• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

car ramps

Country flag
Good morning, everybody. My wife wants to get me car ramps for my birthday. Does anyone have any experience with Moss number 225-600, Race Ramps? Or have any other suggestions? I've got a 100-6 and two Sprites.

Thanks!
Larry

RAC68

Darth Vader
Although I can not recommend a set of commercially available ramps, there are instructions for building a terrific set ramps on John Sims web site at www.healey6.com “Technical”, “Miscellaneous”, “Drive on Ramps”. Although they may be overkill in meeting your objectives, they are the best I have seen in years and are worth the view.

Hope this helps,
Ray (64BJ8P1)

Tproject

Larry,

I have a BJ7. Researched ramps + purchased A set of 10" rise two piece ramps and two 10" pedestals for the rear. They work great and offer room to roll under the car with working room. They are very light weight but pricey. I found the best price at DiscountRamps site.

Tom

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Hi Larry,

I use a pair of Rhino Ramps.
They cost about $50.00
Here's a couple stock photos.

Sturdy, durable ramps allow for safe access to the underside of your vehicle. Structural foam plastic construction makes these ramps strong enough to handle most loads (12,000 lb. GVW capacity) with Core-Trac non-skid feet. 17 degree incline allows for low clearance vehicles. Works great for cars, pick-ups, sport-utilities and vans. Blitz RhinoRamps - a must for your garage!

Dimensions: Length: 35", Width: 11", Height: 8.5".

elrey

Darth Vader
Country flag
:savewave: Larry, be sure to make or buy, and use, some effective chocks for the wheels! --elrey

OP
longbridgehealey
Country flag
Thanks everybody, I think were getting close to a decision. The Rhino ramps looks like they will do the job, and the money difference would help to acquire some of the other things the cars are needing. And yep, chocks for sure.

Larry

BritBox

Jedi Hopeful
+1 on the Rhino Ramps. I've had a pair for nearly ten years and they've supported much heavier cars than my LBC. It takes a little while to wrap your brain around the idea of working underneath a car that is supported by plastic, but they work fine. Even used them on my son's '71 Chevy El Camino and that thing is a tank.

My only issue with ramps of any kind is that once you get your car onto the ramps, ground clearance at the other end is reduced enough to make it difficult to get a floor jack in place. I've had to use a scissors jack to raise the car enough to get my big floor jack underneath!

And, of course, do NOT forget to chock the tires at the end that is still on the ground! :shocked:

equiprx

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
That's another reason why I need to switch cars to something more manageable. I can't get my car onto ramps. The bumper covers push them away before the tires catch. And then I would be working with two tons on plastic. Would someone please trade me a decent mini for three Jaguars.

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
I've tried many style of ramps and was never satisfied with any of them for a Healey or any other car. The first problem is lining them up to drive on. If not right you can drive right off of them, or worse, damage your car! Plus I never felt safe working underneath without jack stands and proper wheel chocks. Plus, they take up too much space in your garage, at least my garage. I'd much rather purchase a good floor jack and a set of 4 good jack stands. A ten inch working height is obtainable with a set of good jack stands, plus you can pull wheels off.

Sorry about throwing cold water on your wife's gift but you did ask. Maybe she could spring for a set of good jack stands or a real good floor jack?

shorn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I have used rhino ramps for about 6 years and they work great. The other end of the car gets very low as the only negative. Mine were on sale for $39.95 at what is now O'Reillys.

Country flag
I like the open metal ones. They stack like spoons and sit upright on the top shelf in the garage. They will also hang on the wall if desired. I put my tools under the opening and it gives more light. The ones I have have an extension that fits on the beginning of the ramp to make the incline less then when the car is on top, you just remove the extra 8 inches until you drive down. To line them up, I place them in front, touching the tire. They are extremely sturdy but cannot be used if you intend to raise the whole car. A GOOD set of jack stands for that.
As an aside, I use a 1/4 inch thick steel plate, I think 14 inches long with a one inch turn-up along one side when I use the floor jacks. It distributes the weight and I get no dents in the frame.

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Hey TH,
Can you post a photo of your ramps, with some information of the brand, name, cost and where to purchase them?

Good to know what's out there.
Roger

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Roger I have two sets similar to those that i purchased many years ago at " Pep-Boys " they are all metal, painted yellow and stack neatly too.--Keoke

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I have had my stackable metal ones for > 20 years. Mine are red.

When I use a jack under the frame, I put a 2x4 between the jack and frame to protect the frame.

Country flag
That sounds like them, Keoke. Do they have a Swiss cheese pattern on the riser? I'll look for the brand name this evening. Photo may be difficult for a couple of days as we are up to our asses (actually 10+ feet and more expected this afternoon) in snow. I have no room to move anything around in the garage with snow removal equipment every where. So far Spring sucks.

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Are these the ramps you're referring to?

Petersen Tru-Cut Ultra Ramps

1-pc. steel construction
Stamped-in safety rig on each side of the inclines
2000-lb. rating per ramp
36in.L X 12 1/2in.W X 9in.H each

About $70.00
About $30.00 for the extensions

BabaKahawa

Jedi Knight
Johnny said:
I've tried many style of ramps....I'd much rather purchase a good floor jack and a set of 4 good jack stands. A ten inch working height is obtainable with a set of good jack stands, plus you can pull wheels off.

Sorry about throwing cold water on your wife's gift but you did ask. Maybe she could spring for a set of good jack stands or a real good floor jack?

I think you hit the nail on the head here Johnny. I have used ramps in the past, it's hard to get under and do much work..

In the end, good stands and a jack will benefit you more....

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
:savewave:

Yep Roger, those are typical but a similar set is available from PEP-Boys and others, on sale , for $29.95 I forget what the extensions cost. --Keoke-- :frown:

I noticed that the less expensive ones provide a littless lift about 10"

elrey

Darth Vader
Country flag
I've got a set in orange w/extensions but rarely use them as I prefer using a good jack and jack stands instead of driving up ramps that I may overshoot. --elrey