• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Ottre switch

66 fhc

Jedi Hopeful
Just recieved a new otter switch from XKs and I noticed that it was made with only one lead coming out the back. The one now in the over flow tank has two leads and of course there are two wires going to it. there is no part No. on the switch itself but the sealed package from S.U. seems to have the correct part No. I don't see how a single lead could work. What am I missing?

Hal Kritzman

Freshman Member
Basil, IT IS NOT THE SAME CONNECTION AS THE TEMPERATURE SENDING UNIT!
The Otter switch simply provides an earth ground
to the fan motor. One of your two leads is a ground, the other goes to the fan motor. Place
a suitable lug under one of the screws attaching the Otter switch to the overflow tank and connect
the ground wire to it. This assures the Otter switch is proving a good ground when it switches.

Basil

Administrator
Boss
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Hal Kritzman:
Basil, IT IS NOT THE SAME CONNECTION AS THE TEMPERATURE SENDING UNIT!
The Otter switch simply provides an earth ground
to the fan motor. One of your two leads is a ground, the other goes to the fan motor. Place
a suitable lug under one of the screws attaching the Otter switch to the overflow tank and connect
the ground wire to it. This assures the Otter switch is proving a good ground when it switches.
<hr></blockquote>

Oops, you're right...my bad! I got the two mixed up. Sorry
blush.gif
<<(been looking for an excuse to use that one)

Basil

(Note that I deleted my orignail errant post so as to avoide an undue confusion) So, do you think they send him the wrong switch?

[ 02-02-2002: Message edited by: Basil ]</p>

Hal Kritzman

Freshman Member
I don't believe the original type Otter is currently being manufactured. The available single pole type which uses its case as the ground point is what the suppliers have been selling for some time now. Unless you get lucky and find a NOS original, this newer version is what you have to use. It functions identically so it's only those of us who are sticklers for "originality" in Concours should pay the outragious prices asked for the NOS when they are offered. Your choice, One or the OTTER!!
lol.gif

[ 02-02-2002: Message edited by: Hal Kritzman ]</p>

Basil

Administrator
Boss
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by 66 fhc:
I otter listen to you guys more often. Does Lucas make a switch that shuts off bad puns?<hr></blockquote>

That would be "otterly" ridiculous
cowboy.gif

Patrick McLoad

Freshman Member
The replys on the Otter switch are correct, however, remember that these switches CAN go bad. I have a new one on my header tank and I got maybe 3 months of use out of it before it went bad. You should always do the following: let the engine heat up until the fan switches on, this way you know it works. Second, always carry a wire with an alligator clip on both ends. With this, you can connect the fan wire (black/red) directly to a good ground should the otter switch fail while on the road. Also, if the header tank is low (or even empty) there won't be any hot water to make it switch. Happy motoring!

OP

66 fhc

Jedi Hopeful
Patrick, you are so right. The new switch does'nt work at all. I ran the temp up to 110 deg
, water in tank, all hooked up proper and it would'nt do diddley. A replacement is on the way. Mabey I'll try and test it first on the stove. Draining the coolant etc. to replace bad parts gets old.