• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Thoughts on Jensen Healeys

64Elan

I'm going to look at a '74 Jensen Healy this weekend. Any thoughts on Jensen Healy's in general, or what to look for. It appears to be a clean, low milage (57k) car, with a factory hardtop. I don't know much more than that at this time. Not sure if it's something I want or not, since I've never had any experience with them.

V

vagt6

I'm no expert but I've driven a couple and a friend of mine used to have a nicely sorted one. So, I know enough to be dangerous.

The most significant thing I noted was the roominess of the cockpit, compared to most LBCs. There is a lot of room, with ample leg room. The cockpit is nice and wide, and laid out nicely. The engine is revvy with about 105-110HP, suspension good and looks are really great.

Compared to period MGs, Triumphs, etc., they're as good as any and again, with more comfort and room for touring. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase one, if I was so inclined.

Maybe someone else with a bit more knowledge can chime in.

Nice cars, IMHO. :yesnod:

JodyFKerr

Jedi Knight
I'm a big fan of the Jensen Healey, I own 2 of them. I think they've very underappreciated, and you can now buy what was once a comparatively expensive car for far less than what it's peers cost.

'74 *should* be a MKII version. These are preferable to the MKI. The early interiors were quite sparse, adn the early 907 motor has a really annoying rope seal on the rear of the block.

Keep in mind that the standard LBC checks are necessary (rust, brakes, etc, etc.)

Specifics to look for on the Jensen Healey:

Rust - Generally only occurs in the floorboards. Other location is underneath the gas tank. Floorboards are easy to replace.

Emissions - All JH's came with some form of emissions. Mainly charcoal cannister vapour cannisters. These (along with the factory air cleaner assembly) tend to dissapear over the years. Only an issue if you have emissions requirements to meet.

Bonnet - The Bonnet support area under the hood tends to get munged up pretty easily. check the area for bad repairs and/or the hood kink. It should be pretty obvious.

Engine - It's an interference engine. Make sure you hear it run or be prepared to rip it apart. Look for oil leaks at the mains, crank seals, cam covers and distributor. All are easily fixable. Check the pulley teeth for wear. The pulleys tend to wear and that may cause the belt to slip. Check for obvious helicoils in the park plug area. You get bonus points if it's equipped with A/C (highly unlikely, and if it is you'll see a boat anchor York compressor). Check the exhaust manifolds. They tend to crack/rust out. 2 piece manifold is facotry. 1 piece manifold is replacement. Also bonus points if the factory belt guard is in place.

Transmission - It should be a 4-speed Chrysler UK unit. Fairly bulletproof, but synchros are very hard to find for it. Check for leaks at the rear seal. Clutch is cable activated (non-haydraulic). Extreme bonus points of an overdrive (very rare). It's possible it may have the getrag 5 speed (a bonus, but top gear is the same as the 4speed).

Interior - All easily replaceable except for the steering column cowl. Check the footwell for brake leaks and the passenger footwell for water from the heater. Carpet kits are inexpensive. Stupid things: the escutcheon ring around the door lock and the rubber around the glovebox are unobtainable. The clocks neve worked, so don't expect it to work. Everything else is pretty simple. If it's got a roll bar then it was added later.

Top - They leak, all LBC tops leak. Check the factory top to see if there's lights in it. They shouldn't have them. :smile:

Basically, everything else is straightforward, just like any other LBC. Parts are pretty easily obtainable from Delta Motorsports. There are active Jensen Healey communities (they're just not on here other than a few of us).

Any more questions just holler.

Jody

JodyFKerr

Jedi Knight
oh, while you're at it, can you get me the Vin# of the vehicle?

We track this to get survival figures. It's estimates that there's as few as 500 of the MKII's left. Even fewer of the MKI's.

OP
64Elan

64Elan

Jody,

Excellent reply! I'll get as many details as I can including pictures and the VIN number.

,Russ

Country flag
When I think of Jensen Healey I think of this:

i_dream_of_jeannie1.jpg

Oh...wait....that was Nelson & Healey.....nevermind..... :smile:

Dale

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Can't add much but total agreement to Jody's fine reply. We have certainly enjoyed ours. Drove to Tucson and back the end of February. A nice trip and our second to Tucson with the J-H. Parts and online help very good through the Jensen Healey Preservation Society and Delta Motorsports as well as others.

JodyFKerr

Jedi Knight
Oh, totally forgot to mention carbs. Federal (US) cars came with paired Strombergs. Euro spec was dellortos. The dellortos are much preferred.

As a side note, a buddy and I have been building a prototype fuel injection and crank fired ignition setup for the lotus 907 motor. We have a running (if ugly) example. Next round is making it look pretty. We don't intend on selling kits, but mainly providing a how to for people to do it themselves.

PC

Obi Wan
Country flag
Check service records for the last valve adjustments and cam belt replacements.

The manual calls for valve adjust every 12k and cam belt replacement every 24k. (24k is long time for the belt, 18k is safer unless it's been upgraded to the later half-moon type)

It's not uncommon for a car to go 57k without having <span style="font-style: italic">either</span>, which is a snapped belt and/or burnt valve waiting to happen (or already happened). Check compression.

Speaking of burning, the most common cause for a Chernobyled JH is the fuel tee between the carbs. The factory tee is plastic. They crack and spew fuel on the distributer and starter. If it hasn't been upgraded to a metal tee it needs to be.

Another cause of fires is the o-ring seal on the bottom of the Strombergs. When they age they take a set and leak, again on the dizzy and starter. They're cheap and very easy to replace but easy to forget too.

The JH really is a the best kept secret of vintage cars. They're fast, fun, easy to live with (compared to other quirky vintage cars), and a constant source of interest and amusement wherever you drive.

pc.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Silverghost said:
When I think of Jensen Healey I think of this:

i_dream_of_jeannie1.jpg

Oh...wait....that was Nelson & Healey.....nevermind..... :smile:

CLICK!

Tullamore

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I have two of them. They are very roomy compared to most LBCs. One thing to keep in mind is although the later cars have a 5 speed transmission it only creates closer ratios, fifth gear is not an overdrive. That being said they drive great down the interstate and you don't feel like you are over-reving them.

I have found some engine parts had to come by and I had to modify the oil pump in one of the cars. They are a car you would want to make sure you have changed the timing belt on or you can do some serious damage. Easy job if you mark everything.

If the one you are looking at has a hard top that is a huge bonus. The factory hard top is so low and sleek compared to the soft top or even hard tops on other cars, very attractive.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Why is it that most Jensen Healeys seem to be in California? PJ

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
PAUL161 said:
Why is it that most Jensen Healeys seem to be in California? PJ

rust. Don't forget that these cars were not distributed evenly throughout the country. They were typically sold on the coasts and, over time, more in California for weather & lifestyle reason.

(BTW I do know it was a rhetorical question :smile: )

PC

Obi Wan
Country flag
In a sense, the JH is a California car.

When the Austin Healey was going out of production, Kjell Qvale, owner of an import car dealership network in the San Francisco Bay area, figured he needed a replacement.

He bought the majority share of Jensen Motors.

Then he asked Don and Geoffrey Healey to join the party. The rest, as they say, is history.

pc.

OP
64Elan

64Elan

It's interesting to see the responses from different forums. Here you are all encourging are at the very least neutral on this subject. On another forum (not British car specific) I asked the same question and they were less than kind of the JH. It's doughtful any of those responders ever owned or drove one, but based there opinions on rumors, or a freiend of a freind, etc.

JodyFKerr

Jedi Knight
I don't think we're necessarily neutral. If I thought the car was rubbish I'd say so. :smile:

But then I believe that most all cars have their merits and their drawbacks. What's most important is to be aware of both. Short of a lot of what was masqueraded as cars by American auto manufacturers in the 1980s the only vehicles I really have issues with are Hondas, and that's solely because they are such a pain in the bucket to work on.

Tullamore

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
64Elan said:
It's doughtful any of those responders ever owned or drove one, but based there opinions on rumors, or a freiend of a freind, etc.

People giving their opinion on the things they know nothing about, shocking! :lol:

OP
64Elan

64Elan

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! It sold today in the worst weather possible. I couldn't see it until tomorrow, and it sold today. A couple from Arkansas in town for sking in Tahoe bought it a couple hours ago, and they'll be shipping it home. They do have a Jensen Healy race car for sale as well with a trailer. I don't need that though, I need to keep on track with the Lotus. I was just looking for a nice driver. Well, I'll keep looking for maybe a TR6, TR4, TR8, Sunbeam Tiger or Alpine, blah, blah, blah...

Thanks for all the opinions and help!

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
JodyFKerr said:
But then I believe that most all cars have their merits and their drawbacks.

I agree! Even a Rolls has it's drawbacks, the main one is, it costs just too much money! :jester: PJ