• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Who's at the top of the list now?

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Back in the Dark Ages when I was in my 20s (1960s and 70s), I listened to music from:

Don McLain, Carly Simon, Paul Simon, The Byrds, Paul McCartney, Al Stewart, The Band, Chicago, America, Dan Fogelberg, Blood Sweat & Tears, Jim Croce, Peter Frampton, Peter Paul & Mary, Arlo Guthrie, Mamas and Papas, James Taylor, Gordon Lightfoot, Cat Stevens, Seals and Crofts, Harry Chapin (Yes!!!), etc. etc.

And I still do.

But who are the "big names in music" these days - for folks in their 20s?

Your turn.
Tom

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Nobody I know or care to listen to!

:devilgrin:

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
My Daughter says: Justin Beeber, Taylor Swift, Celina Gomez, Mylie Cyrus, Jonas Brothers...
(Almost all brought to the top by Disney).... But that's a 10 year old. There is a whole different set added to that on the local I-can't-stand-it pop station.
My listening set reads very similar to yours.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
That ain't the 20's music list. More like High school

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I'm one who came of age in the 1980s -- not the best time for pop music. A friend gave me a copy of Led Zeppelin's "Houses of the Holy" and it changed my life. Haven't really listened to much modern radio music since.

No idea who's the latest thing, but I can find you some great banjo jazz or killer mandolin music. :smile:

jessebogan

Jedi Knight
Sorry... For me it is still the Good OL Grateful Dead, Zappa, Hot Tuna, and Jorma solo, David Bromberg, A little Glenn Miller, Garcia band, David Grisman the very much missed Sublime,...and if I am in the mood, a little selected eminem.Pretty much threw in the towel on "popular" music a looong time ago.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
My list isn't all that far from Tom's, although I'd certainly have to list a lot more British Invasion, surf/Beach Boys-style, Brill Building/Phil Spector/girl group stuff, and 50s stuff, and Herb Alpert, etc., etc. (too much more than I can list or that you want to read about, but suffice it to say that Andy Williams and Nat King Cole would be on the list, along with Glenn Miller, both Dorsey brothers and beyond).

My 19-year-old son's list includes all the above, some modern alternative (notably including ska and other sub-genres), and it also goes back to Beethoven, Faust, R. Vaughn-Williams and so many, many others (well, so do I, but he knows more of it and more about it than I ever did! Oh, did I mention he's a sophomore in college and a music major?). My almost 22-year-old daughter's list is similar to her brother's (she's not a music major but had extensive music experience through her high school years). Neither's list includes Justin Bieber, btw. :laugh:

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
It's great to see all these names again. Brings back a *lot* of memories.

But who/what are *today's* 20 year olds listening to? Not the junior high Bieber stuff - but what music does the 20-something generation listen to now?

OK - crawling back into my cave now (and putting a Seals & Crofts cylinder on my gramophone).

T.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Having two kids in that age range, I am stunned by the variety of what they do listen to. The stratification of genres; math rock, chill, thrash metal, punk metal fusion, steampunk to name a few. I couldn't even tell you the name of bands since many are indie bands with limited circulation. I've heard some of it and, while not all my taste, it's not bad. What I do appreciate is that for the most part they would rather sit in a club with 250 people than a stadium with 60,000. Also, took a 23 year old family friend to the car show friday. He and my 24 year old son got comparing notes on the various bluegrass clubs in town - didn't see that coming. He also has a lot of classic rock on his ipod.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
From an old <span style="font-style: italic"> Time </span> magazine essay (August 19, 1966):

<span style="color: #3333FF">
"A STENCH in the ear," wrote Ambrose Bierce, fulminating against noise in the long tradition of sensitive and thinking men. Marcel Proust was so fastidious about noise that he had his study lined with cork. Juvenal bemoaned the all-night cacophony of imperial Rome, observing that "most sick people perish for want of sleep." To Schopenhauer it was clear that "the amount of noise which anyone can bear undisturbed stands in inverse proportion to his mental capacity, and may therefore be regarded as a pretty fair measure of it."

</span>

brooklands, my list is similar to yours, wow "the Buckinghams" havnt hear that name in a long time, i can make my list short here by saying i listen to most forms of music but cant take rap,hip hop, or heavy metal.

scoutll

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I really don't pay any attention to new music. In fact I don't listen to current music on the radio, just classic stations.
I listen to a wide variety of 50's - 70's folk, rock and country. My favorite singer since he released "Song for a winters night" in 1967, has been Gordon Lightfoot.

Brooklands

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Anthony7777,
I recently converted my Buckingham's Portraits album from vinyl to MP3. It was great to listen to some of those cuts again. That was their first album, I believe, done with producer James William Guercio, who later went to Blood, Sweat, and Tears, and then to be tied to Chicago. He really worked the brass instrumentation into all three groups.

equiprx

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
jessebogan said:
Sorry... For me it is still the Good OL Grateful Dead, Zappa, Hot Tuna, and Jorma solo, David Bromberg, A little Glenn Miller, Garcia band, David Grisman the very much missed Sublime,...and if I am in the mood, a little selected eminem.Pretty much threw in the towel on "popular" music a looong time ago.

David Bromberg was at the top of my list for years and I went to every local show he did, back in the days. His shows never ended when they were supposed to and the whole band came back for a two hour encore at every show. John Pryne, and Lyle Lovett also is a favorite. I went to see David Grisman only because he was opening for Stephan Grappelli a few times. I knew that I would never be able to see him play enough times before he died. That was the best ever. Joe Ely is great live as well as the rest of the Tex-Mex bands like Flocko Himenez.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Jimmy Buffett, Amboy Dukes, Byrds, Norma Tanega, Moby Grape, UB-40, Little Village, Yothu Yindi, Job-2-Do...

My "A-List".

Waaay too many more, mostly from the '60's to the '70's tho.

And a bunch from WW-II era: Artie Shaw, Goodman, the Dorsy Bros, The Andrews Sisters (my mom and her two sisters were stunningly able to emulate them while washing dishes!). Harmonic and sweet. Complex. Only Lennon and McCartney came close to that kind of construct.

"Contemporary" music lacks, well, MUSIC.

equiprx

Luke Skywalker
Country flag

William

Darth Vader
NutmegCT said:
But who/what are *today's* 20 year olds listening to? Not the junior high Bieber stuff - but what music does the 20-something generation listen to now?

I am working under the assumption that most of you are about my parents' ages (late fifties/early sixties). So....

You are making the mistake that a lot of people from your generation tend to make-that the only way people get their music info is from listening to one of three radio stations in their area, all of which play pretty much the same songs, and from watching Ed Sullivan on Sundays. The choices are so much easier to access now, that there aren't any universally popular artists anymore-you can't just narrow it down to "what the kids like these days".

-Wm.