Whatever, body is everything! If you buy someone else's resto, you might make a great deal but have a pro (your bodyman?) check it out first. I am a true believer in the big Triumphs. Sexy and brutal. However, as of late, a member of our New Orleans club who has a couple of sweet MGB's has turned my eye to these beauties. Bottom line, never overlook a clean, solid MGB as a great example of LBC that is available, pound for pound and dollar for dollar, cheaper than a TR4-6. Entry level TR6 that is a restorable solid frame and body: Minimum $5K. MGB in the same condition: half that.

Bill

Bugeye58

Yoda
Well, Scott, now that we have you thoroughly confused...........
Spits are nice, cheap to operate and maintain, as are GT6's.
Both can be tight fits, depending on your physical size. I'm a Munchkin, so it doesn't bother me.
TR4/4A's are wonderful cars, but I think parts are getting a bit more difficult to find at a reasonable price.
Getting back to the Munchkin thing, I always found that the TR6 was too big for me.
Follow the yellow brick road to whichever suits you best!
Jeff

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Scoot, great advise from all and sure to give you a headache and make the choice that much more difficult. Let me add one thing to the pain in your head, go get started NOW, come spring you and all the rest of New England will be looking. Wayne

ObiRichKanobi

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Well, the purists will scream over this one, but you may want to consider a "wedge." You can pick up a really nice TR7 for about the price of a Spitfire, and if you find one with the Jetronics F/I, it performs pretty good and is fairly reliable. I bought my wedge about 2 years ago, and after a rocky start, it had a great driving season this year. Because of the styling, people who haven't seen one don't believe they are 25 years old. Anyway, just a thought...and my 2 cents.

Kevin Farley

Freshman Member
I just learning how to use this site, but how did you get to post the picture under your text. I tried to do it on a posting of mine (TR6 Two-Tone Colour) and failed. regards Kev

Bob Buxbaum

Jedi Hopeful
Scott,

All the advice you have seen is good. However, since you mentioned a modest handicap in the middle of you message, it may be important to consider that in the choice of the car. If there is a mobility issue, than a TR7 or TR8 are a lot roomier than the other models. I am 5'8" and other than a couple extra pounds on my 55 year old frame my TR8 convertible is a LOT easier to deal with than my GT6. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

Just a thought.

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
The first time I got in my TR7 to drive it home, I thought "WOW this must be the most comfortable LB sports car ever made."

ObiRichKanobi

Jedi Knight
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
I just learning how to use this site, but how did you get to post the picture under your text. I tried to do it on a posting of mine (TR6 Two-Tone Colour) and failed. regards Kev

[/ QUOTE ]

In the personal info section of your profile, there's a signature text box. Upload your picture to a web server someplace and then use UBB CODE with the URL.

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker
Hi Scott,

I'd suggest you check if there is a Triumph or British sports car club in your area. Go to a meeting or two and look over some of the cars you are considering closely and talk with the owners. You might even get some rides or some tips on locally available cars. Some members might even help you look over some prospects.

Me, as soon as I win the lottery I plan to buy a few acres and build a 2 bdrm 1 bath house plus a great big barn, then put *one each* of the cars on your list in it, to keep my '62 TR4 company. I'd also like to add a TR2, 7 and/or 8, a TR3A "Beta", an Italia, an MGA (heresy!), a Bugeye (more heresy!) and a few others.

Cheers from the left coast!

Alan

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Scott,

I say go with the Spitfire. I own two a 66 and a 79 and love both of them. As for the long run costs of buying a cheaper car and fixing it up yourself, it is true that it costs alot more, but for me personally I take alot of enjoyment in working on my cars. I'd rather buy a driving basketcase for $1400 on ebay and spend the time and money making it into the car I want rather then spending $5000 on one that is already the way I want it. To me half the fun is building the car up to a certain level. Just depends on what you are looking for, if are mostly just a driver, spend a little more it will save you alot in the long run. If you are a wrench turner who enjoys working on the car and improving it as much as you do driving it buy a cheap car to work on. And Stay away from MGs you don't want to run with that kind of crowd.